Aggession

Rhani

Hi my male veiled is quite aggressive, he hisses and goes to bite and will drop on floor of viv, he is only 4 month and my local pet shop told me it was normal and to just pick him up and he will get used to me but im worried about him biting and dont want to cause any stress, how do i ober come this problem?

They don’t like to be handled, I’m concerned about the dropping on the floor thing, please fill this form out to your best ability. And welcome to the forums!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi my male veiled is quite aggressive, he hisses and goes to bite and will drop on floor of viv, he is only 4 month and my local pet shop told me it was normal and to just pick him up and he will get used to me but im worried about him biting and dont want to cause any stress, how do i ober come this problem?
Most pet store employees don’t know a thing about the animals they are caring for. I’m not saying all of them but most of them. They will come out when they are ready, this can take months even years. You need to build trust with your Cham, they are not like dog where they are your best friend, the closest you can get to a “relationship” is you being their favorite tree. Hand feeding is one of the most popular ways to do this I’m sure there is a blog somewhere on the forums.

Tbh hes prob not that bad, he will walk onto my hand after a ehile but if i go to pick him up he attacks, hes so fast aswell

Tbh hes prob not that bad, he will walk onto my hand after a ehile but if i go to pick him up he attacks, hes so fast aswell
You can't push them... If you do there is no trust built. I am guessing you just got him as well? I highly advice filling out the help form to ensure you got the right information. Your pet store is wrong in their way to get him used to you.

You can't push them... If you do there is no trust built. I am guessing you just got him as well? I highly advice filling out the help form to ensure you got the right information. Your pet store is wrong in their way to get him used to you.
Agree with Beman, you must go at thier pace and if they are showing agressive behavior then back off. I know you are eager to hold them but it takes time to build thier trust. Good luck

It took my panther 5 months to come out of his cage. During this 5 months I never just took him out because I wanted to, I exposed my hand to him and hand fed almost daily to make him realize I was not a predator--eventually one day when my hand was in his cage he walked on and I was able to handle him, from then on he was comfortable with handling. You need to build trust and only handle if they are willing. Some chameleon owners I follow on instagram appear to handle their chameleons daily, which IMO is bad.

I mean by changing the substrate and cleaning all leaves,was told to fully clean atleast once a month

I mean by changing the substrate and cleaning all leaves,was told to fully clean atleast once a month
Ok again hun.... You need to post pics of the entire enclosure and fill out this help form with detail.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Male 4 mnth veiled, had about 5 weeks, been trying to handle last 2 weeks, has very good appitite, he eats hoppers and crickets that are dusted in calci every feed and nutroball twice a week, he eats between 12_ 20 depending on apitite, hes shedding nicely, feed twice sometimes 3 times a day, i spray 3_ 4 times a day and dnt let hummidity go any lower than 50, he sometimes walks under water while i spray and he drinks off leaves, i have mixed fake and real plants but not sure what they are but have checked are safe, he poos regular and normal colour, white with dark, viv is 2ft long, 2ft wide and 3 ft tall, wooden with glass front, temp is 30 and have thermostat, hope ive covered all

No its just a standard wooden viv with a few live plants aswell as fake ones

Attachments

• 20191110_203436.jpg
    20191110_203436.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 111
Are you trying to put your hand right around him and lift him out or putting your fingers under his chin and letting him walk onto your hand to get him out? Have you tried getting him to step onto a branch you're holding?

Back
Top Bottom