Amazing translucent chameleon

Djborx

My male veiled chameleon is low translucent and today I saw his brother (both born from the same clutch) in the store and he looked amazing. I've never seen a chameleon with such a strong translucent features! The white in the head and tail is really cool.
I thought I'd share a few pics for you to see.

Attachments

• IMG_6743.jpg
    IMG_6743.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_6742.jpg
    IMG_6742.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_6741.jpg
    IMG_6741.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_6740.jpg
    IMG_6740.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 269
  • IMG_6737.jpg
    IMG_6737.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 253
mike--do you see the dehydration or is that my imagination? I would like the feedback, I've been trying to up my game so I can be more of a help on here.

mike--do you see the dehydration or is that my imagination? I would like the feedback, I've been trying to up my game so I can be more of a help on here.

Possible but not severe by any means. We usually look to the eye turrets, however sunken ones are not always a reliable indicator as some individuals pull in their turrets when stressed by handling or photos. That's what I believe that you are seeing in this individual.

Secondary things to look for are skin tenting/dryness, poor condition of what some people call "fat pads" which are not really fat but moisture, in this case the casque. When you see a veiled's casque thin and sunken in, that is a sign of severe long term dehydration.

When you can see bones in the tail/hips/spine that is an indication of starvation/malnutrition and is usually coupled with dehydration. In severe cases you can see the individual bones in the legs.

I'm not a vet, so excuse me if this is written like a layman, but it is what I look for when deciding what a healthy animal looks like. My "gold standard" regarding feeding and hydration is if the tail looks like a strong round rope all the way to the base near the vent, with no bones visible.

Back
Top Bottom