age and gender of my senegal??

NavyCham

this is nemo, ive had him/her for a month now and i was waiting to see if as he/she got older id be able to tell the gender but i still dont know if it is female or just too young to tell. Im new to chams and i see the differences in age of the panthers and veileds cause they are larger species but with senegals they are so small i cant tell their age. help please! i tried to get some good pictures but if you want different angles let me know

nemo 1.jpg
nemo 2.jpg
nemo 3.jpg

I'm quite sure she is a female.
Yopu can not see the hemipenis. Further she is not to small to tell.

Last edited:
Hey.. my new dude is about the same size as your little buddy.. I'm also not sure on the age, so I won't say how old I think mine is, but maybe this pic with help you with the gender? I'm quite sure mines a male based on the width of the base of his tail and what I believe is a hemi-penal bulge.. it is very hard to tell the gender when they're this little. They are not like veileds. they do not have spurs.
I have 19 other clutch mates to compare with and he has a considerably wider tail base than others regardless of their weight.

Attachments

• photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 306
Hey.. my new dude is about the same size as your little buddy.. I'm also not sure on the age, so I won't say how old I think mine is, but maybe this pic with help you with the gender? I'm quite sure mines a male based on the width of the base of his tail and what I believe is a hemi-penal bulge.. it is very hard to tell the gender when they're this little. They are not like veileds. they do not have spurs.
I have 19 other clutch mates to compare with and he has a considerably wider tail base than others regardless of their weight.

thats actually very helpful. They are very close to the same size. ive been studying many pictures and senegal males seem to have a less prodominant bulge because theyre a small species. also i have seen a fact sheet that mentioned males having spurs but ive seen more that say they dont. im having a hard time finding a clear picture of a males back feet to know for sure.

It was my mistake of the spurs they do not have any. The gracefull has it. I will look for pictures of my old pair.

It was my mistake of the spurs they do not have any. The gracefull has it. I will look for pictures of my old pair.

yep i remeber the gracefuls having them so it wouldnt really surprise me if the senegals did too. for my little one im going to keep calling it a him but i will go by the "female until proven male" rule, meaning im gonna go ahead and supply a laying bin until I can get more confirmation on his gender

Back
Top Bottom