Agent 99 had 63 eggs yesterday

zqblondie

So our one year old veiled laid some eggs yesterday

she didnt look like she needed to lay eggs
she was not especially fat at all, and she wasnt restless either.

on friday we found one egg on the bottom of her cage so on Saturday we set up a bucket for her and covered up her cage

sunday night we heard her digging away throughout the night and by dinnertime last night she had returned to the branches covered in dirt...lol
She looked very skinny and fragile, but not sooo much of a difference from a few days ago.

This morning I took the bucket out and dug out the eggs....
63 OF THEM!!!!

i didnt know a veiled could have so many, and as I said. She didnt even look all that fat. How did she hold them all inside of her?
amazing!

now we are just spoiling her with silkworms, water etc...
anything else we should do now that she has laid her eggs?
btw...she did not mate with a male, this was just her naturally occuring egg laying.
:D

Wow... You may want to regulate her feeding, and put her on a bit of a diet.... Cutting her back a little may prevent her from cycling sutch large clutches of eggs in the future. What are the temps in her cage? Laying that many eggs will definatly take a toll on her, and is something you will definately want to try to keep in check. Especially infertile clutches, something you want to avoid when possible. The Silkies and what not are great for her right now, She definately deserves some spoiling after that...Imagine what she just went through:eek:.

~Joe

PS... Your Avatar is a Crack Up!

Give the girl a cigar!!!My god. Poor little girl. Take good care of her.

Seriously. I would also suggest cutting back on her diet. It takes out soooooo much out of their little bodies to produce that many eggs. I believe it is Brad that has a really good page on how to do that. I'm not sure of the site but i believe it is raisingmisskittytheveiledchameleon. He suggests keeping the temps down just bellow optimum and cutting down on food intake to reduce or stop infertile clutches altogether.

Good luck with the little girl.

Debby

yes...she is a little trooper isnt she?
We really do not overfeed her at all...we basically give her 4 lightly dusted crickets or 3 silkworms a day.
Is that too much? didnt seem like it to us...

and her cage is in the mid 80s during the day and mid 70s at night.

We didnt put a bucket right away becauseshe really did not look like she had any eggs in her. She honestly was not fat at all :confused:
Well now we know more of the signs to look for and will be better prepared for next time.
In the meantime we will be treating her like a queen til shes happy and healthy again :)

Back
Top Bottom