Anchoring Plants and Branches to Screen Cage: DIY Alternative

DonKeesh

Chameleon Enthusiast
There are many methods to achieve this and dragon ledges are the best option by far, but for you DIY folk out there this is how I do it. @Beman thought this method was unique so would be happy to share. The goals of this method is to have all the weight of branches and potted live plants supported by the top frame of the cage... NOT the screen. Allowing you to provide an awesome floating garden for your chameleon.

Warning: this method requires looping zip ties over the cage frame and through the screen. You will have very small holes in the screen if you decide to remove this method. Also be careful doing this, it is very possible for the small holes to become big holes if you are not careful!

1. Begin by selecting some sturdy and straight branches about an inch in diameter, I use oak. You need Four 3-3.5ft. long branches to start.

2. Drill a hole big enough for a 8in. Standard cable tie (zip tie) to loop all the way through, on the sturdy end of each branch about an inch down from the end of the branch.

3. Hold a branch in a top corner of the cage, I leave about 2 inches from the corner (back panel) and carefully put a zip tie through the top screen as close to the top frame as possible down and through the hole in the branch out the other side of the branch and back out through the side panel screen, then slowly tighten it up. Be careful not to rip screen when tightening.

4. Then connect each of the four branches dangling from the top frame, inside the cage with horizontal branches wherever you want to attach branches or plants.

I know this is kind of confusing so hope the pictures help. Let me know if I need to clarify anything!
PXL_20210901_173005688.jpg
PXL_20210901_172943794.jpg
PXL_20210901_172917352.jpg
PXL_20210901_173823130.jpg
PXL_20210901_173222412.MP.jpg

PXL_20201025_173911803~2.jpg
PXL_20210829_215816887~2.jpg
PXL_20210901_151917951.PORTRAIT.jpg

Oooh thank you for sharing! I haven't seen anyone do this before. If you don't mind I'm going to add the link to this thread to the description box of my video on how to attach branches to help give keepers an alternative method.

Oooh thank you for sharing! I haven't seen anyone do this before. If you don't mind I'm going to add the link to this thread to the description box of my video on how to attach branches to help give keepers an alternative method.

Yes please share! Thanks.

There are many methods to achieve this and dragon ledges are the best option by far, but for you DIY folk out there this is how I do it. @Beman thought this method was unique so would be happy to share. The goals of this method is to have all the weight of branches and potted live plants supported by the top frame of the cage... NOT the screen. Allowing you to provide an awesome floating garden for your chameleon.

Warning: this method requires looping zip ties over the cage frame and through the screen. You will have very small holes in the screen if you decide to remove this method. Also be careful doing this, it is very possible for the small holes to become big holes if you are not careful!

1. Begin by selecting some sturdy and straight branches about an inch in diameter, I use oak. You need Four 3-3.5ft. long branches to start.

2. Drill a hole big enough for a 8in. Standard cable tie (zip tie) to loop all the way through, on the sturdy end of each branch about an inch down from the end of the branch.

3. Hold a branch in a top corner of the cage, I leave about 2 inches from the corner (back panel) and carefully put a zip tie through the top screen as close to the top frame as possible down and through the hole in the branch out the other side of the branch and back out through the side panel screen, then slowly tighten it up. Be careful not to rip screen when tightening.

4. Then connect each of the four branches dangling from the top frame, inside the cage with horizontal branches wherever you want to attach branches or plants.

I know this is kind of confusing so hope the pictures help. Let me know if I need to clarify anything!View attachment 309243View attachment 309244View attachment 309245View attachment 309246View attachment 309247
View attachment 309249View attachment 309250View attachment 309251
Thank you so much for doing this Don! Sometimes people just can not afford or do not have the time to wait for dragon strand ledges. It is so important to have a safe sturdy alternative. I absolutely love the way you do yours. Thanks again!

I know this is kind of confusing so hope the pictures help. Let me know if I need to clarify anything!View attachment 309243View attachment 309244View attachment 309245View attachment 309246View attachment 309247
Thanks so much for sharing. I will definitely do this.

BEAUTIFUL

Back
Top Bottom