Amount of foliage in enclosure

Hey everyone, so I have a 13 month old panther chameleon and I’m worried that I have too many plants in his enclosure because he always seems to hang around at the top half of his enclosure and he hardly spends any time in the bottom half. I didn’t even think I had that many plants in the enclosure so I was wondering if this is normal.
Absolutely not! Your set up looks great; and your foliage cover is awesome.

You could do that, but there may be a trade-off. Your chameleon is going to try to bask under the brightest light in the enclosure, regardless of temperatures. You can use this to your advantage.

If the top of that plant is under the brightest light (and he tries to bask there) you can raise the UVB to leave 8-10 inches (though a UVI meter is the best way to know for sure) between basking site and UVB bulb.

If the brightest light is elswhere, he should bask under it (I'd leave the UVB just above the screen) though he may still climb to the tree-top for security.

Is the plant prunable? That could solve the problem with the least hassles.
Im going to try to prune it today it’s a beautiful draceana spelled worng

I have a mass cane that was in Eustis cage but I changed it out for a ficus and put the mass cane in my living room. That thing has exploded in growth since I took it out of the cage! I need to find someone who would like it because it’s quickly getting way too big for my living room!

I have a mass cane that was in Eustis cage but I changed it out for a ficus and put the mass cane in my living room. That thing has exploded in growth since I took it out of the cage! I need to find someone who would like it because it’s quickly getting way too big for my living room!
You can prune those down from either the top or the bottom.

How can you Pune them from top or bottom? The bottom is a tree trunk and the top is all these long green leaves that would look awful if I trimmed them. It looks like something out of a Dr Seuss book.
Yep you can cut the trunk/stem, stick it into water, and it'll start to take root. Pruning the tops helps other branches and buds grow and makes them look healthier over time. I have to do that with my one outside but now it's taller than me and I need a ladder 😂 and probably a machete 😂

This video is more helpful - it shows someone actually doing the cutting and talking about where to do it and how to propagate the stem you cut off. Don't be afraid to get in there and hack away @Lindasjackson

Mine doesn’t look like that except at the top. Mine has a long thick tree trunk with just those leaves at the top. I suppose I could cut out some of leaves at the top but that it and then it would look funny. Oh well. It’s ok.

Mine doesn’t look like that except at the top. Mine has a long thick tree trunk with just those leaves at the top. I suppose I could cut out some of leaves at the top but that it and then it would look funny. Oh well. It’s ok.

If you cut the leaf stalk at the top, then it will sometimes bud 2 more to replace it - thats how you get them to have multiple leaf stalks and look a little more like the one in the video. Then you propagate the one you cut off and grow it. Soon you're living in a mass cane jungle. 😁

Thanks, but no thanks. I didn’t want it in the first place but it was the only tall plant I could find to put in Eustis’s cage when I got him so that’s why I bought it. As soon as I finally found a ficus benjamina I took the mass cane out. I’ll find a home for it.

Thanks, but no thanks. I didn’t want it in the first place but it was the only tall plant I could find to put in Eustis’s cage when I got him so that’s why I bought it. As soon as I finally found a ficus benjamina I took the mass cane out. I’ll find a home for it.
I love them for my yard but I don't think they're great for chameleon enclosures. Not enough branches. That said if you're into house plants they're very nice and easy to care for. But if you're not interested I'm sure you'll find a nice home for it. Free plants are seriously the best - I get them from neighbors and on next door quite often.

I’ve gotten several plants that just never did well in my chams enclosure so I’ve given them away. I live in Maine so a mass cane would not survive the winter outside I don’t think. I think they’re tropical plants.

I’ve gotten several plants that just never did well in my chams enclosure so I’ve given them away. I live in Maine so a mass cane would not survive the winter outside I don’t think. I think they’re tropical plants.
Yeah it'd have to be a house plant or keep in a root pouch outside in the summer and pull in during the colder months.

Don't tell my chameleon that—he loves the 3 in his enclosure! He basks in the tops, climbs through and hides in the leaves, and climbs/descends the trunks.
Awww! Love that for him!! You have a much wider cage than me if I recall - to have one in a 2x2x4, they quickly take over. So I must amend my POV. :) It's all about experimenting with what plants work with your configuration and for your cham.

I’m glad they work for you both. Eustis did bask on top of his and hid in the leaves but the tree itself wasn’t doing well.

Back
Top Bottom