Am I headed in the right direction?

dbolemiss

I still havent bought my first Chameleon yet, but have a 4ft by 24x24 screen cage and dont like the way it looks as far as being in my living room, so the shopping began.
I found this cage for $30 on CL, its 6ft tall by 24x24, three sides are glass with moveable shelves in it that I took out. The bottom has a seperate door.
I'm going to cut the top out and put meatal screen there for my heating and uvb light that I had from my iguana setup.I have a roll of pet screen for the front door (going to keep two sides glass to keep an eye on the humidty. Also picked up a couple plants, the only ones they had at my local lowes that are on the safe plants list.
I also just ordered the mistking starter kit.
I want to have it all nice and setup for my little man when I get him.

So now the questions.
I have a bag of organic potting soil to change out with and the rocks to put on them.Going to make a hook to hang the Ivy on.
What other plants can I get to help put more coverage in such a tall cage?

On the misting system, will one nozzle be enough or should I have atleast 2?

What to use to seal the wood on the inside? Wanting to go ahead and get that done so it can air out for a few weeks.

I want the drain to run in the bottom, any ideas on a pan or something to work with? I was going to do the washing machine catch pan for the screen cage but it won't work with this setup.

I want a nice clean cage that will look like a piece of furniture.
I know the size is to big for a baby chameleon in some peoples eyes, but it does have the adjustable peg system in it so I can adjust it till the guy gets bigger.
This will be for a Panther Chameleon Nosy Be.

photo1-1.jpg

2011-07-09_20-06-50_207.jpg

2011-07-09_20-07-49_21.jpg

plants for now

2011-07-09_20-14-28_379.jpg

I use pothos and scheffelara and they fill out very nicely. you can get them in different sizes, so you could prob find ones that are big enough to fit in your cage, or will soon grow big enough.

It depends on the age your Cham is when you bring him home. Too big of a cage and he will not be able to find his food. I recommend cup feeding until your Cham is old /or big enough to find his own food. The rest I am sure some will chime in.

Thanks for whatever info I can get. I'd like to get the wood all sealed up as soon as I can so it can air out.

sent from my apple eater, Atrix
using tapatalk

One mist king nozzle should be enough for that size cage. But if not you can always add more later. That is the nice thing about Mistking. You can change any thing around. We do it all the time between our 9 cages.

So how about a good sealer for the wood? I'd like to knock that out as soon as possible. Would like for the most time to air out.

sent from my apple eater, Atrix
using tapatalk

i used a latex based wood sealant on the corners so water wouldnt get through the cracks, and then i used minwax non gloss water based sealant on the wood itself to prevent water soaking into the wood....

here is my thread i started a while back, while i haven't tackled drainage properly, the water doesn't sit, it evaporates enough for me to not need a LARGE drainage system...im looking to tackle drainage better before I even attempt to get a mistking or misting system.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/chameleon-cage-works-60209/

Getting ready for the fourth coat of sealant.
I'm thinking of putting screen down the back wall,just for some added climbing alternatives. Should I staple it or use the glue gun?

As you might can see, the cabnet has the little holes for pegs to adjust the shelves. Going to use that as the little guy grows. Also was going to run some little wooden dials across for added tye off points for vines.

also added plug in for the mistking, waiting to be installed.

photo13.jpg

Back
Top Bottom