Am I doing something wrong?

AK_Lucky_Ginger

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Believed to be Male, I believe he was about 2 months old when I got him and I've had him for about 3-4 months so my guesstimate on his age is 5-6 months.
Handling - 4-5 time a week for about 30-45 minutes (unless he seems stressed or is shedding)
Feeding - I used to feed him about 5 crickets a day everyday, but have switched to 4-5 wax worms for about a week and a half now because his ribs always show and he has only shed once since I got him. I gut load with "Total Bites for feeder insects, with Spirulina"
Supplements - I use "Jurassi Cal" as a calcium supplement, adding some to the water I provide the crickets along with a light dusting whenever i feed my cham.
Watering - I do a misting with a squirt bottle for about 20 minutes once a day. And before you say thats not enough, I have a humidifier running 24/7 that leaves water on the side of the screen cage which he also drinks from. I have seen him drink from both sources.
Fecal Description - Notable brown and white droppings: brown seeming to be mor solid and white seeming to be a much softer appearance. He has not been tested for parasites in my care and was not informed if he was at the pet store (but I'm guessing probably not).
History - All i know is I purchased him at my local Petco.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Homemade wood and screen combo (my uncle is good at carpentry work and its a lot cheaper). The dimensions are 3ft tall, 2ft long, and 2ft wide.
Lighting - From 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. I have a 75 w "Zoo Med" basking light that provides UVA light and the rest of the time I have a 75 w "Zilla's Night Black Heat Incandescent Bulb". After looking on the boxes, I realize I forgot to buy the light bulb that provided UVB light as well when I got a new bulb so that is on my list and will be purchased on Monday the 7th of March. He has only been without the UVB light for 2 months (just as reference.
Temperature - His basking spot ranges from 85-95 degrees (which is at the top of the 3ft cage) and the very bottom of the cage it can get as low as 65 degrees at night but I have never seen him go that low in his cage, he usually stays at about the mid an upper cage. I have a digital thermometer that shows the low and high temperatures of the bottom of his cage and I used a laser thermometer to pinpoint and record the temperature of the basking area I provided.
Humidity - I have to admit, I don't have anything to measure the humidity levels, but like I said before I have a humidifier that runs 24/7 (which also helps my asthma so thats a bonus).
Plants - All vines are fake but I have a potted plant/tree thing (not sure what kind) that is live. I will post pictures of the cage's interior.
Placement - The cage is in my room which is not occupied during school hours and I am the only on who takes care/associates with him. The cage is on my floor but the top is 3ft from the floor and I didn't think its a problem since his cage temperature is where it needs to be (based on what I've read).
Location - I live in Big Lake, Alaska; where winters are cold but I never take him outside (that would be crazy). But I do plan to let him explore outside in a supervised area when summer comes around when it get pretty warm. Also plan to incorporate wild caught bugs from my yard (please say if this is a good idea or not).

Current Problem - I have noticed that he is sleeping more and hasn't eaten for a few days (I keep track of when he eats and how much he eats in a notebook). I am aware that the wax worms I have switched him to are a much more fatty meal and I'm not sure if he just isn't hungry, but he isn't showing any interest. I mentioned before that he has only shed once since I got him and that was a few weeks after I got him (so probably about 3 and a half months ago) and since he is a baby, I thought he would grow faster. So I could really use any ideas and suggestions from you guys, am I doing something wrong?

No uvb for 3 and a half months is terrible you need to get a light asap. Have you read the thing on home page about mbd ?

You're actually doing a lot wrong.

1) Check the back of your chameleon's feet to see if it has a tarsal spur (a bump)sticking out. If you see one, then you have male.
2) "Total Bites" gutload is really only good to keep your feeders alive. Offer them fresh veggies/fruits and/or dry gutload such as bug buffet, cricket crack, bug burger (can be found in the chameleon food section from Nick Barta.
3) You should have 3 different types of supplements. I see you already have regular calcium, which you should be dusting at every feeding. You will also need calcium with d3 and a multivitamin that you dust every two weeks.
4) It is highly recommended that you use a 12 on 12 off light cycle. A black heat light is not needed unless temperatures drop below 50 degrees at night. Veild's can actually tolerate temp's as low as 40's.
5) You need to get the UVB bulb like yesterday. Your cham needs to be able to produce Vitamin D3 in order to absorb calcium for healthy bones. It is especially critical at such a young age where they are growing the most.

Post a picture because without proper uvb light calcium then gets pulled from the bones makes them weak deformes the bones if it gets bad. You need calcium without d3 every feeding and multivitamin and calcium with d3 twice a month each. You should gutload with veggies collar greens kale apples strawberry carrots squash stuff like that.

Please put a picture up as soon as possible so we can tell you if he looks okay they hide sickness very well until it is really bad. Sleeping during the day is always bad. It could be your light timing and the light at night causing him to sleep because they really bed complete darkness to sleep bUT it could be way worse than that. I would take a stool sample to be tested and take him to the vet. If he was mine I would take him. Look at the care sheets for veileds on this forum and match it to your husbandry.

If it's a female rather than a male, it could be producing eggs and maybe even be eggbound. Please post a recent photo asap.

As stated by everyone, the UVB light is critical and most likely why your chameleon is sick. "Only" two months is a long time to be without UVB especially when he/she is young and their bones are in the critical stages of growing. Please post some pics so we can see if he has Metabolic Bone Disease.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks everyone! I didn't realize how much I really was doing wrong... I'm going to get all the things that all you guys are describing later today. I also got the pictures up of Camo so hopefully that will help you guys out.

Looks like you've got a female to me. If you are 100% sure its a female you're going to have to start looking into egg laying bins. Im currently going through that phase with my female veiled.
It is an absolute must have for females or they can become eggbound and die. They mine is just over 7 months and she currently laying her eggs as we speak

From what I read on the box it just provides heat, and from the info the members of Chameleon Forums you don't need the black light unless it get below 40-50 degrees in the enclosure at night. I would just go to a local pet store and look for a light that says it provides UVB.

Hey guys! Sorry I didn't post a update right away. Camo is doing much better now that she has the proper light. I also gave her a dose of Fluker's Repta+Boost just to replenish her vitamins and give her the nutrients she needed since she hasn't been eating. She spends her days basking and her nights sleeping like a rock and her appetite is back. She's back to her normal self and its all thanks to your guy's help. Thank you so much!!!

Back
Top Bottom