aggressive veiled chameleons?

craig

Its strange to hear that so many people are saying veileds are aggressive. I had an adult male and when I would go to grab him sometimes he would his but thats it. My adult females were tame. The babies from their lay were nice too. I guess I wasn't into the hobby to long. Iam planning on getting more veileds and possibly some jacksons too.

Some times you do not always get that lucky with a real friendly one. Some times you do.

my veiled is usually very calm and relaxed but he does have his days like today he just wouldnt get out of his cage i use for sunning and let me put him in his inside one

When mine would hiss and flatten out I would grab him, pry his hands off the branch and show him whose boss. Only got bit once because I was teasing him:eek: I deserved it but it didn't hurt at all. Just a "cut it out" bite:D I miss Spike:(

When mine would hiss and flatten out I would grab him, pry his hands off the branch and show him whose boss. Only got bit once because I was teasing him:eek: I deserved it but it didn't hurt at all. Just a "cut it out" bite:D I miss Spike:(
Exemplary description of exactly what you should NOT do. They don't have the mental capacity to understand your actions and can't understand that "you are boss". They are not a dog. You stressed that chameleon and could have potential done bodily harm. But you are right, you deserved that bite, and many more.

yeah, not hurting him though. I didn't rip him off but pryed his hands off the branch. Once I put my hand over him he would stop hissing. He never got black stress marks. I think he was one of those starburst veileds. He had bright orange, blue, green and white colors, very pretty and I have never seen on with colors like that before. He got better colors as he got older. Poor thing got a growth on him and thats what took him. I think veileds are the best chameleons:D didn't mean for it to sound so rough.

Last edited:
My veiled has a bad attitude when he's in his cage. When i go to grab him he hisses at me and you can tell he doesnt want to leave, then I get him out and hes fine. When he's not in the cage he never hisses at me and he's very calm. Alot of the time i hold him while watching TV and he falls asleep on my hand.
Really most of the time when they hiss i guess its just a scare tactic! Just dont force him out of the cage coz they really dont like that!

I think a lot of people mistake their chamleeon for falling asleep, when they are actually just closing their eyes because they are stressing out. Use caution when handling and do it responsibly.

Yeh i understand but i can tell when my cham is sleeping or stressed. When stressed he puffs up and tries to move away. When he falls asleep he is nice and thin plus when i try to put him back into his cage he doesnt want to go and tries to stay with me. My cham is very friendly and i can even rub his cheeks and he calms down.
He's very clear when he doesnt like something because of the way he moves about!

I think what Will is refering to is when a chameleon plays possum. They will close their eyes and act dead.

If the room is very dark they might go to sleep. When I have had to transport them in the past a dark shoe box with a rag in it will usually do the trick. They usually pass out in a couple minutes.

I think what Will is refering to is when a chameleon plays possum. They will close their eyes and act dead.
No... not at all. Have you ever seen a cage with too many chameleons in it together? How some appear to be sleeping even when the lights are on? A stress resonse, ball up, hold tight, and close your eyes.

Back
Top Bottom