Ambient Temp Problems and Water

Jamal17

I recently awaited a veiled chameleon from a pet store and I got the starter kits etc etc. I ended up getting kind of in over my head but I’ve purchased so far. The chameleon is a couple months old I am assuming no real age or estimate of birth was given.
Zoo Med Medium Screen Enclosure
150 W Bulb (Lowering to 100 W) Enclosure was not getting enough heat for basking or ambient temp.
5.0 UVB
All Fake Foliage and Vines. (COVID19 has shut down all the greenhouses around.
Feed about 20 3/4” Crickets a day
Poops and Urate has all been Brown Poop White Urate.

I just am looking for tips to make his enclosure better so he has a better experience climbing around and is at his proper temperatures. Yesterday I caught him with his eyes closed shortly after he wakes up but I increased heat and feeding and seemed better. I live in a generally cold place and his ambient temps stay at around 54f in his enclosure while his basking is 85-95. Any tips on spacing the enclosure and can I use a heater to increase room temp? Also do I need to have some sort of drainage for the water at the bottom that may accumulate? Also he kind of hangs side ways when he is in a vine just hanging usually exposing one side to heat.
Is that an issue?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 62
Hi and welcome to the forums! You came to the right place :) I definitely see room for improvement and would be happy to help but I need to understand the full picture so I can give you correct advice. Can you fill out these questions in as much detail as possible? https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

Also can you post a picture of your chameleon? I don't see them in your enclosure pic.

[*]Your Chameleon - Veiled Cham, male, and age unknown. Had for approx one week
[*]Handling - I have handled him about 4 times doesn’t mind but he would rather not be picked up but friendly when I’m near the cage
[*]Feeding - Approx 20 3/4 4 week old crickets
[*]Supplements - Calcium supplement going to get vit d3 tomorrow. Dusting every feeding
[*]Watering - I use a Manual mister but will be getting a monsoon tomorrow. I have never seen him drink but his Urate is white so I am assuming he is hydrated but I do question his eyes.
[*]Fecal Description - Wet brown to hard brown and white urate he has never been tested and I don’t know how I would go about this.
[*]History - I caught him closing his eyes just a bit after he woke up but increased feeding and light distance. He hangs on the vines sideways it seems even though he seems strong and quick.

Cage Info:

[*]Cage Type - Zoo Med chameleon Starter kit - dimensions 16x16x30
[*]Lighting - ZooMed, tropical uvb and heat lighting kit w 60W bulb and 5.0 uvb light
[*]Temperature - Temp range is
[*]Basking: 80-95F
[*]Ambient: 55-60F
[*]Humidity - Humidity is around 50-65% using a digital hygrometer and by misting by hand 5 times roughly daily
[*]Plants - All fake foliage and vines
[*]Placement - Basement on a table no vents above or ventilation blowing.
[*]Location - Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Attachments

• 1187A813-A831-4C04-913B-FB590265C495.jpeg
    1187A813-A831-4C04-913B-FB590265C495.jpeg
    159.1 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom