ahhh!

ok so my veiled cham is almost a year old. i got her in october of 2020 and they said she was about a month. i’m pretty sure she’s a she. she doesn’t have the spur things and doesn’t have a bulge but at the same time her casque is a little large. i’m not sure. also- she has been staying toward the bottom of her cage and has a more prominent white line on her mouth than before. another thing is one of her poops is all white with an orange/yellow urate. can someone please tell me what they think her gender is. she overall looks healthy. eyes aren’t shrunk in, has all her nails, clean vent, etc.

Attachments

• B48B6543-8E82-4951-A0B3-7C0883C97E5C.jpeg
    B48B6543-8E82-4951-A0B3-7C0883C97E5C.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 85952AAF-73B4-461B-8DF0-EE25F4C3A22B.jpeg
    85952AAF-73B4-461B-8DF0-EE25F4C3A22B.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 4949CF95-8265-46F8-BAE0-E8EE060B0F86.jpeg
    4949CF95-8265-46F8-BAE0-E8EE060B0F86.jpeg
    127.6 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 640CA996-CD5D-41A2-9D2D-DA8C343CC3BE.jpeg
    640CA996-CD5D-41A2-9D2D-DA8C343CC3BE.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 15FEDEEC-5278-400D-A9D1-4980506A3202.jpeg
    15FEDEEC-5278-400D-A9D1-4980506A3202.jpeg
    59.9 KB · Views: 97
Defiantly a female. She looks good, but you should fill out the how to ask for help https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

This will give a more complete picture of care.

Do you have a lay bin. She will lay eggs with or without a male. This is a main cause of death to females with new keepers as they can become egg bound and or deplete themselves from too many and too large of clutches.

Defiantly a female. She looks good, but you should fill out the how to ask for help https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

Do you have a lay bin. She will lay eggs with or without a male. This is a main cause of death to females with new keepers as they can become egg bound and or deplete themselves from too many and too large of clutches.
yea i know, i do have a lay bin. in the picture of my cage its the white bin in the back. it has a branch for her to get in and out at it is 6+ inches of washed sand and we also have organic soil in there too

where do i put the how to ask for help thing

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species-veiled, sex-female, and age of your chameleon-almost a year. How long has it been in your care?-since october 2020
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? - a few times a week
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?- occasionally super worms/crickets/roaches, mainly fly larvae.What amount? when i feed her crickets i give her 4, when i give her worms i give her one or two with 4-6 small fly larvae. i give her horn worms as a treat sometimes. What is the schedule? i feed her every morning around 830. i recently went from feeding 2x a day to once because she’s older now. How are you gut-loading your feeders? crickets get fresh fruits and veggies, same as super worms. larvae come in this container and don’t eat anything
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? she daily gets rep-cal calcium no vit.D, twice a month she gets rep-cal calcium with vit.D, and twice a month she gets zoo med reptivite multi vit.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? little dripper, fill up for 8 seconds and let it run on a plant then when it empties do the same just in a different spot. How often and how long to you mist? i spray her cage a few times a day, and a little after her lights go off. i do it until her cage is fairly wet and has a lot of drinking opportunities. i set the humidifier off about 2x a day for 4-5 mins.Do you see your chameleon drinking?i’ve seen her drink one time when i first got her.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.- i don’t rlly see her poop a lot. when i see it i clean it out and in the past it’s been normal. brown with the white urate but i saw one that was all white white an orangeish urate. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?- not that i know of
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.- no

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?- screen 24x24x48
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?- 7am-7pm, zoomed reptisun 5.0 uvb (the long ones) and zoo med 75w repti basking spot lamp
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)- at the highest around 82 all day. Lowest overnight temp? around 65. How do you measure these temps? velcro thermometer things lol
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels?-at night around 60, i’m working on keeping it up hight. day time it gets around 75. How are you creating and maintaining these levels? humidifier and spraying. What do you use to measure humidity? same type of thing for the heat
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?- pathos, bromeliad, dragon tree
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? my room. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 48in tall+ a foot tall table it sits on
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? florida

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. i just want to make sure she is healthy

