Angry when hungry?

RyanBRZ

Avid Member
I recently started feeding my cham superworms, it began with throwing 2-3 small ones in his food dish along with dubia roaches in the morning. Prior to starting superworms, he would always clear out every dubia from his feeder cup. Gradually he stopped going after dubia roaches while I noticed the small superworms are always gone when I get in from work.

I recently picked up a cup of normal size superworms and been feeding him 2-3 a day by hand while always offering him dubia's in his feeder cup. In the morning I have been leaving him only dubia roaches which I found he has not touched when I check after work. Today I went in to try to hand feed him a dubia and he hissed at me, very unlike his usual demeanor. Has anyone else noticed a more touchy cham when hungry?

I am not sure about the grumpy when hungry problem. First, I am new to the hobby. Second, don't think there is a good way to objectively gauge the relationship between of food and behavior. Do chameleons even have "moods" the way we do? Someone with solid experience will hopefully chime in on this issue.

I can tell you that I am having the same problem. At first, ours would eat dubias just fine. Now he is refusing to touch them as long as other food is available. He will hold out until he gets something else. I am also hand feeding him as part of an effort to tame him. I think that's part of the problem. He's spoiled and knows there is something he likes better available.

my cham also hisses at me during his feeding time!!! i think they just need time to figure out your hand has food, leave it there for a min or two and see whether he realizes theres a roach in your hand. that and to solve picky eating just stop feeing the food he wants for a few days and he'll go back on his regular diet, that's what i did for mine ant it worked

my cham also hisses at me during his feeding time!!! i think they just need time to figure out your hand has food, leave it there for a min or two and see whether he realizes theres a roach in your hand. that and to solve picky eating just stop feeing the food he wants for a few days and he'll go back on his regular diet, that's what i did for mine ant it worked
Thanks! I will try to hold out from feeding him to get him back on dubias.

Finally resolved this eating issue, and it's not that he was avoid dubia's like I thought, thank god.

I think he was not able to see the dubia roaches due to the placement of the food cup (mid-cage, below basking spot). I moved it up so when he is basking they are at eye level and he is now clearing out his food cup as we speak. I will see if he gets friendlier now that he is no longer starving.

Here it is now, it was previously directly below this spot.
IMG_20190107_183543.jpg

Back
Top Bottom