Am I being over dramatic or is this something to worry about?

iluv_naomi

I’m not sure if my chameleon is sick or what 😭
I don’t even know where to start
I just got her/him about a week ago I got her from petco.(I know not a good place to buy from and that was probably my first mistake) and I’ve bought a “kit” recommended by Neptune the chameleon so that is all the supplies I have besides plants and sticks.

I’ve only seen her eat once. I know she ate a couple crickets because I left them in her enclosure and they are now gone. I’ve fed her mealworms off of a bowl and she ate 3 of them that was 2 days ago. I tried feeding her today and she tried aiming once and missed then was uninterested in eating.

she may be territorial she keeps on puffing up and making this click/pop sort of noise but no hissing or color change. I’ve also noticed she will have one eye squinted from time to time but later open it with no issues. I would say she is pretty active besides this. But I’m not sure if I’m over panicking or under panicking she is my first chameleon and I don’t want to lose her. Sorry for blabbering

*she/he is sleeping because I am writing this at night had to turn on light for photos*

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Forgot to mention that is dirt on her/his mouth but I don’t know about the darkness on her eye (also if anyone could help me with the gender that would be very helpful I’m new to all this of you can’t) tell

Hello and welcome! Can you share a picture of the back of its feet? So far the colors looks like a girl to me.

Her sleeping spot is really odd. Between that and the clicking/popping sound you are describing it makes me wonder if maybe she has an upper respiratory infection.

It’s not uncommon to get an animal from the larger chain pet stores that is already sick. I strongly recommend getting her to a reptile vet that has Chameleon care experience. Chameleons go downhill quickly so you’ll want to act fast. Let me know if you need help finding one!

I just got her/him about a week ago I got her from petco.(I know not a good place to buy from and that was probably my first mistake) and I’ve bought a “kit” recommended by Neptune the chameleon so that is all the supplies I have besides plants and sticks.

I’ve only seen her eat once. I know she ate a couple crickets because I left them in her enclosure and they are now gone. I’ve fed her mealworms off of a bowl and she ate 3 of them that was 2 days ago. I tried feeding her today and she tried aiming once and missed then was uninterested in eating.

she may be territorial she keeps on puffing up and making this click/pop sort of noise but no hissing or color change. I’ve also noticed she will have one eye squinted from time to time but later open it with no issues. I would say she is pretty active besides this. But I’m not sure if I’m over panicking or under panicking she is my first chameleon and I don’t want to lose her. Sorry for blabbering

*she/he is sleeping because I am writing this at night had to turn on light for photos*
I’m not going to be a ton of help because I’m new to this as well. I do know she should be eating much more than you said you have seen (she looks to be pretty young). Everyone here is super helpful and knowledgeable.

Someone will probably like you to fill this form out. They will review it for you and it may help narrow down any issues.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

More plants and branches will also help your little one feel more secure. I’ve attached some photos of my enclosures to give you some ideas.

Also if you do have a female you’ll want to get a lay bin in there for her.

If you are open to a husbandry review to get more insight on enclosure set up and care, you can copy the information below and fill it out.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with, and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long do you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high-traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Current Problem -

Attachments

• EDAA387A-2370-489B-9D75-8A4F1FD28C94.jpeg
    EDAA387A-2370-489B-9D75-8A4F1FD28C94.jpeg
    324.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 11CB138A-AA99-4E99-B2E3-D5FAC1014BB1.jpeg
    11CB138A-AA99-4E99-B2E3-D5FAC1014BB1.jpeg
    257.6 KB · Views: 65
I’m not going to be a ton of help because I’m new to this as well. I do know she should be eating much more than you said you have seen (she looks to be pretty young). Everyone here is super helpful and knowledgeable.

Someone will probably like you to fill this form out. They will review it for you and it may help narrow down any issues.

Chameleon Info:
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

Cage Info:
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.
thanks @Gloriawood!

Thank you all for your advice I’m so happy everyone is so supportive and welcoming 😊 I’ll fill out these information forms asap Just thought I’d update she moved a bit and isn’t in the air anymore I’m going to try and get different worms because I’m reading that mealworms aren’t too good and will try to get her in for a checkup tomorrow! The last two photos are her earlier today before water but I made an emergency diy dripper because her eyes look sunken and saw her drink water (soo cute) but yeah with the clicking issue it’s after she puffs up on her neck and sides of body she sounds kinda like “pfff click” I don’t know if its a territorial thing or not because it’s only when she’s awake and usually when I’m looking at her

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpeg
    IMG_1277.jpeg
    244 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1278.jpeg
    IMG_1278.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1280.jpeg
    IMG_1280.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 70398110785__4F618506-D9A6-41AB-9272-C159335BE741.jpeg
    70398110785__4F618506-D9A6-41AB-9272-C159335BE741.jpeg
    118.9 KB · Views: 56
  • 70398109346__86C2A46C-779A-478B-8976-414DE8824CDD.jpeg
    70398109346__86C2A46C-779A-478B-8976-414DE8824CDD.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 58
Hello and welcome! Can you share a picture of the back of its feet? So far the colors looks like a girl to me.

Her sleeping spot is really odd. Between that and the clicking/popping sound you are describing it makes me wonder if maybe she has an upper respiratory infection.

It’s not uncommon to get an animal from the larger chain pet stores that is already sick. I strongly recommend getting her to a reptile vet that has Chameleon care experience. Chameleons go downhill quickly so you’ll want to act fast. Let me know if you need help finding one!
Yeah I wanted to go in for a checkup anyway that would be really helpful if you could recommend me a vet thanks ☺️

Thank you all for your advice I’m so happy everyone is so supportive and welcoming 😊 I’ll fill out these information forms asap Just thought I’d update she moved a bit and isn’t in the air anymore I’m going to try and get different worms because I’m reading that mealworms aren’t too good and will try to get her in for a checkup tomorrow! The last two photos are her earlier today before water but I made an emergency diy dripper because her eyes look sunken and saw her drink water (soo cute) but yeah with the clicking issue it’s after she puffs up on her neck and sides of body she sounds kinda like “pfff click” I don’t know if its a territorial thing or not because it’s only when she’s awake and usually when I’m looking at her
Someone on here recommended that I order worms online, it has been a game changer for me! There isn’t hardly anything here in my area. I ordered from Dubiaroaches.com and they are wonderful! Half the price of my local pet store, much bigger variety, and much healthier bugs! You can get small hornworms from there too. I ordered 18 but they must have put 20-25 in there!

Looks like potentially a respiratory infection if baby is holding its nose up like that frequently. A good reptile vet is what you need. Then we can go over all husbandry aspects.

What’s the basking temperature in the cage? What UVB light bulb are you using?

Are its eyes closed a lot/at all during the day?

Looks like potentially a respiratory infection if baby is holding its nose up like that frequently. A good reptile vet is what you need. Then we can go over all husbandry aspects.
Yeah she was doing that quite often but ever since I added a dripper she was able to take a shower and even drank water in front of me she seems to be doing a lot better and is definitely more active. I added more sticks and am going to get some plants tomorrow. I believe the issue was that she was dehydrated.

Someone on here recommended that I order worms online, it has been a game changer for me! There isn’t hardly anything here in my area. I ordered from Dubiaroaches.com and they are wonderful! Half the price of my local pet store, much bigger variety, and much healthier bugs! You can get small hornworms from there too. I ordered 18 but they must have put 20-25 in there!
What kind of worms did you end up getting and liking? Anything other than hornworms?

What kind of worms did you end up getting and liking? Anything other than hornworms?
I got hornworms. He didn’t seem interested in superworms. And he will eat the fly larvae if I don’t give him other options. I just ordered some wax worms so we will see if he likes those. On dubiaroaches.com they have a section on their menu where you can shop by reptile so it will just give you options for chameleons.

Anytime you chameleon is

You should never be able to hear your chameleon breathe. If your chameleon is doing this I would immediately schedule an appointment with a reptile vet. This is the number one sign of an upper respiratory infection in chameleons.

Sorry for such a late reply, life gets busy sometimes...

I order my bugs through the following sites:
https://dubiaroaches.com/
https://allborofeeders.com/

I feed my chams a variety of dubia roaches, silkworms, and bsfl. For treats I use superworms, horn worms and wax worms.

You will want to gut load your bugs so they are more than just an empty shell for your chameleon. I've attached some info for you to check out.

Let us know how your vet appointment goes!

Attachments

• Bugs.jpg
    Bugs.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Gut Load.jpg
    Gut Load.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom