Another Corporate Chain Petstore Horror story.

csmolins89

Yesterday I went into Petco to get crickets as there are no local mom and pop shops in my area that sell them. Looking around while waiting for my crickets I took a look at the reptiles they had available and looked into a Jackson's cage and saw one of the saddest things I have ever seen since being a cham owner, the poor girl was laying on the bottom of the cage covered in crickets not moving, I assumed she was gone. So, while holding back the urge to cuss out the staff at the store, I informed them that the jackson had passed. The lady went and got the jackson out of the cage and she stated, "See she's still alive, but she's not going to make it, she was supposed to see a vet , she came in this way". I was so upset and furious by this statement, if the cham is so sick that it is laying on the bottom of the cage then a vet visit is the first thing that needed to be done. If it was so sick it couldn't move and nothing could be done, it needed to be humanly euthanized to end its suffering. Has anyone else experienced this before? I know that there is nothing I can do but it made me extremely angry/sad.

And Petco continues to disappoint. That has to be the worst one yet, breaks my heart.

And they knew when she got there that she couldn't walk or climb, yet they still put a bunch of crickets in with her just to crawl on her, most likely nibble on her skin? Poor thing.

Yesterday I went into Petco to get crickets as there are no local mom and pop shops in my area that sell them. Looking around while waiting for my crickets I took a look at the reptiles they had available and looked into a Jackson's cage and saw one of the saddest things I have ever seen since being a cham owner, the poor girl was laying on the bottom of the cage covered in crickets not moving, I assumed she was gone. So, while holding back the urge to cuss out the staff at the store, I informed them that the jackson had passed. The lady went and got the jackson out of the cage and she stated, "See she's still alive, but she's not going to make it, she was supposed to see a vet , she came in this way". I was so upset and furious by this statement, if the cham is so sick that it is laying on the bottom of the cage then a vet visit is the first thing that needed to be done. If it was so sick it couldn't move and nothing could be done, it needed to be humanly euthanized to end its suffering. Has anyone else experienced this before? I know that there is nothing I can do but it made me extremely angry/sad.

You could report a "dead or dying animal on display" to your local animal control agency. Call your city offices to find out who inspects pet shop conditions. Tell them they have a dying animal for sale. That may get some action. Its harder to get action on an animal that is not being housed exactly right (but it has water and food), but an obviously dying animal that is still being displayed is a different matter.

This is the kind of thing that I'm afraid of. My buddy's son works at a major pet chain, he mentioned my chameleons and immediately got an offer from his boss- for every panther baby I was selling. I have to admit that it is an appealing offer but the first thing that came to mind was that many will probably perish there in the store. Sad.

You could report a "dead or dying animal on display" to your local animal control agency. Call your city offices to find out who inspects pet shop conditions. Tell them they have a dying animal for sale. That may get some action. Its harder to get action on an animal that is not being housed exactly right (but it has water and food), but an obviously dying animal that is still being displayed is a different matter.

I guess by now they have removed it from display. Do you think that I should still file a report?

Yes, still report it. Even if the chameleon has been removed. At least it will be on file so if there is another report made, there is a history on file and will be taken seriously.

It's very unfortunate. I just recently purchased my first chameleon from them and 3 days later i purchased my panther chameleon from FLchams. My panther was always very healthy and active. The veiled was always just laying there and made some squeaky noises and air bubbles. (To me he seemed healthy, Since I'm a first time chameleon pet owner). Anyhow as i started reading about these creatures i noticed he showed signs of URI. So i took him back to Petco so they can get him checked by the Vet. I honestly at this point don't want a sick cham. However i also don't want to tell them i don't him back and have them not care for Rango. Hopefully he gets treated and i can bring him back home.

I would no matter what file a compliant with your humane officer. The more complaints they get the more they can ban the store from selling them or get them to change the housing. It worked for me.

Back
Top Bottom