Angry veild chamelion

Toothless the cham

Established Member
So here is the deal. I have a veiled chameleon he is a very aggressive towards me. Whenever I put my hand in his cage He will hiss and puff up at me. Whenever he has is I pull my hand out immediately hoping that will help. I know he does not want to be handled so I want to find a way that can build his trust up with me. I've had him for over a year he has not been like this until about three or four months ago. If anybody can help or give me some information that might be useful please tell me.

well for starters spend a lot of time near his cage, it will help him get used to you whether your reading a book or working, just make sure he can see u, second would be positive reinforcement and interaction, make sure you offer him food when you open up that cage door. third you can try to lure him onto your hand with food remember that this will all take time and that this will not happen over night, it took half a year for my cham to even start hissing a little less and we're still working on it, just know veileds are known for being aggressive, but its all worth a shot, good luck!!!

I have a veiled chameleon that i got about six months ago and he is an absolute menace any time i go into his zone. You can try a number of things that will help as others have stated. You can use food as a bargaining tool for some, I've also started just putting my hand inside of the enclosure and not messing with mine until he calms down then just taking it out and leaving him alone so he gets used to my presence and to know that he has nothing to worry about. My guy has gotten about 1% better in around 3 months :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: it is really important to remember that these guys are more often like that than not. And "taming" a chameleon can be a fruitless effort as it is sometimes just who they are. Don't take it personal. Do what you can to make him comfortable with you and don't try to push it too hard because it might work against you in the end. I know it sucks not being able to hold and hang out with something you love but i just like to think that I've created a perfect little environment for my lizard friend and he just doesn't want me to take him away from it:)

So here is the deal. I have a veiled chameleon he is a very aggressive towards me. Whenever I put my hand in his cage He will hiss and puff up at me. Whenever he has is I pull my hand out immediately hoping that will help. I know he does not want to be handled so I want to find a way that can build his trust up with me. I've had him for over a year he has not been like this until about three or four months ago. If anybody can help or give me some information that might be useful please tell me.

By retreating immediately when he hisses at you, you are reinforcing his behavior. He realizes that acting aggressively make the predator (you) retreat. Instead, try standing in front of his enclosure until he resumes normal behavior. Then do the same with the door open. Then with a hand in the enclosure. If he hisses, don’t remove your hand. Do so only when he is calm. Move closer over time. One day you will be able to touch him without him hissing or retreating.

Also, food. Make your hand the only way he gets his favorite treat. If he doesn’t eat from your hand, don’t leave the treat behind. Take it with you. I think you’ll likely see success within two weeks of daily excercises.

Good luck. Be very patient.

Since he's not the angriest chameleon in the world he actually is come accustomed to me over the year I've had him. I tried to put my hands in his cage with food in it and he didn't hiss but he didn't eat the food either he kind of just looked at it. I'm pretty sure he doesn't accept food directly from my hand. for now I'm going to sit in front of his cage and be on my phone a little while. if I try to touch him he will hiss but I'll still keep my hands in the cage.

Since he's not the angriest chameleon in the world he actually is come accustomed to me over the year I've had him. I tried to put my hands in his cage with food in it and he didn't hiss but he didn't eat the food either he kind of just looked at it. I'm pretty sure he doesn't accept food directly from my hand. for now I'm going to sit in front of his cage and be on my phone a little while. if I try to touch him he will hiss but I'll still keep my hands in the cage.

Mine did the same. The first few times I offered food by hand he would just stare at it until one day he went for it. Next time, it took a little less time. There are days when he's more shy and I just leave him be. In general, he now eats pretty much right away when offered a treat. It takes a long time and ton of patience.

After weeks of hand feeding and holding my hand near him, Rio stepped onto my hand for the first time. Then he chilled for about an hour on my shoulder. He's a special little guy.

That black spot on his mouth by the way... dirt. It freaked me out, but it turned out to be a flake from the branch (y)

One thing though. He's shedding almost non-stop. He's growing like crazy but is this normal? He's also always dark and after the last shedding he picked up these bright green/brown colors. At night, he's neon green. Should that concern me?

IMG_0981.jpeg
IMG_0983.jpeg

When I first got my female veiled she was the same way. I’ve had her for almost 6 months and after a LOT of hand feeding any time i put my hand in there palm up toward her she looks directly at my palm and expects food. Even tries to eat my hand sometimes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Veileds have a lot of attitude for like no reason. Just take it day by day to build up trust( kinda like a bird lol )

My male was very trusting until he had a skin infection and I needed to give oral meds... Hes hated me ever since. I've tried hand feeding and working back to that level of trust but he just tries to kill me every chance he gets. Keep working with your cham but make sure you respect them. If they arent feeling up to the interation, let them be. lol

This is from our recent battle... I was readjusting his mister nozzle since he pushed it sideways and he made it clear that I was not welcome. I learned chameleons can move fast when they want to...

195616-54ea49ca14fba492e564c31d5f1450ad.jpg

My male was very trusting until he had a skin infection and I needed to give oral meds... Hes hated me ever since. I've tried hand feeding and working back to that level of trust but he just tries to kill me every chance he gets. Keep working with your cham but make sure you respect them. If they arent feeling up to the interation, let them be. lol

This is from our recent battle... I was readjusting his mister nozzle since he pushed it sideways and he made it clear that I was not welcome. I learned chameleons can move fast when they want to...

View attachment 221367

Ouch!

That looks painful. They are finicky but incredibly fascinating creatures. They definitely have days when seem to "like" you and days when they want nothing to do with you. I say "like" because at best it can be described as tolerate. :LOL:

Since the new enclosure, Rio took a decisive step back in taming. He's not aggressive and still see my hand as a "friend" but he is very shy. When he sees me, he retreats which is new. I think it will take him some time to get used new surroundings.

Glad to see you making awesome progress though. Keep it up!

View attachment 221367
ouch!!!

Back
Top Bottom