after eggs, still digging

jjacquio

last night my one year old veiled cham laid her eggs. they are pink and look like beans. my only concern is that after she’s laid them last night, she went to sleep but now she’s still digging. she’s more just moving dirt around than digging though.

her cage is definitely big enough, her temperatures are in the 70’s (f). what i do think could possible have a factor is that i feed her mealworms, gutloaded with carrots. she started refusing crickets so with her worms, i give her about any red fruit because that’s what she’ll eat. i use reptivite for her vitamins. i’ve tried using other things but i’ve found this works best for her.

will she eventually stop digging? should i contact my vet?
thank you.

Attachments

• 5C68D44B-5B82-4410-B8BE-DC7E94E0A25F.jpeg
    5C68D44B-5B82-4410-B8BE-DC7E94E0A25F.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 131
her cage is not covered, i didn’t know i should have done that. i think i will get a bigger laying bin, do you think she could still lay more even after that?
I wouldn’t change anything at this moment you don’t want to interrupter her once she starts to lay because egg bound can occur. Once brody gets here he might have better advice but I would cover the bottom half of her cage to give her privacy

Hi there. I will leave the laying advice to Brody. But please be careful with giving her so much fruit... Honestly it is not a natural thing for them to eat all the time. You could offer her leafy greens. My guess with her going for the fruit so much is that she is lacking nutrients since she is now addicted to the meal worms. Your going to have to get her off those. Get her back on her crickets. You can add in other feeders for her as well. But you have to be properly gutloading. I use bug burger with some additional stuff in it for my feeders. The carrots are not a good enough source of nutrients but also Mealworms do not gut load well at all. They are higher in chitin so they are fibrous and harder to digest.
Here are some care images that will help with gutloading and feeders.

Attachments

• chameleon-food(1).jpg
    chameleon-food(1).jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 136
  • chameleon-gutload.jpg
    chameleon-gutload.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 128
last night my one year old veiled cham laid her eggs. they are pink and look like beans. my only concern is that after she’s laid them last night, she went to sleep but now she’s still digging. she’s more just moving dirt around than digging though.

her cage is definitely big enough, her temperatures are in the 70’s (f). what i do think could possible have a factor is that i feed her mealworms, gutloaded with carrots. she started refusing crickets so with her worms, i give her about any red fruit because that’s what she’ll eat. i use reptivite for her vitamins. i’ve tried using other things but i’ve found this works best for her.

will she eventually stop digging? should i contact my vet?
thank you.
It’s not uncommon for them to just walk around on top of her nest for up to 24-36 hours after the hole is covered. She’s just being a good mama and is trying to ensure her best is well hidden.

29 eggs is a small clutch for a veild but given what you’ve been feeding her I would expect a small clutch, however I can not guarantee that’s what’s happening here.

Monitor her HOURLY for the next two days and CLOSLY for the next week. If she shows the slightest hint of going downhill you need to get to an emergency vet fast. I wouldn’t even make an appointment, just show up. They will not turn you away.

Back
Top Bottom