AHH! I'm up to my ARMPITS in ROACHES!

Klyde O'Scope

Chameleon Enthusiast
Last time we ordered, there seemed to be some kind of national shortage of dubia roaches (which makes no sense to me—I mean... their ROACHES, right?)

Anyhow, we were only able to order 250, and the price was considerably higher than before (Oh, what we do for our reptiles! :rolleyes: ) When they got here, something was obviously amiss. I ordered med. (½"), as they're usually the best value, and Stinkeye couldn't care less; he just wants his num-numz. I'm used to there being some size variation, but 75% of this order was ¼" or smaller! Needless to say, Stinkeye ate his way through them in less than half the time they should have lasted.

So we found another supplier, put in an order, and sent the previous vendor an email. We might have done that in the wrong order, but we needed some damn roaches... and FAST! (Stinkeye was beginning to eye the dog and lick his lizard chops...)

Two packages arrived today. The first vendor sent a replacement order, and there must have been 500 roaches in there (instead of 250), 90% of which were ½" or larger. I guess they really wanted to make up for the gaff. The other package also contained ½" or larger roaches, and 50% more than we ordered!

Now I'm up to my armpits in roaches!!!

I guess now I have a colony whether I wanted one or not, because I still have 50 or so from an order in January that are almost an inch.

Sheesh! :eek:

Damn that’s a lot!!! That’s literally where I want to be because that’s actually what I’m trying to do lol is start a colony.
But like you said there is a shortage going on and I’m buying every 100 I can possibly find. But seriously how is there a shortage in roaches??!??!!! Lmao I definitely asked myself the same question when trying to find some earlier this week and all three vendors were out. I was in complete shock. Out of all things bugs.. ??‍♀️

With all those different sizes, you are correct, its a great time to start a colony. You will always have roaches at the correct size that you want to feed.

I'm going to have to do that as well. I feed off 6 of them a week but they are producing several hundred babies a month.

I'm going to have to do that as well. I feed off 6 of them a week but they are producing several hundred babies a month.
Egad, what do these poor chameleons live on
My beardie used to eat 15 per meal 3x a day while he was growing.
Now he eats 20-25 every other day. No, he's not fat. ...he's big-boned. :rolleyes:
Kidding—he's normal weight per his breeder & the vet.

@Klyde O'Scope I'd be willing to take em off your hands if my guy actually ate them!!! ?smh im SO upset he doesn't....i heard the cham can get scared and won't ever go for em so i think that's what happened... and i started with small and worked my way up and he didn't bat an eye at a single one! ?‍♂️

Last time we ordered, there seemed to be some kind of national shortage of dubia roaches (which makes no sense to me—I mean... their ROACHES, right?)

Anyhow, we were only able to order 250, and the price was considerably higher than before (Oh, what we do for our reptiles! :rolleyes: ) When they got here, something was obviously amiss. I ordered med. (½"), as they're usually the best value, and Stinkeye couldn't care less; he just wants his num-numz. I'm used to there being some size variation, but 75% of this order was ¼" or smaller! Needless to say, Stinkeye ate his way through them in less than half the time they should have lasted.

So we found another supplier, put in an order, and sent the previous vendor an email. We might have done that in the wrong order, but we needed some damn roaches... and FAST! (Stinkeye was beginning to eye the dog and lick his lizard chops...)

Two packages arrived today. The first vendor sent a replacement order, and there must have been 500 roaches in there (instead of 250), 90% of which were ½" or larger. I guess they really wanted to make up for the gaff. The other package also contained ½" or larger roaches, and 50% more than we ordered!

Now I'm up to my armpits in roaches!!!

I guess now I have a colony whether I wanted one or not, because I still have 50 or so from an order in January that are almost an inch.

Sheesh! :eek:
lucky ;)

Mmmm...
Getting a better than expected replacement order is lucky.
Getting 150% of an order is lucky.
Getting both... the two luckies cancel out! ?

I feel like this awesome responsibility (roach farmer) has been thrust upon me.
In order to do it right, I'll need to buy another bin, heater pad, egg crate substrate, thermometer, and IDK what all else, not to mention the added imposition on my already-stretched time.

Somehow I think this is going to cost me more than it'll save in the long run... :cautious:

Mmmm...
Getting a better than expected replacement order is lucky.
Getting 150% of an order is lucky.
Getting both... the two luckies cancel out! ?

I feel like this awesome responsibility (roach farmer) has been thrust upon me.
In order to do it right, I'll need to buy another bin, heater pad, egg crate substrate, thermometer, and IDK what all else, not to mention the added imposition on my already-stretched time.

Somehow I think this is going to cost me more than it'll save in the long run... :cautious:
Nah... Put them in a big bin. Use toilet paper or paper towel rolls to save buying egg crate and/or use the containers from your eggs. Recycle! Worry about a heat pad if/when it gets cold. Throw some veggie scraps in there and all is good. You’ll never be without feeders again.

Like this?

1598537085388.jpeg
1598537167763.jpeg

This is how I've always done it, except that now instead of 2 of these, I have 5.
I don't WANNA to be the owner/manager of ANY kind of roach ranch.
Figured out a long time ago that it wouldn't make sense (for me) unless I had at least 3 reptiles (beardies), and probably many more since chameleons don't seem to eat much.
Just not how I want to spend my remaining years. YMMV.

Nah... Put them in a big bin. Use toilet paper or paper towel rolls to save buying egg crate and/or use the containers from your eggs. Recycle! Worry about a heat pad if/when it gets cold. Throw some veggie scraps in there and all is good. You’ll never be without feeders again.
Egg crate is 49 cents a sheet at Josh's Frogs right now. :). ...(plus $6.99 shipping *cough*)

I've got two colonies right now but they're not really ... colonizing. They've got plenty of unbleached paper and egg crate for hiding, dim light during the day, dark at night, a heater pad that gets around 90°F, and I feed 'em human-grade fruits and veggies every day. It's been over a month and... No ooths :/

What do I change?

Back
Top Bottom