ANATOMICAL DESCRIPTION OF THE COELOMIC CAVITY ORGANS USING RADIOGRAPHY, ULTRASONOGRAPHY, AND COMPUTED TOMOGRAPHY IN HEALTHY VEILED CHAMELEONS (Chamael

kinyonga

Chameleon Queen
Get your reading glasses on and prepare to be busy for quite a while. (Guess what I'll be reading again tonight!)
There is some Spanish at the beginning of this but don't get thrown off by that because the article is in English. Also...the introduction has some information about habitat and such that is "outdated" and such....but there is so much information about the anatomy that is well done IMHO!
https://tesisenred.net/bitstream/handle/10803/670673/amj1de1.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Thanks for the link--- WOW! I needed a dictionary to figures some of these terms..

This was great and appreciate your sharing it.

Last edited:
New to the forum but noticed you like the scientific research articles and stuff.. Did you notice anything interesting about the ovary amount with Veileds vs Panthers? Looking for your opinion--- I understand size is "food and temp" and have read that so many times, but this opens the door to possible genetics, species, food and temps. Or did I get the wrong idea? Thanks again!

Pic shows many ovaries within the Veiled which would release many eggs at one time. So, I am guessing to much food or higher temps would cause multiple egg releases.

Maybe I am thinking to much into it.. I tend to do that and question everything until factual proof is presented.

pg 64 in the 5th study... fig. 5.2.7. I might just be reading wrong..

Last edited:
Pic shows many ovaries within the Veiled which would release many eggs at one time. So, I am guessing to much food or higher temps would cause multiple egg releases.

Maybe I am thinking to much into it.. I tend to do that and question everything until factual proof is presented.

pg 64 in the 5th study... fig. 5.2.7. I might just be reading wrong..

The figure you're indicating is showing the difference between follicles and eggs in the veiled chameleon I believe...so I don't know what you're asking.

If there are say 30 follicles in Veiled and 2 eggs are released that would be 60 eggs. So 60 is determined to be high for Veileds and it could be normal. I guess, I am just a little confused. No worries don't want to waste your time..

Thanks again for sharing

If there are 30 follicles growing then there will only be 30 eggs produced. Each follicle ovulated and becomes an egg. The big issues with veileds and panthers is that it they grow too many follicles at one time when they are overfeed and kept at temperatures that are too high and the follicles won't ovulate (follicular stasis) so they eventually "rot" inside the chameleon and kill it....or ...too many of the follicles do ovulate and the chameleon can't lay them...(become eggbound) and the eggs eventually "rot" and kill the chameleon.

Veileds can produce way more follicles/eggs than panthers do when they are overfeed and kept at temperatures that are too high. Not sure if the difference is genetic or environmentally created or both though.

I can shut the veileds' reproduction down completely so they lay no eggs when not mated...panthers I can slow down or lower the reproduction but have never pushed them further to see if I can shut them off.

Does this help?
Ask whatever questions you want to...ill answer if I can.

BTW...follicles are round...eggs ar oval.

Perfect! Thanks - I still get mixed up with the different terminology.

I was automatically thinking of hyperovulation being more normal than not.
Thanks again!

Last edited:
Clarification...
I said..."...too many of the follicles do ovulate and the chameleon can't lay them"... It should have read ...too many of the follicles do ovulate and become eggs but the chameleon can't lay them.

Sorry for he spelling mistakes in that post....I should have read it over once more before I posted it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom