All colored up

Sharon12

Established Member
It is kind of warm these past few days low 80s and i noticed my female Etosha is quite colored up today.. She is about 6.5 to 7 months old. Would this mean anything? There might be more vibration too as our hardwood floors are being sanded but not by her room. Or is this a sign of eggs . She is not roaming or anything. Eating etc daily. All normal.

Attachments

• IMG_20190925_150053.jpg
    IMG_20190925_150053.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 172
I just had similar question the other day when my usually muddy colored girl became a stunning lime green for her vet visit.
I had thought that they only get dark when stressed, but am told that they can also become brighter too. Your girl must be feeling the vibrations of the sander and it’s upsetting her. The black lines along her sides are good indicators of being stressed.
Once your floor work is done, she should be back to her normal.

I just had similar question the other day when my usually muddy colored girl became a stunning lime green for her vet visit.
I had thought that they only get dark when stressed, but am told that they can also become brighter too. Your girl must be feeling the vibrations of the sander and it’s upsetting her. The black lines along her sides are good indicators of being stressed.
Once your floor work is done, she should be back to her normal.
Thank you. Do i need to put a lay bin in.now? She is about 7 months

You should keep a lay bin as a permanent part of her enclosure. Not only saves you the stress of figuring out if she’s gravid or not, but she’ll have time to get used to it and be comfortable with it being part of her home.
I have added a lay bin. I think her coloration may be her receptive state. She got the blue on her casque and face. However, because she becomes receptive does that mean she will lay eggs or do they come in and out with it not necessarily leading to eggs. Also i still feed her daily. About 10 -12 med crickets plus a couple assorted worms such as horn, silk or phoenix. She eats everything in 10 min. Since she will be 7 months should I reduce feedings? Is she heavy looking?

Attachments

• IMG_20190927_083013.jpg
    IMG_20190927_083013.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 140
I’m relatively new at all of this myself, so can only tell you what little I know and have seen with my girls, and only one of mine has gone thru a ‘cycle’.
I think of it as they get all prettied up to find a man. Then she may be restless...looking for an escape and more active than usual. This may last about 2 weeks more or less and then she’ll return to normal. About 3 weeks later, my girl started eating a bit less and I found evidence she’d been digging in a plant. I covered just the visible sides of her enclosure, but it wasn’t time just yet. I pretty much covered her in the morning and uncovered at night as nothing was happening, but I knew it was close. One day I found she was really pale and almost grey. She never had the typical dark or black gravid colors. Little interest in food. I covered her again and not long after she went into her lay bin. I had several peek holes in her cover so I could monitor her progress. She spent the night in the bin...I did leave her covered. The next day she finished and I found her on her usual basking branch. I fed her, gave her an extra long misting and thankfully all went perfectly. She laid 36 infertile eggs. I replaced her bin and all is back to normal. It is very hard on their bodies, so I let her have a good recovery of a couple weeks and then reduced her feedings to every other day.
Do make sure your husbandry is correct though or you could have problems. You hopefully have a T5 HO with 5.0 bulb linear UVB light rather than the dome one. There’s a couple different ways to supplement. Some use Repashy calcium with Lo D with every feeding and no other supplement needed. Others use a calcium without D on every feeding and alternate calcium with D and a multivitamin once every other week. There are a ton of resources thru out the forum that can help guide you, or you could fill out the help form and have all of your husbandry reviewed.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

My female went through a "phase" as well. she was kind of a straight green and now she is almost always lime green with orange and sometimes turquoise. IMG_1225.jpg

@Sharon12 I agree with what @MissSkittles has told you above. I would fill out the form for her under a new thread to get exact feedback. But she looks to be showing her receptive colors. Curbing feeders back and watching temps is really important along with making sure the lighting and supplements are correct. :)

@Sharon12 I agree with what @MissSkittles has told you above. I would fill out the form for her under a new thread to get exact feedback. But she looks to be showing her receptive colors. Curbing feeders back and watching temps is really important along with making sure the lighting and supplements are correct. :)
[/QUOTE
Yes great info. I have filled out the form previously and have followed all husbandry advice. We are redoing hardwood floors and she colored up same week. I thought stress but now looks receptive. Does this always mean there will be eggs ie start of cycle always leads to a clutch? Also at 7 months should i reduce feeding her to every other day she wont come out to be weighed but vet said was not fully grown yet

Back
Top Bottom