Another Newbie/Worried Dad

You mention, they release a gas is it harmful to us??

Hi, the gas isn't harmful to people..just the crickets. Also I wouldn't recommend sand for a substrate to cover the dirt on your plants. If anything use larger rocks/pebbles that can't be eaten. From what I hear some veilds also like to eat their substrate...I don't know why. Also, make sure your plants are non toxic because veilds like to eat plants too :)

I think Drew 99% of the time can sell all his babies and rarely has anything older left.

But still, he may be able to up-sell you a nice panther he has !

Harry (ChromaChameleons) might have something as well, give each of them a call, great people to deal with.

Tamara offerd me a great deal on a panther! but i got burned with a bad fish experience and now the wife keeps saying "its the fish deal all over again"
If I BUY A PANTHER AND IT DIES! THE CAGE WILL BE MY NEW HOME FOR PROTECTION FROM THE WIFE!

Tamara offerd me a great deal on a panther! but i got burned with a bad fish experience and now the wife keeps saying "its the fish deal all over again"
If I BUY A PANTHER AND IT DIES! THE CAGE WILL BE MY NEW HOME FOR PROTECTION FROM THE WIFE!

From your pics the enclosure looks like it's really nice so if worse comes to worse you might be happy there...Just kidding..LOL! You're doing a lot of great research and prep "before" you get your new Cham. You'd be surprised how many people don't. I'm sure you'll do fine with your new addition :):):)

Uh, yeah... Bites hurt. I was bitten by a 3 1/2" snout to vent female panther yesterday and I still have marks. She wasn't even trying either! Imagine what a 7-8" snout to vent massive and agressive male can do if he tried. (my veiled bit me when he was 2" snout to vent and broke my skin :eek: )

my panther is super chill though :)

From your pics the enclosure looks like it's really nice so if worse comes to worse you might be happy there...Just kidding..LOL! You're doing a lot of great research and prep "before" you get your new Cham. You'd be surprised how many people don't. I'm sure you'll do fine with your new addition :):):)

I hope so, the fish experience got expensive at first! I don't want repeat!

their bite can TEAR UP your skin
if the chameleon wanted to

they will usually just nip you as a warning
but there might be the day he/she just isnt in a good
mood

how old are your daughters??

I suggest getting a cham from a reputable breeder
like chameleon nation

just to be safe

do you know of a vet around your area??

Thanks if I was more sure of my self I would buy a Panther

A couple of thoughts. In support of "the towel" as a blockade: getting wet and retaining moisture could be very helpful in keeping humidity up (important when there's air conditioning during the summer and heat during the winter). Towels can be bought for fairly cheap and easily washed, so just have a stack and change daily.

While the cricket gas isn't harmful to humans, many people and I suspect most children are allergic to cricket poop. Insect poop is considered one of the leading causes of respiratory problems in children. So, if you do decide to try keeping large numbers, make sure the container is away from the kids.

As you are planning to gutload the night before using the crickets, you can use any number of commercial cricket food products for your "daily feed". I would suggest you give them at least 24 hours with "the good stuff" before using them though. I've found that "full crickets" don't throw themselves on the kale and dandelion leaves the way I'd like them too.

Uh, yeah... Bites hurt. I was bitten by a 3 1/2" snout to vent female panther yesterday and I still have marks. She wasn't even trying either! Imagine what a 7-8" snout to vent massive and agressive male can do if he tried. (my veiled bit me when he was 2" snout to vent and broke my skin :eek: )

my panther is super chill though :)

I was told at the store they were safe and non violent, and they pulled the flap neck cham out for me to handle, it was peaceful. They told me its a great pet. Starting to feel like I was talking to a used car salesman!!

I started with a Veiled and within 6 months had a Panther.
The care for the two is very similar. If you have done your reseach,which it seems you are, you will be fine.
It would be best to stay away from the pet stores and buy from a good breeder.
Harry at Chroma Chameleons had trans veileds last time I spoke to him, which are a little more expensive, and of course Panthers.

A couple of thoughts. In support of "the towel" as a blockade: getting wet and retaining moisture could be very helpful in keeping humidity up (important when there's air conditioning during the summer and heat during the winter). Towels can be bought for fairly cheap and easily washed, so just have a stack and change daily.

While the cricket gas isn't harmful to humans, many people and I suspect most children are allergic to cricket poop. Insect poop is considered one of the leading causes of respiratory problems in children. So, if you do decide to try keeping large numbers, make sure the container is away from the kids.

As you are planning to gutload the night before using the crickets, you can use any number of commercial cricket food products for your "daily feed". I would suggest you give them at least 24 hours with "the good stuff" before using them though. I've found that "full crickets" don't throw themselves on the kale and dandelion leaves the way I'd like them too.

The great advice I've been getting from you guys, I think I'm going to keep small number of crickets and maybe purchase on a two week or monthly basis.
I think i'm going to use a shower curtain for blockage from the tank and if need more humidity, maybe mister or fogger in combination with dripper

I was told at the store they were safe and non violent, and they pulled the flap neck cham out for me to handle, it was peaceful. They told me its a great pet. Starting to feel like I was talking to a used car salesman!!

All chams have their own personalities. Whether you can handle it or not is subject both to the type/species of cham and just plain ol' personality of the individual cham. Some can be handled easily and some can't. Unfortunately, a flap neck isn't a veiled which isn't a panther and so on....

I can only vouch for my experience of having a Jackson's cham..which I can honestly say I can hold anytime I want without any problems. I've been very lucky that way. But, that's for my cham..not all Jackson's can be handled like I handle mine although the species is known to be fairly laid back.

I started with a Veiled and within 6 months had a Panther.
The care for the two is very similar. If you have done your reseach,which it seems you are, you will be fine.
It would be best to stay away from the pet stores and buy from a good breeder.
Harry at Chroma Chameleons had trans veileds last time I spoke to him, which are a little more expensive, and of course Panthers.

Chroma Chameleons is up in Barrie right? Goggle what would be more dramatizing for the cham, a two hour car ride or complete darkness in delivery? Whats your opinion? are the trans chams more colourful?

Chroma Chameleons is up in Barrie right? Google what would be more dramatizing for the cham, a two hour car ride or complete darkness in delivery? Whats your opinion? are the trans chams more colourful?

Either way whether in the car or delivered it's going to stress the cham. No way around it. But, if you decide to pick it up and drive it home I would cover it so it stays dark for the trip home.

All chams have their own personalities. Whether you can handle it or not is subject both to the type/species of cham and just plain ol' personality of the individual cham. Some can be handled easily and some can't. Unfortunately, a flap neck isn't a veiled which isn't a panther and so on....

I can only vouch for my experience of having a Jackson's cham..which I can honestly say I can hold anytime I want without any problems. I've been very lucky that way. But, that's for my cham..not all Jackson's can be handled like I handle mine although the species is known to be fairly laid back.

Hopefully I get lucky like you! with kids its just more enjoyable if they can actually see it up close, but if it chooses to be aggressive! it will be just like the fish! seen but not touched! the 2 yr old doesn't get it! he's tried to grab fish! that why theres' a good latch on the cage!

The car ride would definately be a shorter time than delivery! car ride it is! with a thin clothe on it to breathe!

Back
Top Bottom