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - The species-veiled, sex-female, and age of your chameleon-almost a year. How long has it been in your care?-since october 2020
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?- occasionally super worms/crickets/roaches, mainly fly larvae.What amount? when i feed her crickets i give her 4, when i give her worms i give her one or two with 4-6 small fly larvae. i give her horn worms as a treat sometimes. What is the schedule? i feed her every morning around 830. i recently went from feeding 2x a day to once because she’s older now. How are you gut-loading your feeders? crickets get fresh fruits and veggies, same as super worms. larvae come in this container and don’t eat anything This is good keep same amounts and gut load, but for a female at this point I would cut back to every other day gradually going to 3 feedings a week. This helps to control the size and frequency of egg clutches.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? she daily gets rep-cal calcium no vit.D, twice a month she gets rep-cal calcium with vit.D, and twice a month she gets zoo med reptivite multi vit. Just double check that the multi does not have D# as well. If it does just stop the D3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? little dripper, fill up for 8 seconds and let it run on a plant then when it empties do the same just in a different spot. How often and how long to you mist? i spray her cage a few times a day, and a little after her lights go off. i do it until her cage is fairly wet and has a lot of drinking opportunities. i set the humidifier off about 2x a day for 4-5 mins.Do you see your chameleon drinking?i’ve seen her drink one time when i first got her. If you use a humidifier/fogger it should only be at night when temps are below 70f. Note if Florida does not allow for the lower temps compensate by use of a fan and good air movement. For Veiled they need dry days, even down to 30%, but cool 100% humidity at night. The Weed sprayer idea works well and is easy.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.- i don’t rlly see her poop a lot. when i see it i clean it out and in the past it’s been normal. brown with the white urate but i saw one that was all white white an orangeish urate. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?- not that i know of. This is all normal
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.- no

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?- screen 24x24x48
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?- 7am-7pm, zoomed reptisun 5.0 uvb (the long ones) and zoo med 75w repti basking spot lamp
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)- at the highest around 82 all day. Lowest overnight temp? around 65. How do you measure these temps? velcro thermometer things lol All Good, even for female to keep egg laying down thare pretty good temps. You can go a bit cooler, but where you are at is good.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels?-at night around 60, i’m working on keeping it up hight. day time it gets around 75. How are you creating and maintaining these levels? humidifier and spraying. What do you use to measure humidity? same type of thing for the heat
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?- pathos, bromeliad, dragon tree
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? my room. Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 48in tall+ a foot tall table it sits on
This all looks good to me, and she looks very good as well. You have obviously done some prior reading. Nice set up.

• Feeding - What are you feeding your cham?- occasionally super worms/crickets/roaches, mainly fly larvae.What amount? when i feed her crickets i give her 4, when i give her worms i give her one or two with 4-6 small fly larvae. i give her horn worms as a treat sometimes. What is the schedule? i feed her every morning around 830. i recently went from feeding 2x a day to once because she’s older now. How are you gut-loading your feeders? crickets get fresh fruits and veggies, same as super worms. larvae come in this container and don’t eat anything This is good keep same amounts and gut load, but for a female at this point I would cut back to every other day gradually going to 3 feedings a week. This helps to control the size and frequency of egg clutches.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? she daily gets rep-cal calcium no vit.D, twice a month she gets rep-cal calcium with vit.D, and twice a month she gets zoo med reptivite multi vit. Just double check that the multi does not have D# as well. If it does just stop the D3
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? little dripper, fill up for 8 seconds and let it run on a plant then when it empties do the same just in a different spot. How often and how long to you mist? i spray her cage a few times a day, and a little after her lights go off. i do it until her cage is fairly wet and has a lot of drinking opportunities. i set the humidifier off about 2x a day for 4-5 mins.Do you see your chameleon drinking?i’ve seen her drink one time when i first got her. If you use a humidifier/fogger it should only be at night when temps are below 70f. Note if Florida does not allow for the lower temps compensate by use of a fan and good air movement. For Veiled they need dry days, even down to 30%, but cool 100% humidity at night. The Weed sprayer idea works well and is easy.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings.- i don’t rlly see her poop a lot. when i see it i clean it out and in the past it’s been normal. brown with the white urate but i saw one that was all white white an orangeish urate. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?- not that i know of. This is all normal

Cage Info:

• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)- at the highest around 82 all day. Lowest overnight temp? around 65. How do you measure these temps? velcro thermometer things lol All Good, even for female to keep egg laying down thare pretty good temps. You can go a bit cooler, but where you are at is good.
This all looks good to me, and she looks very good as well. You have obviously done some prior reading. Nice set up.
thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom