another noob question. -_-

jdmjames

okay so from my understanding you arent suppose to feed these guys too close to "lights out" but how close is too close? is 2 hours before fine?

p.s i tried searching but i didnt find anything, sorry if this has been asked 1000times.

lmao, no i just read something on that saying they will poop undigested food when they wake up and since i do own plenty of reptiles it kinda made sense since reptiles need heat to digest their foor and my heat comes from my basking light, which goes off at night. it made some sense to me so i believed it -_- and since i am new to chameleons i thought i would ask lol. better to be safe than sorry, i would be very sad if my veiled (jharjhar) died. ive had him 3days now and i love him so much already lol.

I would say 2 hours is a minimum...I'd be more comfortable with 4. The deal is, when they sleep, they really sleep. Digestion and sleep don't really go together for chameleons (unlike Pandas who have to sleep after eating). So, it's better to give them time to digest while they can bask under the light.

i was under the impression its best to feed early in the day.

it is and middle of the day is fine....cuz you know the basking llight will be on for some time, and your cham will have time to go bask and digest food....

i only fed my chams i the past and now, in the morning, maybe an occasional bug treat in the middle of the day, but thats it...but watering is more frequent....

ohh so what i read was right, i knew it made sense lol. well then i'll start leaving crix the his cage from the morningg. he ate 20 today! he was hungry lol. he normally eats around 10 so thats what i put but he shot his tongue at the cricket keeper so one by one i fed him more. he doesnt seem to drink much though i mist for 10minutes in the morning i have rigged a jub to drip water on leaves but i never see him drinking, his uriates are white with a tiny bit of yellow which means hes hydrated so im not worried but at my LPS they drink as soon as you spray. its a reptile shop.

It is best to feed early in the day and never right before lights out. Your cham with need the heat from the lights to digest their food.

Back
Top Bottom