Another horrible encounter with PETCO..

ChameleonRave

Avid Member
Well two weeks ago I went to PETCO..

I found a female veiled maybe 3-4 months old with MBD. I tried to get the staffs attention but they ignored me.

Here is what she looked like..

Attachments

• IMG025.jpg
    IMG025.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 170
If you can handle it look on my youtube Karmapocolypse, the two newest vids are from a nearby family owned (not mine I assure you) pet shop. I threatened to report them after informing them how to take care of them, and they stopped carrying reptiles other than snakes completely.

I'm going back down with my camera and taking pictures of all their reptiles and habitats, if I am able to I will video tape how they treat people. I emailed the company again and requested the CEO replied. I compare this crap hole with a puppy mill. I got kicked out of a group on facebook that was sioux falls herp society, just because I said I didn't like PETCO. I was called rude names by someone on the group and said they didn't deserve me saying anything rude because they support that society. She obviously supports animals abuse..

I needed an extra FF culture. My friend wanted to see their snakes *shivers* and I asked if she could look at them. I usually don't talk to them anymore. I posted on Petco's site and emailed them. I hope to hear something soon.

we just need to start reporting and making youtube videos when these so called expert pet stores carry them and record them telling bs info on them sooner or later they will stop and hopefully be put out of business. but don't ever buy cause they will just get more we need to get more serious in reporting them for animal abuse. i know well for us experct cham keepers we can put an end to this its going to take a little time but sooner rather then later we can end this bs by these crappy pet stores.

I like Petco, and Petsmart, they carry my dog's food (which is a legitimately healthy brand), great toys, and really cute stuff for her. They are stores I regularly go into just for the hell of walking my dog around a store she enjoys, because she sees dogs and gets to pick out treats.

I don't want them out of business.

However, if you see something wrong with the way they treat their animals then say so politely. Take a photo of the animal in question, and take the time to write a detailed, polite, and maturely written letter explaining why it is that the animal in the above photo is in such bad shape. Perhaps even include a photo of what a healthy animal looks like to compare. Send a copy to corporate and to the manager of the specific store.

People ALWAYS respond better to friendly advice than to criticism. After all, who are you to them? What do you know, as far as they're concerned? I've found employees that bred leopard geckos and had the stupidest advice for me. But why is that person going to respect my angry advice if she's doing great with her animals, as far as she's concerned? Friendly advice is always going to be better received.

I made the mistake of buying my first cham from petco a couple weeks ago because I didnt trust buying one online. He looked a bit skinny there, I thought it was no problem. But now, whenever he moves I can see his ribs and he doesnt want to eat that much in the past 2 days. I really hope he doesnt have parasites, but I dont have enough money for a vet visit. Im scared for my little jose quervo. :/.

We got our girl from the petco in Flanders NJ almost a year ago and she was and is very happy and healthy... But To be honest the people in this particular store have no idea how to care for something as complex as a veiled. Not even a teeny tiny clue.

My husband and I went into the store in Rockaway and were very impressed with the small pet managers knowledge and willingness to have a conversation. They have two little males right now and we are really thinking of getting one next payday.

It really does depend on the individual staff ... You can't lump everyone together.

I made the mistake of buying my first cham from petco a couple weeks ago because I didnt trust buying one online. He looked a bit skinny there, I thought it was no problem. But now, whenever he moves I can see his ribs and he doesnt want to eat that much in the past 2 days. I really hope he doesnt have parasites, but I dont have enough money for a vet visit. Im scared for my little jose quervo. :/.

Not trying to be rude but there is no point in slaging off petco on here when to be frank you shouldn't of bought an animal if you can't afford to take it to a vets.. :rolleyes:

As im English i've never seen what a petco shop is like but i have heard a lot of bad stuff on here about them. :mad: These threads really upset me and im now gonna stop reading them as i find it heartbreaking, what i would say is no one likes a mr/miss no it all (not that im saying you are) but someone coming into there shop and telling them they are doing all this wrong when its there job aint gonna go down to well i would just try and have a friendly chat and give them ideas on how to make the animals homes better and hope they take it on board then go back if nothing has changed i would then go a head and make a complaint by contacting your nearest humane society and im sure they will direct you to who in your area will deal with the problem. Good luck Zac i hope they improve very soon and if not don't set foot in the shop no matter how bad your friend wants to see some snakes or anything else as shops like that are not worth setting foot in unless you want your day ruined and get upset.

It's always worth the effort to go in and help a chameleon (or any animal in despair) by explaining what you see. Don't get emotional though. Just express what you see wrong and help them fix the problem. If it's just a matter of changing lighting or raising temps or providing water, some pet stores will make the adjustment immediately. In my experience, they are really appreciative of the help.

Not all will respond in the same way but many do take your advice so long as you know how to provide it. Your job is to help the chameleon, not attack the middle man who can help you help the chameleon.

Stay positive. You may not be able to solve all of the suffering going on in pet stores, but you can help the animals that you encounter.

Back
Top Bottom