Another Picky eater?

Axotik Reptiles

Disclaimer: I've been searching the forums for a few hours and didn't find a situation quite like mine so I figured I'd make a post.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Male Veiled Chameleon, approx. 5 Months old.
  • Handling - A few times a month, he's is usually pretty tame but has his moods lol.
  • Feeding - Super worms, meal worms, crickets, wax worms, and been trying horn worms with no interest from the Chameleon. Gut loaded with carrots. Dusted daily with calcium without d3, 2-3 times a month with d3. Fed once a day either by tong or food bowl designed for chameleons.
  • Supplements - Zoomed repti Calcium
  • Watering - Distilled water with a constant dripper, mister is active every 4 hours for 2 minutes to retain humidity, encloser dries before the next mist. I see him drink daily.
  • Fecal Description - consistent large 'normal color' feces. One or two times it was a dark yellowish urite.
  • History - was an extremely well eater untill last month when things started slowing down.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - 4ft x 3ft x 2ft, screen with a few sides covered to retain humidity.
  • Lighting - DIY, lighting is 12hrs a day with a double tube exo terra uvb hood and a zoomed 100w basking bulb.
  • Temperature - 22°c floor temp, 26ish°c over all Temps, basking between 32°c - 38°c. Two digital thermometer/hydrometers with probe
  • Humidity - between 45% and 70%
  • Plants - Mixture of live and fake, trying to phase out all fake plants. Plants include 1 Money Tree, 1 Croton, and 2 ivy plants. All soil is covered with disinfected rocks.
  • Placement - Inside reptile room, fairly close the baseboard heater. Traffic is fairly low, 3-4 times a day at most.
  • Location - Newfoundland, Canada.

Current Problem - My Veiled Kygo is being relatively picky lately, he only eats every 2-4 days regardless of what feeder is used, and when he does eat it is a very small amount. He is very active, climbs around his cage to and from the basking spot just about all day. I'm concerned because of his age that his eating shouldn't have slowed down quite yet. His mood is all over the place as well, sometime he doesn't mind me other times like today he was black as coal when I opened his doors. I'm thinking maybe he is getting hormonal but figured at 5 months it was a little too young.

Any input is appreciated, where I live the feeders I listed is about all we are able to get this time of year and the weather is fairly cold outside but the reptile room remains a steady temp at 22°c.

IMG_20191202_130452.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

IMG_20191116_153911.jpg

Perhaps something outside it’s cage has changed maybe a reflection or some type of animal? Also though you cage is a nice size I don’t see much foliage area for him to hide and feel secure. If there is stress this can lead to a lack of appetite.

Back
Top Bottom