ALL the baby chams have mbd

Brokaylacham

Established Member
bro... my local pet shop that I always always get my crickets from and I’m now friends with the owners because I’m a local, take HORRIBLE care of their chams! I don’t know what to do! I don’t want to buy them because I can’t take care of them ( even though my parents said if I can make a deal they’ll let me, they just won’t buy the vet stuff), but I don’t want to just let them die and suffer. what should I do ?

bro... my local pet shop that I always always get my crickets from and I’m now friends with the owners because I’m a local, take HORRIBLE care of their chams! I don’t know what to do! I don’t want to buy them because I can’t take care of them ( even though my parents said if I can make a deal they’ll let me, they just won’t buy the vet stuff), but I don’t want to just let them die and suffer. what should I do ?
Talk to them, nicely point out the errors of their husbandry and what will happen to the chams if nothing is done, and recommend a local exotics vet to take them all to.

Talk to them, nicely point out the errors of their husbandry and what will happen to the chams if nothing is done, and recommend a local exotics vet to take them all to.
I've told them and they said that they were fine and they just need some calcium, but when i went back today ( i first noticed this a week ago ), they looked even more all twisted up, one of them has gout too :(. They won't listen to me when I told them what up, and i don't really feel comfortable telling them that all their chams are going to die, I don't like being confrontational. Their last chams died, they were jacksons. I feel that they think if they get veiled instead, then all their mistakes wouldn't apply to a different species ? I don't know but this is really sad for the baby chams :(.

Well you could try having your parents talk to them. Some adults don't like to take advice from teens (sorry but some are stubborn) even if they know the teen is correct.

Other then that I don't know how you can help them. Maybe you can find homes for them if you take them all but buying them will make them buy more to resupply and make the same mistake. That's why we don't like buying from Petco or PetSmart because they will think chams are selling.

If you buy the chams, you are only encouraging them to get more. I am friends with a local shop owner (used to work there). It is big for a local shop. There are 3+ employees working at any one time. Anyway, the owner is not the care taker. I went in there one time and they had 4 young adult veildes (2m 2f) sharing an enclosure that is plenty big for a temporary enclosure for 1. I went back in maybe a month later and there were 2 left and the female looked like death warmed over. Sunk in eyes, could barely move, etc.. After "expressing my dissatisfaction" to the manager, I removed the female to a bird cage and set up the male with a dripper and instructions. Fed him dubias and some supers since he had dead crickets in his cup that he apparently didn't want. I then told the owner I'm taking the female home. Grabbed some feeders and an extra dripper. Unfortunately, she died that night. I forced her to drink a few drops which she threw up. I did what I could and the shop has not had chams since. IDK if they will again but I told him he needs a better set up with a misting system and an employee that loves chams and knows what they are doing.

Anyway, you could offer to foster the worst of the batch. But ask him to supply feeders and lights. The labor should be more than enough.

It's shocking that so many stores know very little about chameleon care. I understand that they are difficult to provide care for on a commercial level, but you would think that by now, with all the horror stories of beginner owners killing animals they knew nothing about, that these stores would have BASIC care down. Even for a veiled, every cham that dies is at least $50-100 that the store loses. Even from a business standpoint, it makes sense to keep them comfortable and healthy as long as possible.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the conversation, just had to vent.

I think it's great that you're trying to raise awareness and help out local stores with chameleon care! Let us know how it goes!

It's shocking that so many stores know very little about chameleon care. I understand that they are difficult to provide care for on a commercial level, but you would think that by now, with all the horror stories of beginner owners killing animals they knew nothing about, that these stores would have BASIC care down. Even for a veiled, every cham that dies is at least $50-100 that the store loses. Even from a business standpoint, it makes sense to keep them comfortable and healthy as long as possible.

I think it's great that you're trying to raise awareness and help out local stores with chameleon care! Let us know how it goes!
In the case I was referring to, it was a matter of trying to shove too many chams into too small of space. I forgot to meantion , they had a fountain (I know, better than no water though) that the male hung out at and the female did not go near it. The male looked pretty good.

@Jabba93 honestly I'm not surprised considering how many people cannot even keep goldfish alive. I think too many people seem to think keeping a chameleon is the same exact requirements as keeping any other lizard. Obviously every species of lizard has their own set of needs but as we know chams are flat out special. How many times do you see a water dish in a chameleon cage? Just lame. I'm still new to these guys but I don't take the responsibility lightly. I am still very stressed every day making sure they are healthy.

thank you, it just sucks cus im friends with the people that own it and they wont listen to me lol but ill try all these ways to make them see how bad it is

Back
Top Bottom