AGGRESSIVE Veiled

Help! I have had my male Veiled Chameleon for about 2 years now. He was so sweet and loving when I first got him. Over time he has grown distant to me and is now SUPER AGGRESIVE when I try to take him out or feed and water him. Two weeks ago I was able to get him out of his habitat to walk around. He was fine and when I went to take him out the next day he tried to bite me multiple times. I gave him a week to calm down and tried again and the same thing happened. I wanted a lizard to take out and interact with and he used to be like that and now he puffs up when I walk by. He is on a diet of mainly crickets and occasionaly a grape or some lettace which he loves but now wont even take it from me. I also make sure he gets calcium and vitamin A every month. I love him but am thinking of re-homing him as I feel he is not happy with me if he is that aggressive. What should I do? Any advice would help please!

Chameleons are a pet meant for looking not interacting with. Some chams, especially veileds, are aggressive and that's just a part of their personality but you can try to train him to be more docile by giving him rewards every time he acts the way you want him to. A good way is to place a treat on your arms and let him climb onto you. Don't give up on him and chameleons are amazing pets even if you can't always interact with them. I don't think he's unhappy just grumpy :D

Rontti is right. He doesn’t hate you, he is displaying typical cage aggressive veiled behavior. It’s just their nature.

But I disagree with the whole chameleons are pets idea.... Chameleons are not pets, they are a hobby! If you are looking for a pet that can be handled it would be hard for you to have made a worse choice. The only thing less receptive to handling would probably be a venomous snake. If your not ok with that then it would probably be best for both of you if he was re-homed. But if your willing to there are plenty of members here willing to help you work on calming him down such as @Rontti

While your making that decision can we discuss his calcium and vitamin schedule? What are you using and how often?

Has anything changed from his cage, on the inside or outside? I have a veiled who I would consider to be on the more friendly side, I can reach my hand in to clean without much problem and occasionally he will come out by himself if the door is open. However, when I have to move his cage when family come to visit, he becomes a completely different chameleon. I can't even look at him without him becoming defensive. However, when he is moved back to his normal room, he returns to his normal self.

Rontti is right. He doesn’t hate you, he is displaying typical cage aggressive veiled behavior. It’s just their nature.

But I disagree with the whole chameleons are pets idea.... Chameleons are not pets, they are a hobby! If you are looking for a pet that can be handled it would be hard for you to have made a worse choice. The only thing less receptive to handling would probably be a venomous snake. If your not ok with that then it would probably be best for both of you if he was re-homed. But if your willing to there are plenty of members here willing to help you work on calming him down such as @Rontti

While your making that decision can we discuss his calcium and vitamin schedule? What are you using and how often?
You are absolutely right! Pet was a poor choice of words on my part. Chameleons are wild animals and can't be domesticated in the same way as a dog for example.

Should've gotten a bearded dragon if you wanted a lizard to interact with... Not for nothing but if you are thinking about rehoming your chameleon just because he became aggressive then I personally do not think you should be keeping any reptiles. They arent like cats or dogs.

If you do keep the cham, take the time and research methods of building trust between you and the chameleon. Also, as @Brodybreaux25 mentioned, it seems like you need to get you supplement schedule in order...

Almost every day my chameleon it's all so aggressive to me but honestly I don't mind that much. I've been trying to trust exercises with him if that's even a thing but they haven't worked so I kind of just give up on that. if that's not the kind of animal you're looking for get something else that's more friendly.

if your planning to keep your chameleon, great way to sort of get him used to you is to spend a LOT of time near him, move him to your bedroom or somewhere u frequent a lot. he'll get a little more used to seeing you that way but in all honestly veiled are the more grumpy of the species they don't really enjoy being handled unless theyre getting food out of it

I have decided to keep him as I just cant trust someone wont just buy him for breeding. I have him in my room currently. He has always been in my bedroom. I have just been opening the door to his habitat, walking buy acting like I dont see him and offering his favorite treats. Thank you for all of your tips and help.

Back
Top Bottom