Aflatoxicosis

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
I just went through Hell with aflatoxin poisoning of my collection. I believe the collection was poisoned by contaminated crickets.

Alfatoxins are toxins produced by fungi the Aspergillus family, usually Aspergillus flavus that infects grain crops. Aflatoxins are very powerful toxins.

I had many vets consulting with me, some out of the goodness of their hearts. I had an exotic pathologist (the same pathologist the San Antonio Zoo uses) come to my house and look over my collection and my husbandry. He took two ill animals for pathology. Four more became so ill over the next few days, I took them and prepared them for necropsy per the pathologist's instructions and gave them to the pathologist. There is a huge benefit to kill and immediately preserve the animal for pathology, but it is not for the meek. The pathologist sent the slides from the six animals off to another pathologist who is an expert in reptile pathology. I've got a few more jars of other chameleons sitting in formalin just in case they want to do more.

All agree--I think they all agree--that a toxin is involved.

Aflatoxicosis is not easy to diagnose in a living animal and are usually only diagnosed by culturing the food sources and that was not done. By the time we started to look at a toxin, it was too late to culture the crickets.

A dear friend of mine, an avian vet who did a research fellowship at London Zoological Society working on reptile and avian projects was the first to suggest aflatoxicosis. He's now convinced that is what I was dealing with. He told me toxic changes are not specific and it would be nearly impossible to implicate aflatoxins unless fungal cultures had revealed the presence of fungi from the genus Aspergillus in the crickets.

I am not sure whether the crickets were contaminated from moldy feed fed to them at the cricket farm or my own poor cricket husbandry as at times they were kept too crowded and too wet. I also wonder if the crickets ate moldy vegetation from soggy pots of plants. Moldy grain is the usual source of aflatoxins. I only fed the crickets fresh veggies, but Aspergillus flavus is common in the soil and in decaying vegetation. I do know that as soon as I removed crickets as a food source they improved. The improvement was immediate and for some dramatic.

I think aflatoxicosis is a lot more common than we realize. Having gone through this with so many affected animals at once, I recognize similarities in stories from people describing symptoms of their sick chameleon.

The pathology reports were all similar and inconclusive but all showed evidence of a slow intoxication.

Symptoms in the living animals started with depression, poor growth, and dark colors. As they got sicker, they ended up seeming to avoid light and ended up on the ground. Some exhibited neurological symptoms and at times appeared blind and having seizures. There seemed to be skin infections or skin integrity issues as I marked up the cheeks of many just from restraining them when I was supplement feeding. Many ended up writhing on the ground in apparent agony for days at a time. Some would appear fine and then be on the ground rolling around a few minutes later. Others lay in a crumpled heap on the ground, sometimes on their backs or sides. I think they had a suppressed immune system as some of my captive born and bred babies had very heavy parasite loads that they could only have gotten from the feeder insects.

The animals most affected were the babies and the gravid new imports. Some animals, including babies, were never affected or were hardly affected at all.. Some of my adult long-term captive female quads and graciliors developed very bad edemas that I have not been able to clear. One long-term captive female ended up with huge black necrotic patches on her body after laying her clutch--it was as if her skin was too fragile to cope with brushing against any surface. She's slowly healing. My long-term captive males seemed unaffected.

Some of those animals that lay for days on their backs or writhing in pain and blind are now well on the road to recovery. At least two of the vets I have consulted with believe they will make a full and complete recovery--the other vets have not weighed in on that yet.

It was awful to see so many in my collection suffering so terribly and not be able to do anything about it. I wanted to euthanize but the vets all wanted me to keep them alive until they had an answer. I think I now have the answer. I've removed crickets as a food source although the vet friend who was the first to identify the problem wants me to breed my own.

I wonder if edema caused by crickets--something many of us have experienced--is really a mild case of aflatoxicosis.

I hope my disaster can help others. I would hate anyone to go through what I just did.

O! Dear! I am so sorry for your experience! Thanks soooo much for sharing with us!!! The symptoms sure sound like aflatoxin to me! When I was a child I saw people getting sick from it! Same basic symptomology! So sorry for your experience and your loss!

It must have been agonizing for you. Thank you so much for sharing this info. Hopefully your experience will save others and their loss will not have been totally in vain.
Again so sorry for your loss.

Thank you.

You have no idea how awful this was to go through.

First I thought I had some kind of infectious disease. I have a very large collection of wild-caught, so genetically diverse, Trioceros quadricornis gracilior and a smaller collection of T.q.quadricornis. I am told my gracilior collection is the largest in the world. They are not being exported and might never be again. It was more than just my animals that I cared about--it was the future of the species in captivity in the US. I believe there are only two lines of graciliors in Europe, so they couldn't be imported from there.

I was desperately trying to prevent any disease from spreading. My hands are a mess from washing. I tried desperately to isolate the babies. It just isn't that easy to do. It was a really stressful time. It shook me to the core.

So sorry that you had to go through all of this.

I've never heard of chameleons getting edema from crickets...I'd like to know more about this. I've rarely had edema at all in any of my chameleons....just luck maybe.

Although I've read quite a bit about aflatoxicosis I've never had that happen either...thank goodness. It doesn't stop me from wanting to learn about it though.

So sorry that you had to go through all of this.

I've never heard of chameleons getting edema from crickets...I'd like to know more about this. I've rarely had edema at all in any of my chameleons....just luck maybe.

Although I've read quite a bit about aflatoxicosis I've never had that happen either...thank goodness. It doesn't stop me from wanting to learn about it though.

Lots of us have chameleons that get edemas from crickets. I had one shipment of crickets that I could turn edemas on and off just by feeding or not feeding the crickets. I fed that particular shipment of crickets and a day or two later, certain females got edemas. I took them off the crickets and went back to silkworms and edemas went down. After a few days of no edemas, I fed the crickets. Poof, edemas. It didn't matter what I fed those crickets or how long I kept them--they always gave certain of my quad females edemas.

I always attributed edemas and crickets to the vitamin supplements in the cricket feed at the cricket farm. Now I think it is from aflatoxicosis.

What did the vet do to help the ones you said may recover completely recover?

At first I did nothing but increased the misting. I thought I was dealing with something infectious and didn't want to spread it to the rest of the collection so minimized doing anything with their cages or the animals.

When they lingered and didn't die, I started force feeding them a diluted powdered critical care food from the vet (Emeraid). I pulled all live plants out of the baby cages and replaced with dreaded plastic and natural branches from oak trees.

It seemed their immune systems were compromised as the pathology reports from one of my captive bred babies had some sort of septicemia and another captive bred baby had a heavy parasite load (from the crickets). I wormed them with Panacur, even the sick ones.

Several seemed to have neurological involvement and my handling them would trigger some sort of abnormal behavior that must have been some kind of a seizure. (One pathology report showed brain degeneration and edema). At times one seemed completely blind--I could touch his eye and he would not blink--but was able to see and track at other times. The baby that was blind at times is eating dubia from a cup like a little piggy. His neurological episodes decreased over time as soon as I took all crickets out of his cage and started feeding force feeding him. I think worming them made a difference. It seemed to me that any stressor seemed to be the tipping point for them--parasites or being gravid. Adult male in my collection seem unaffected.

I had trouble getting answers (except from my friend, the research vet) even when the six pathology reports came back. To be honest, I felt most of the vets hadn't seen anything like that it before and really didn't have an answer. It was my good friend Jaime Samour, a research vet, who was positive what I was dealing with. He said it was obvious to him. When they immediately started improving after I removed the crickets and started supplement feeding them, he said that confirmed it. Although Jaime is known primarily as a falcon/avian vet (he's edited three avian veterinary medicine text books, maybe more that I don't know of, and written many research papers), he started in wildlife medicine both avian and reptile. He did a research fellowship at Zoological Society of London and even had his office in the reptile house of The London Zoo. He has an extensive background with reptiles. My gut feeling is they dealt with it at the London Zoo because of the way he talks about breeding crickets.

He immediately responded to the pathology reports with this:
"In most of the reports I see clearly the evidence of a slow intoxication, which I could attribute to aflaxoxins."

And later, with this when they were recovering:
"Crickets are the worst food item if raised on grains. We used to raise them on vegetables such as potatoes and lettuce with great success and never encountered any fungal issue. I do not have any doubt now that we were dealing with aflatoxicosis."

I think what confused the vets was that I don't think they had that classic liver damage from aflatoxins. As Jaime said, "Most of the pathological findings are similar and somehow inconclusive." There was nothing obvious. But there hasn't been the research to the affects of aflatoxins on reptiles that there has been on poultry and livestock, so I don't know if anyone knows how aflatoxins affect reptiles in general and chameleons in particular.

I think I've had deaths from this before, I just didn't recognize it as a pattern.

Thank you for the link to the sugar gliders.

Janet I am so sorry it hear about this! How horrible for both your chams and you! I know you care and do your very best for your chams! I hope the chams you have left thrive.

Thanks for wall the information! I have to digest it before replying though. It's a lot to think about.
I thought the sugar glider site had lots of interesting information so ogpf course that's why I posted it.

Have you thought of breeding your own crickets? That would lower the risk of getting infected crickets.

You said lots of us have chameleons that get edema from crickets....I've never heard of it. Any cases of gular edema I've seen or heard of were from supplements, what was fed to the insects or organ failure. I'm not doubting you...I've just never heard of it being a cause.

I've never had a chameleon exhibit the symptoms you talked about...so I guess I've been lucky....or maybe it's because I have always used greens and veggies etc for the crickets and the breeders in Canada may raise the crickets differently?

Did the liver damage include chronic portal fibrosis or bile duct hyperplasia?

Last edited:
Have you thought of breeding your own crickets? That would lower the risk of getting infected crickets.

