Another plants thread

Vilamos

Greetings,

I’m planning my first chameleon vivarium and the whole safe plants issue is kinda messy, I have seen many conflicting reports over the ficus and the scefflera, even the species considered safe.
Take a look at this section I found on the scefflera aboricola wikipedia page,

Poisoning

Schefflera poisoning is due to the species containing "sharp" calcium oxalate crystals that are insoluble and damage the cells and tissues of the animals ingesting them. Depending on the amount that a pet consumes the resulting damage (swelling) of exposed tissues and digestive tract may be fatal to the animal. Household pets should be kept away from consuming this plant (nibbling) for their own safety as should all children.

Due to the misuse and confusion of the common name "Umbrella Plant" or "Umbrella Tree" this species has been mistakenly included on many internet lists as "safe plants" for reptile keepers. The presence of oxalate crystals is a known issue and consumption can be regarded potentially serious as the calcium oxalate crystals can significantly damage liver and kidneys of the animals ingesting any part of this or related Schefflera species. Symptoms in pets can include: cardiac arrhythmia, diarrhea, vomiting , dilated eyes, difficulty swallowing, excessive drooling, hoarse barking, labored breathing, loss of appetite numbness of exposed area(s), obstruction of the airway, pawing/rubbing at the face or mouth and the swelling of the tongue and lips.

Does the awfully sensetive chameleon able to break these down?

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You'll find that oxalate crystals are in many plants. Pothos is another favorite that has these. It's a common defense mechanism for plants, even the veggies we eat can cause kidney stones for certain people. Chameleons are surrounded by highly toxic plants In the wild, we probably shouldn't try to replicate that, but imo the best bet would be to use plants for plant eating species, that others have had longterm success with. Though I admit, I have wondered many times if chameleons stripping pothos and other plants is causing any sort of longterm damage. If you don't keep a veiled though I wouldn't worry.

Well, I have both schefflera and pothos in my cage. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have a panther... is this just a thing with veileds?

Back
Top Bottom