After all the effort I put into breeding silkworms..

My chameleons won't eat them.. ?

Quite some weeks ago, I finally got to buy some (500) eggs,
Waited for weeks untill they hatched,
Proceeded to carefully move around these teeny tiny fragile worms with a tiny paintbrush or feather in order to clean their uneaten food every few days,
cleaned out dead worms (they die so damn easy)
After a month only about 100 out of 500 were left.
But lo and behold, they were finally feeder size!
So I dangle one in front of my chameleon, quite proud of my ability to keep these fecking worms alive,
And all he does is get all puffy and pissed off ?
I also put one in his cage and left it, but he did not eat it lol. Guess they don't recognise it as food?

Ungrateful bastards.
On the plus side, the silkworm moths are very cute to look at.

Just give them some empty TP rolls (if you can find them) or similar. They will cocoon once they are done feeding. Wait some time for the moths to emerge and feed those off. Chams love flying/fluttering things. The moths don't eat, nor do any moths in the silk moth family, and are small enough to feed to a variety of sizes of chams.

I had the exact same problem with my first panther ??

Silkworm feeders are hard to find where I live so I drove about one and a half hours to a farm and purchased about 100 live worms. I even starved my panther for about a week to see if he would give them a try, but to no avail. I've read that it varies from chameleon to chameleon and also how late (or early) you try to introduce them to their diet.

I bet they would happily go after the moths ... I wonder why I have not read about anyone trying this before. Are the moth wings (dust) bad for chameleons?

I've successfully fed moths and never had issues. I've read caresheets that suggest moths as a good staple.

Mulberry farms is great. I've bought tons of silk moths from rainbow and they always die or turn to mushy black goo in their cocoons. It's strange. I've ordered from mulberry farms in the past, the only downside is that you have to raise the eggs and then the caterpillars which is part of the reason I gravitated towards rainbow. I ordered 2000 eggs from Mulberry about two weeks ago and all of the eggs are seemingly doing well. Using the mulberry farms brand silkworm food instead of the one rainbow sells because I feel like that might have had something to do with it.

There's a pic below of the ones from Mulberry Farms. I woke up today with about twice as many.

Attachments

• IMG_9213.jpeg
    IMG_9213.jpeg
    122.6 KB · Views: 97
Back
Top Bottom