Am I paranoid?

dcac101

I have a rescue Veiled unknown age but he's small and is under weight but has been eating well, drinking and active. For the last few hours he hasn't moved and was asleep. I took me handling him to wake him. Once on my hand he was awake and walked on my hand to my wife's. she put him back on a branch and he almost immediately went back to sleep and hasn't moved.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

It's like 9:40 where you are, and chameleons are diurnal so that means that when the sun goes down they're asleep.

It's best not to bother them at night. It's not unusual for mine to go to their sleeping spot a short while before the sun goes down and settle down for the night.

Thanks for the welcome. I got home about 1600 and he was out. I should also say I'm new to chameleons old to snakes. Also this am he ate some mealworms, drank some water and we left the house. Do they sleep like rocks?

They do not sleep during the day, if you are not aware of this. Usually there is something wrong such as illness or incorrect lighting which can cause them to close their eyes. They may not actually be sleeping, but actually just closing their eyes and resting. They do sleep pretty soundly once they have been asleep for awhile. It is best not to disturb them once they are in a deep sleep. They can freak out if you wake them up or try to handle them.

I guess I'll wait and see what morning brings. Also I'm having a heck of a time keeping his cage humid. It's an all screen cage, moss floor, 2 live plants and I hand mist twice a day.

Well my little buddy was awake and checking me out while I was checking him out this am. Guess he's ok. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom