Another eye problem

lonomac

I moved my 4 month old cham into a 24x24x48 cage last weekend. Everything been going great until Sunday I noticed one of his eyes closed. I could see it moving around but his eyelid just wouldn't open. After reading up on it, some suggestions were lack of Vit A, or poor UVB. He has been using a reptisun 10.0 for a week now, upgraded from a 5.0. Gave him more Vit A and moved his UVB light over to a more convenient spot. Today I noticed his eye opened back up but it is sunken in, my guess is dehydration? He always eats just fine, thats never an issue. I did notice after putting him in the larger cage I have not been seeing him drink much. Haven't had a chance to get a pic yet. Ill probably hook him up with his first shower tonight unless theres any other suggestions...

* Cage Type - Aluminum 24x24x48
* Lighting - Reptisun 10.0, on approximately 9 hours. Was using a 5.0
* Temperature - Room temp stays at 80, basking 85
* Humidity - 35-40% normal, 45-50 after misting. Thats with humidifier cranked up.
* Plants - 1 Pothos, 1 Ficus, 1 Schefflera
* Location - in a room of its own, is near an AC vent though...

Chameleon Info:
* Your Chameleon - Male Sambave, approx 4 months old
* Feeding - Mostly silkworms, keep crickets in the cage but he doesnt like them much. An occasional phoenix worm. Crickets are the only gutloaded insect I use.
* Supplements - I use the Kammer schedule
* Watering - Pro mist spray 10 min x3 times daily
* Fecal Description - They seem fine...
* History - Recently moved him to this new cage, been there for 8 days.
* Current Problem - Right eye was closed, now its open but sunken in. The left eye looks fine.

I did read somewhare on this site that sometimes the new screen cages will cause eye problems. No one is certain why, but most folks began washing them thoroughly before use, thinking there may be some sort of residue left on the surface during manufacture. The thorough washing seemed to take care of it. Even the most seasoned owners were noticing the eye problems related to initial cage use. Just thought I'd let you know, in case it could be related to your situation.

Awfully young to show signs of a Vitamin A deficiency??

Hi!
My previous Panther Chameleon did have a Vitamin A deficiency and unfortunetly died but he was a lot older...around 9 months. One of his eyes closed starting when he was around 7 months of age and from there, he slowly went downhill after I took him to a 2nd Vet because he was mis-diagnosed by my first Vet as having a URI and it turned out to be a Vit. A deficiency. When I tried to remedy the problem with better gut-loaded insects and by a Vitamin A injection thru my 2nd Vet, it was already too late.
I don't think that a Chameleon as young as yours can develop a Vitamin A deficiency at that age.....Maybe I'm totally wrong and it would be nice to get other people's input regarding Vitamin A deficency effecting such a young Chameleon already!

Christine

I've had Ed and Liddy Kammer tell me that the reptisun 10.0 are WAY too much for even a veiled.
they lost some of their animals by using that tube where the controls (5.0 tube) were still fine.
More is not always better.

you can burn their eyes (just like a humans) with that level of UVa/b.
is the affected eye the one that is most exposed to that new light?

If it is, then I would get my money back and reinstall the 5.0.

Last edited:
Howdy,

Some thoughts...

No more addition of vitamin A for now.

Go back to the Reptisun 5.0 assuming that it is less than 12 months old. Make it 6"-12" away. I'm assuming that neither UVB light was a compact version.

Continue with at least 10 minutes at least twice a day but I'd suggest letting things dry out by his bedtime. Try some nice 100F water in a pump-up mist bottle and slowly sneak-up on him until you can give him a really good light-duty showering. If he has something in his eye, he may try to was it out. If not then at least he's getting a good chance to hydrate :).

Sometimes it's an eye infection or debris in the eye. But remember, a chameleon's eyes are often the window into their health. (Sounds a bit too "new age" to me :)) When they close an eye and then the other (sometimes days later), this is usually an indication that things are going really wrong. Let's hope that the misting takes care of it.

chrisandpugs ...sorry you lost your chameleon.
How was it determined to be a vitamin A deficiency?
What lights were you using?

I did read somewhare on this site that sometimes the new screen cages will cause eye problems. No one is certain why, but most folks began washing them thoroughly before use, thinking there may be some sort of residue left on the surface during manufacture. The thorough washing seemed to take care of it. Even the most seasoned owners were noticing the eye problems related to initial cage use. Just thought I'd let you know, in case it could be related to your situation.
I believe that comment about washing cages was directed ONLY towards Reptarium/Flexarium type cages.

Eye problems...........

I use Reptisun 10.0 flourescent tube lights on all my adult cham cages and have never had a problem. I need the 10.0 lights in order for the UV lighting to reach down into the taller adult cages. I use the Reptisun 5.0 tube lights on all my smaller baby cages. I have had issues, however, with the 5.0 and 10.0 compact flourescent lights. They are not reliable in my opinion. I had some eye problems with them and one skin burn. They are prone to failure and don't last very long. Not sure if you are using the long tube lights or the compact, screw in type.

I think the showering and extra misting is a good idea. Can you get him to open the eye somehow and look at it? Is there anything unusual that you can see in there like inflamation or mucus? There is another thread I just posted to about the benefits of cod liver oil for Vitamin A issues. This would be used in place of powdered supplements. Does his new cage have any new plants that could have irritated the eye? Keep us posted on what happens :)

I swapped his light out to a 5.0 anyway. His eye is open now mostly but sunken in his head. his other eye is still just fine and hes eating well, but he cant see food very well it seems. Hes not even making an effort to shoot his tongue very far. I misted him down big time with warm water and will keep doing that when possible. Taking him to a vet for the first time Thursday though.

Time for vet........

Taking him to the vet is the best thing to do. Glad you are doing it. It sounds like some sort of infection now with your most recent post. The vet will be able to check the eye with a scope to see what the deal is. Let us know after the visit! Keeping your boy in my thoughts :)

Well I took this kid into the Vet. They opened up his eyelid and saw bright red blood in his eye. I forget the term she used...hema something. Basically its a symptom of low humidity, something Ive been battling to get up but its hard here in the desert. But other than that he very healthy I'm told. I have some antibiotics to put on his eye(hes going to be pissed for a while) but will live.

Where abouts do you live? Spray lots and consider a humidifier... Wal-Mart usually has quite a few to pick from for under 40

Where abouts do you live? Spray lots and consider a humidifier... Wal-Mart usually has quite a few to pick from for under 40

Yep I live in Phoenix and I do those 2 things. Did get a humidifier in Walmart but doesnt seem to to much. Maybe kicked the Humidity up 5%ish. Spray kicks humidity up high but only for about 30-45 min. Stays 35-40% normally, not the greatest but didn't think it would give him bloodeye

Humidity......

I'm glad you got a good result at your vet. Not sure what your cage set up is. Is it possible to add more potted plants. Plants do a fabulous job of keeping humidity up for long periods of time. They release it from the soil and the leave trap the misting droplets. The more plants you have the more humidity. Just a thought :)

Back
Top Bottom