Alternative plant ideas

Kaizen

Chameleon Enthusiast
Just thought I’d share some of the plants I have found useful in my enclosures. To be sure, some will require some serious lights to thrive in a house, but for those who are adventurous, here are some plants I found super useful:

1) Passion flower vine
2) climbing jasmine
3) mandevilla/dipladenia (I know they’re on the naughty lists, but oh well)
4) gardenia (standard form)
5) nustrutium of all sorts (from seed, these get big quick, but they’re annuals, so they only last about 8 months)

This past summer, I also used zinnia, morning glories and sweet peas (the latter two are also on the naughty lists)

Passion flowers are pretty damn cool. Thanks for sharing. Do the nasturtium grow in shade by any chance? I've been looking for flowers to grow on the bottom of my outdoor enclosure to lure in some pollinators for my cham to pick off.

Passion flowers are pretty damn cool. Thanks for sharing. Do the nasturtium grow in shade by any chance? I've been looking for flowers to grow on the bottom of my outdoor enclosure to lure in some pollinators for my cham to pick off.
They’ll get really long and leggy, and won’t flower so we’ll. Try zinnia, they’ll grow straight up like a rocket and get their sun. Bees love ‘em

Chris are you using all these with Veileds as well?
I know, I know, but yes. Oh wait, I forgot to mention Fuschia! Both fuschia and passionflower are veiled-safe, and Thomas Gordon (our veiled male) does occasionally snack on both, but he just seems to know not to eat the mandevillas.

I know, I know, but yes. Oh wait, I forgot to mention Fuschia! Both fuschia and passionflower are veiled-safe, and Thomas Gordon (our veiled male) does occasionally snack on both, but he just seems to know not to eat the mandevillas.
Ok so with my outdoor enclosure for Beman I need more then the hibiscus because they are not tall enough. Something that will happily live in full sun and in pots. My weather is pretty mild year round and never hotter then 65 quite wet here though with the coastal fog. What would you suggest?

Ok so with my outdoor enclosure for Beman I need more then the hibiscus because they are not tall enough. Something that will happily live in full sun and in pots. My weather is pretty mild year round and never hotter then 65 quite wet here though with the coastal fog. What would you suggest?
Again, passionflower vine and fuschia are veiled safe, and the flowers are to f-ing die for.

Again, passionflower vine and fuschia are veiled safe, and the flowers are to f-ing die for.
Oh I trust you on the veiled safe part lol. I am asking would they work in pots in my outdoor enclosure or do they need to be planted in the ground? I want something that will grow all over the top section since the hibiscus sit in the bottom.
IMG_14.JPG

Oh I trust you on the veiled safe part lol. I am asking would they work in pots in my outdoor enclosure or do they need to be planted in the ground? I want something that will grow all over the top section since the hibiscus sit in the bottom.
View attachment 280167
I see...dish pan type plastic pots planted with nusturtium would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom