Another cham?

yoshi9

I love to research and dream about another chameleon I have spare cage at the moment and was just wondering if anyone had some different chams that are fun to keep, I have a veiled and ambilobe :)

what happened to the melleri? lol

jacksons(T.Xantholophos)

carpet chamelon

fishcers (k. mulittuberlacata)

pygmies

hoenhelli(high-casqued chameleon)

T. quadracornis are cool too

and many more

what happened to the melleri? lol

jacksons(T.Xantholophos)

carpet chamelon

fishcers (k. mulittuberlacata)

pygmies

hoenhelli(high-casqued chameleon)

T. quadracornis are cool too

and many more

trust me if i could keep a beast like that i would give an arm and leg but only being 15 and living with my mom not sure how sure im gonna be able to build another GIANT cage lol, where can I find some of the other cool breeds?

Fl chams has jacksons

a forum member named "Seeco" i think is still selling the fischer chameleons.

the others you have to look for by forum members or faunaclassieds and Kingsnake. which may not be the best option for you

i go with the jacksons or fischers if you want somethng different but still manage to care for it properly.

the other chams you gotta really research and dedicate alot

im in the same boat man...im 16 and juggling alot of stuff...but im focusing on cham #2 lol.

Fl chams has jacksons

a forum member named "Seeco" i think is still selling the fischer chameleons.

the others you have to look for by forum members or faunaclassieds and Kingsnake. which may not be the best option for you

i go with the jacksons or fischers if you want somethng different but still manage to care for it properly.

the other chams you gotta really research and dedicate alot

im in the same boat man...im 16 and juggling alot of stuff...but im focusing on cham #2 lol.

Yup exactly where I'm at! :p lol what chameleons do you have?

Can you keep more then one is the same enclosure and do they like to climb verymuch?

Short answers are no and yes, respectively ;-)

Outside of hatchlings, chameleons in general don't tolerate each other well. Some folks are successful housing subadult and adult females in the same enclousure, but it varies. Some species even tolerate 1.1, 1.2, etc. male.female cohabitation, but most species do not tolerate this very well, and in the cases where it seems to work it is usually only in very large, well-planted cages. Adult males of most species are very hostile towards each other and merely being able to see another male (i.e., 25+ ft and line of sight) is enough to stress the two males out. Except in unusual circumstances, most chameleons are best housed individually past a few months of age.

For the cage you're talking about, one individual is going to be most appropriate. There are lots of smaller to medium sized species that could potentially work well as adults in the size cage you have, including Carpets (Furcifer lateralis lateralis) or 'Giant Carpets' (F. lateralis major). Keep in mind, however, that wild caught chameleons often come in rough shape, including significant parasite loads, and may require vet care, which can get pricey. Captive bred chams normally won't have these problems. Hence, a cb chameleon in the $100-200 range could end up being substantially cheaper than a wild caught of the same species in the $50-100 range when vet care is included. A cheap wild caught cham can end up costing hundreds when all is said and done.

As for climbing: almost all chameleons are arboreal, outside of the Brookesia spp., and even they get up off the leaf litter quite a lot. Any species you are likely to choose is going to be a bush/shrub/tree dweller.

cj

Short answers are no and yes, respectively ;-)

Outside of hatchlings, chameleons in general don't tolerate each other well. Some folks are successful housing subadult and adult females in the same enclousure, but it varies. Some species even tolerate 1.1, 1.2, etc. male.female cohabitation, but most species do not tolerate this very well, and in the cases where it seems to work it is usually only in very large, well-planted cages. Adult males of most species are very hostile towards each other and merely being able to see another male (i.e., 25+ ft and line of sight) is enough to stress the two males out. Except in unusual circumstances, most chameleons are best housed individually past a few months of age.

For the cage you're talking about, one individual is going to be most appropriate. There are lots of smaller to medium sized species that could potentially work well as adults in the size cage you have, including Carpets (Furcifer lateralis lateralis) or 'Giant Carpets' (F. lateralis major). Keep in mind, however, that wild caught chameleons often come in rough shape, including significant parasite loads, and may require vet care, which can get pricey. Captive bred chams normally won't have these problems. Hence, a cb chameleon in the $100-200 range could end up being substantially cheaper than a wild caught of the same species in the $50-100 range when vet care is included. A cheap wild caught cham can end up costing hundreds when all is said and done.

As for climbing: almost all chameleons are arboreal, outside of the Brookesia spp., and even they get up off the leaf litter quite a lot. Any species you are likely to choose is going to be a bush/shrub/tree dweller.

cj
Thank you very much :) and I really didn't think they would be able to share a cage just wondering cause they are sooo small well thank you for the info. For now I would only want cb being 15 the minimal vet visits is what I prefer

Back
Top Bottom