African Praying Chameleon??

Anyone ever heard of this?

There was one for sale at a very large, well-known pet place in Amish country, and this is the name it had posted on the enclosure. It was completely black, not sure if that was his normal color. Wish I would have taken a photo....

The shop in Lancaster PA? The word 'praying' or any of it's permutations or even misspellings doesn't come up in any of the common chameleon names. There was, however, a recent shipment of African Chameleons (Chamaeleo africanus) to come into the US; maybe it was one of them? They generally aren't black but a stressed, gravid one might be.

The shop in Lancaster PA? The word 'praying' or any of it's permutations or even misspellings doesn't come up in any of the common chameleon names. There was, however, a recent shipment of African Chameleons (Chamaeleo africanus) to come into the US; maybe it was one of them? They generally aren't black but a stressed, gravid one might be.

Yes, it is in Lancaster. I know, I googled it as well and couldn't find anything. It didn't look like a veiled, they did have a few of those and a mellers. It looked weird, not unhealthy, just...odd. Completely, solid black. Maybe I will call them tomorrow....

I know Strictly Reptiles was selling them (guessing they imported them) a couple weeks ago. I was curious what they were too. Either Chamaeleo africanus or Chamaeleo hoehnelii is my guess. I doubt it was Chamaeleo hoehnelii.

Yes, it is in Lancaster. I know, I googled it as well and couldn't find anything. It didn't look like a veiled, they did have a few of those and a mellers. It looked weird, not unhealthy, just...odd. Completely, solid black. Maybe I will call them tomorrow....

A black or dark chameleon is pretty much the epitome of an unhealthy chameleon.

I know Strictly Reptiles was selling them (guessing they imported them) a couple weeks ago. I was curious what they were too. Either Chamaeleo africanus or Chamaeleo hoehnelii is my guess. I doubt it was Chamaeleo hoehnelii.

Called them today and they said it was a Chamaeleo africanus

Praying probably comes from their defensive stance where they raise their hands under their chins. Probably just came from someone involved in getting them.

Back
Top Bottom