Am I ready for a Panther?

Josereg

Hello all, I am looking to buy a panther chameleon around 6-7 months old in the next month, so I was wondering if I am ready for it. I have two more sticks coming for a basking spot. Also, an incoming T5 light. So, is there any other suggestions?

Attachments

• E46D8C82-3849-47E8-891F-AC673291F20A.jpeg
    E46D8C82-3849-47E8-891F-AC673291F20A.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 120
Welcome to the forum!

Good that you're preparing before getting the chameleon!

The reptisun 5.0 long linear tube UVB light is the one most of us use...covers more area and penetrates deep enough into the cage to be good.

What's the bright colored thing at the bottom of the cage?

I would add more branches ...both vertical and horizontal. The plant branches wont support the chameleon for long I don't think.

Do you have supplements? Know about feeding/gutloading the insects?

Have you got a method for watering figures out? Humidity?

Are you going to get a male?

Welcome to the forum!

Good that you're preparing before getting the chameleon!

The reptisun 5.0 long linear tube UVB light is the one most of us use...covers more area and penetrates deep enough into the cage to be good.

What's the bright colored thing at the bottom of the cage?

I would add more branches ...both vertical and horizontal. The plant branches wont support the chameleon for long I don't think.

Do you have supplements? Know about feeding/gutloading the insects?

Have you got a method for watering figures out? Humidity?

Are you going to get a male?
You are referring to this one right? https://www.petmountain.com/product/zoo-med-reptisun-terrarium-hood-with-lamp because that’s the light that’s already on the way.

The bright thing at the bottom is a humidifier, it has a no light option, which I will keep it on when the chameleon comes.

I am planning on adding two more thick branches towards the top horizontally for sure. But there are plenty of leaves going vertically if he needs to get cooler.

I have with D3 and without D3. Correct me if I am wrong, I should dust with D3 only once every week the rest without D3.

Yes it is a male.

The light you ordered appears to be a T8. What you’ll want is a T5.

You’re probably fine keeping the humidifier outside the enclosure too if you want.

You’ll also want to pick up a multivitamin. I like to use Reptivite without D3. 6 days/week calcium without D3 and on the 7th day alternate between the multivitamin and calcium with D3 every other week.

I made this care video for adult male panthers you might find helpful to watch. Keep in mind the basking temps are lower for babies than for adults.

The light you ordered appears to be a T8. What you’ll want is a T5.

You’re probably fine keeping the humidifier outside the enclosure too if you want.

You’ll also want to pick up a multivitamin. I like to use Reptivite without D3. 6 days/week calcium without D3 and on the 7th day alternate between the multivitamin and calcium with D3 every other week.

I made this care video for adult male panthers you might find helpful to watch. Keep in mind the basking temps are lower for babies than for adults.

I linked the wrong one, I checked and it was a T5. I will make sure to get a multivitamin for him. Also, my basking area is 80-85. Anything else I can improve, other than more sticks? Thank you for the help.

What are you doing for water and humidity?

What kinds of bugs are you planning on feeding?

What gutload are you going to use?

What are you doing for water and humidity?

What kinds of bugs are you planning on feeding?

What gutload are you going to use?
For water, I have a little dripper running and a spray bottle. I have the humidifier and live plants plants for humidity.

I am planning on having superworms and dubia roaches. Gutloading with carrots and collard greens.

Just to make sure, to maintain the insects alive, I just put them in a container with airflow and oats?

Great. Do you have a way to measure the humidity? Do you have a way to catch/drain the water from the dripper?

Some other great feeders to mix in would be hornworms, black solider fly larvae, silk worms, wax worms, and all of those worms in moth/fly form.

Carrots and collard greens are good gutloading options but there are plenty of other things you can mix in. With chameleons, variety is everything.

For supers, yes or wheat bran. I keep my dubias with egg cartons - no oats or wheat bran.

@Gingero I have the dual thermometer and hygrometer, it says it’s at 60 and raises when humidifier is on and after I spray.

Thank you for all the information, I have been watching your videos for info and it has helped out a lot. Thank you.

So, this is using the advice given. Did I miss anything? I will add more sticks in the future but is this good to bring a new chameleon into? Also, this is the chameleon I plan on adding.

Attachments

• 87ADA296-01DA-464F-8CEC-7718BAD1711E.jpeg
    87ADA296-01DA-464F-8CEC-7718BAD1711E.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 4852DDF8-3616-4970-ABC3-5B4B81C48DAB.png
    4852DDF8-3616-4970-ABC3-5B4B81C48DAB.png
    588.4 KB · Views: 86
Great improvements and beautiful cham. I’d be careful that basking branch isn’t too close. Make sure to measure the temp a few inches off the branch since you have to take the height of the chameleon’s body into consideration.

Also while that UVB is an improvement since it is a T5 linear... it is tiny. I’d recommend getting a UVB fixture and bulb that goes the entire length of the enclosure. Any way you can return and exchange it for something closer to 24-36” long?

Back
Top Bottom