Alternative Foods for Chameleons. SUBMIT YOURS

If i am not mistaken, and i'm sure that the blog on the isopods sandra did covers this, but i am fairly certain your everyday "pill bugs" have high traces of heavy metals and using common logic, it would be fairly difficult to simply pass that through the system. I would breed your own pill bugs, and get rid of the parents after the first gen is produced, therefore eliminating the high metals completely.

Then again i am certainly no expert.

Hello sandra, I've read a lot of your info on wild caught bugs, excellent stuff.

What else besides pillbugs are common terrestrial isopods?

Thanks

wood louse / wood sow / pillbugs / rollie pollie / sow bug / wood lice / armadillo bug / cheeselog bug / potato bug / doodle bug /
are all names for types of terrestrial isopods.

Beef tacos and some pizza slices LOL
Some veggies!!!

My horse eats taco pizza and drank...adult beverages. ;)

I plan on finding some bees, and feeding off the hornworm moths I can get if I am successful at breeding them. IF is the big word, I already failed miserably with the eggs....Tini also loved the mantids I had.

hi ive noticed noone has mentioned locusts.... are they ok for panther chams to eat?? also seeing as locusts are veggies - is it ok to leave em overnight in flexarium?

I feel like I've only seen Locusts used across the pond, but I have heard of it. ^_^

Also, my chams mainly eat crickets. How do you get the veggies to stay put in the enclosure? Do you use a bowl, or tie them, or what?

hi ive noticed noone has mentioned locusts.... are they ok for panther chams to eat?? also seeing as locusts are veggies - is it ok to leave em overnight in flexarium?

As long as they arent lubbers, they are great feeders.

I have just started finding them around here again.

I catch 10 or so, and keep them overnight with some oranges, and turnip greens.

The chams love them, and they have a decent amount of meat on them.

Their back legs can REALLY grip, so I usually give them a snip at the knee, the back half of the leg will fall off easily, and then they can hop, or grab.

The back leg is hard and spikey as well, so it reduces the chance of it scratching the cham.

I use them as often as possible.

I feel like I've only seen Locusts used across the pond, but I have heard of it. ^_^

Also, my chams mainly eat crickets. How do you get the veggies to stay put in the enclosure? Do you use a bowl, or tie them, or what?

I take old plastic tubs (like for butter) and cut it shallow, and leave half of it walled, the other half cut all the way flush with the bottom.

This keeps it mostly contained to the lid, and you can just grab the walled part to remove it. ;)

Mine go nuts for mantids and bees as well. I'm not as brace as Steve. I catch a couple in a jar. Throw it in the freezer for a min or two and then pull them out one by one and remove the stinger with tweezers. It's tedious but thy make my chams go nuts. Must have good flavor. Also on occasion my chams will get baby crayfish after a shell shed. They are super soft and my hams love them. An old frend of mine used to do it with his meller's and they lived forever. So mine get them every once in awhile.

baby crayfish? there are a couple streams nearby that are full of them...are they seriously safe? if so..ill invest in some..

I go out and get all sorts of WC Florida insects. These include mantids, grasshoppers, katydids, leafhoppers, dragonflies, beetles, etc. I have several field guides that I take with me and can pretty much see which ones are safe or not on the spot.

Back
Top Bottom