all the sudden she,s gaping

Splinter has improved greatly , she,s so much better i spent a lot of time with her yesterday and misting her with warm water. her nostril still has salt or dead skin on it but she has improved .i feel better too as i was getting worried she was gonna die which would be a ugly thing to happen to such a awesome creature that she is . shes not out of the forest yet its gonna take a few more days i beleive untill shes officailly safe in the healthy condition .

can a U.R.I. CLEAR UP ON ITS OWN? meaning can it completly clear up without antibiotics?

can human viruses be passed on to chameleons? like if you have are sneezing and a runny nose ,congested can that infect a chameleon?

Yes, URI can clear on it's own. It is not advisable to try to wait it out as it can quickly over come them. The only land animal in the animal kingdom that cannot manufacture their own vitamin C is the primate family. This makes use very subseptible to all viruses and bacterias. The only time other animals have to worry about something like this is when their macronutrients (sun, water, air, and earth) and primary nutrients (food) are not favorable. This makes their body struggle to supplement these things any way it can, all the while lowering their immune system and leaving them open for another problem. Intra species spreading of pathogens is possible but other animal's immune system are far more advance then are own so it is highly unlikely. If you do have a case of a clear up take a look at what the differences of the conditions before and after were. This is probably where some changes should be made to accomodate her in a better enviroment.

Last edited:
I am still monitoring splinters health she seems to be doing o.k. as ive seen no open mouth breathing and her eye is open whenever i check her. as far as what it was that was causing the symptoms im thinking maybe there was some dead skin leftover from shedding since it was a little dry here it built up around her nostril.or maybe she had a U.R.I. since she was probably vunerable after laying her eggs at a young age.

I am still monitoring splinters health she seems to be doing o.k. as ive seen no open mouth breathing and her eye is open whenever i check her. as far as what it was that was causing the symptoms im thinking maybe there was some dead skin leftover from shedding since it was a little dry here it built up around her nostril.or maybe she had a U.R.I. since she was probably vunerable after laying her eggs at a young age.

Most veileds come from places that water is scarce. This has lead them to evolve to deal with these conditions. They have salt glands located in their nasal cavitity. They can secrete certain chemicals through their nose rather then through urination. This helps them to retain water and therefore hydration. White build up around the nostril openings in adult veileds is normal. Both sub species of Chameleo Calyptratus posses these glands. I believe they are the only chameleons to have these.

its yellow not white, i seen it white before this time it has a yellowish to it ,its on her left nostril.

Back
Top Bottom