Am I doing things right? First time Chameleon owner.

Today has been a WHIRLWIND!! You have been so helpful! Thank you so very much. I went out and purchased the Reptisun 10.0 UVB T8 bulb and took off the plastic cover! Just installed it a few minutes ago. Also went out and bought a few live plants. Took out all of the fake plants and moss too! I was on a mission trying to find the Calcium without D3, couldn't find it ANYWHERE. Made a few calls to the local small business pet stores nearby and one gave me a 1 oz sampler of it from their in-store stash. I had them put me down for the first person to call when they restock! Freddie (the FEMALE!!!! chameleon) is now exploring her new habitat and seems to be especially enjoying her new alive plants. I'll attach a picture of her terrarium with the new plants!

Posting on this forum was the best decision I've made in a long time, and I look forward to seeing how Chameleon Forums helps me make the best decisions for my lil girl in the future.

p.s. on the hunt for a vet in the area, will be making a first check up appointment in the next few days!
You are most welcome.
Make sure your distance to the branch is 7 inches under that new UVB bulb. This will put baby in the right UVB level.

Much better for the enclosure... Now the only thing I see is the Heat lamp needs to be pulled to the front not above the big plant in the back.

I am glad you found the forum and posted... Start reading through this link... This will teach you all the ins and outs https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

You are the type of person that I love helping. You actually immediately took the info and made the changes... ❤️

As for the vet take a fresh fecal with you for them to test. And don't let them medicate her for parasites without having the results of this fecal. It is not a one med fixes all thing.

Let us know if you have any questions at all. It will take her a few days to start to bounce back after not having the UVB she needed. That plastic piece they add to the fixture you bought blocks all UVB output :(

Since you have a girl.... Food intake and temps at basking directly impact clutch size. We want them to have small clutches so that it is easier on them and they live longer healthier lives.

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeders so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 10 months old.

You will not want basking to be over 78-80max for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

laybin graphic.jpg

You are most welcome.
Make sure your distance to the branch is 7 inches under that new UVB bulb. This will put baby in the right UVB level.

Much better for the enclosure... Now the only thing I see is the Heat lamp needs to be pulled to the front not above the big plant in the back.

I am glad you found the forum and posted... Start reading through this link... This will teach you all the ins and outs https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

You are the type of person that I love helping. You actually immediately took the info and made the changes... ❤️

As for the vet take a fresh fecal with you for them to test. And don't let them medicate her for parasites without having the results of this fecal. It is not a one med fixes all thing.

Let us know if you have any questions at all. It will take her a few days to start to bounce back after not having the UVB she needed. That plastic piece they add to the fixture you bought blocks all UVB output :(

Since you have a girl.... Food intake and temps at basking directly impact clutch size. We want them to have small clutches so that it is easier on them and they live longer healthier lives.

As she matures you will have to start cutting back her food. By about 6 months she should be getting about 5-8 small feeders each day. At about 7 months you want to slowly reduce by cutting down feeders so that she is on a feeding schedule of 3 days a week with 3 feeders. You want them to be on this schedule by the time they are 10 months old.

You will not want basking to be over 78-80max for her. Very important for females because as she ages she needs this temp no higher at basking to help control the amount of eggs she produces.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video.77225/

View attachment 292420
Just moved the branch down a little bit and the heat lamp to the front! I can't stress this enough, you've been SO helpful.

Definitely going to need to start reading up on female chameleons and egg laying bc that is something I know NOTHING about right now!

I'm excited to have a group of people just as excited about Freddie as I am, and I am so glad to have a group of people who can answer my questions and help me along the way.

Just moved the branch down a little bit and the heat lamp to the front! I can't stress this enough, you've been SO helpful.

Definitely going to need to start reading up on female chameleons and egg laying bc that is something I know NOTHING about right now!

I'm excited to have a group of people just as excited about Freddie as I am, and I am so glad to have a group of people who can answer my questions and help me along the way.
Wonderful... Happy to help. We are a bunch of nuts so you have been fairly warned lol

Happy I Like It GIF by swerk

Today has been a WHIRLWIND!! You have been so helpful! Thank you so very much. I went out and purchased the Reptisun 10.0 UVB T8 bulb and took off the plastic cover! Just installed it a few minutes ago. Also went out and bought a few live plants. Took out all of the fake plants and moss too! I was on a mission trying to find the Calcium without D3, couldn't find it ANYWHERE. Made a few calls to the local small business pet stores nearby and one gave me a 1 oz sampler of it from their in-store stash. I had them put me down for the first person to call when they restock! Freddie (the FEMALE!!!! chameleon) is now exploring her new habitat and seems to be especially enjoying her new alive plants. I'll attach a picture of her terrarium with the new plants!

Posting on this forum was the best decision I've made in a long time, and I look forward to seeing how Chameleon Forums helps me make the best decisions for my lil girl in the future.

p.s. on the hunt for a vet in the area, will be making a first check up appointment in the next few days!
You really came to the right place and Beman is awesome! And so are you for being so receptive and responsive to her advice, as well as the input from others on this forum. 👍👏👏. I’m so happy for you and Freddie that you made your way to this forum.

Back
Top Bottom