You said lots of us have chameleons that get edema from crickets....I've never heard of it. Any cases of gular edema I've seen or heard of were from supplements, what was fed to the insects or organ failure. I'm not doubting you...I've just never heard of it being a cause.

I've never had a chameleon exhibit the symptoms you talked about...so I guess I've been lucky....or maybe it's because I have always used greens and veggies etc for the crickets and the breeders in Canada may raise the crickets differently?

Did the liver damage include chronic portal fibrosis or bile duct hyperplasia?

Yes, another big breeder has found crickets causes edema. I always blamed it on something like Vitamins powder in the feed the cricket farm was feeding. I now think it is aflatoxicosis.

I've found two other very experienced breeders/keepers who have experienced something very similar to what happened to me. The first breeder shared what seemed to be an accute poisoning. The necropsies didn't show the cause of death (and neither did mine) but it was very black and white for him--he fed a certain bunch of babies crickets and they all fell ill suddenly and died. He fed another bunch of his collection (and babies) a different food and none became ill. They all started the day exactly the same, pristine healthy vigorous babies and adults, but only the ones fed a certain shipment of crickets sickened and/or died. He lost $35,000 worth of animals. In my case, it is a slow intoxication, but in the first breeder's case it was accute. The second breeder didn't do necropsies but his description was so very similar to what I experienced.

The livers did appear as the pathologist expected to see with aflatoxicosis, but he also said to me no one really know what that should look like in a reptile. There are two other full pathology reports I had done a year ago on other individuals. I never looked at the final report, but one did have something very wrong with the gall bladder (infection?). I opened up a few myself before this was obviously not just new imports that declined from egg binding and found things like distended gall bladders.

I've copied the relevant portions of emails from my dear friend Jaime Samour who is basically a research vet. He's written at least three veterinary texts on avian medicine. He did a research fellowship at the prestigious Zoological Society of London where he worked on reptile and avian projects. He was the first to mention aflatoxins before I had any deaths. I kept asking him, why do you think aflatoxicosis when no one else would even hazard a guess other than talk vaguely about toxins? In bold is his response to my repeated questioning him on why it was so obvious to him but not to the other vets, including an exotic pathologist who apparently one of the leading experts in reptile pathology. The other quotes (not in bold) are in chronological order in response to the results of the pathology reports. My gut feeling is that Jaime was there at the London Zoo when they had a huge die off of their reptile collection from aflatoxicosis but he is keeping that information, rightly, confidential. In one of his emails to me, he talked about how "we" raised crickets on potatoes and lettuce and didn't have a fungal problem, which when I read between the lines tells me there had been a fungal problem before they switched to potatoes and lettuce. I know aspergillosis is a huge problem with falcons, so it is a pathogen he has a lot of experience with since falcons are his specialty.

"The medical condition affecting your collection was very obvious. Aflatoxicosis is a medical condition affecting amphibians, reptiles, birds and mammals worldwide. Insects fed mouldy grain and bedding, badly stored pellets, and grain maintained in silos for over a period of time under high humidity and temperature can all be responsible to decimate or to wipe out a collection of animals. As mentioned before, clinical signs and pathological findings at post mortem are none specific therefore the difficulty in confirming such diagnosis. I wish we had cultured the crickets soon after arrival to prove the point. You have to read about aspergillosis and aflatoxicosis as both are interrelated. Aspergillosis is a fungal disease transmitted to humans and animals by fungi of the genus Aspergillus. The fungi is transmitted by spores. After inhaled the spores form sporulating colonies similar tho those white/green round plaques forming on old bread and begin spreading within the body. Crickets reared in mouldy grain are covered with spores and some may be in the digestive system. Aflatoxins are potent toxins produced by fungi of the genus Aspergillus. Rearing crickets is very easy and does not have to be on grain. There are several alternatives you should explore."

"I qualified as a Veterinary Surgeon in August 1978 and have been working with wildlife, but in particular with falcon medicine, since January 1983. My exposure to wildlife medicine has been extensive and started with avian, but also with reptilian medicine. In the early years, I even used to use a little room as an office in the Reptile House at the London Zoo where I was exposed to husbandry, captive breeding and preventative medicine in amphibians and reptiles. Of course I do not have the experience other professionals may have on husbandry and medicine in herpetological medicine. I am fully aware of this, but in this particular case, the cause of morbidity and mortality was very obvious. We share many things with breeders and keepers and always tend to look for mysterious diseases that do not exist. Nutrition and nutritional managements, as one of the cardinal points of basic husbandry of any species in captivity, are very important considerations when confronting sickness and deaths among captive species."

--------------------------------------------------------

"Most of the pathological findings are similar and somehow inconclusive."
"In most of the reports I see clearly the evidence of a slow intoxication, which I could attribute to aflaxoxins. This is only my opinion. We also
have the evidence of poor quality crickets probably raised in mouldy grain."
---------------------------------------------------------

"I still firmly believe the food provided may have been directly responsible for the gradual intoxication of the specimens. Toxic changes are not specific and would be nearly impossible to implicate aflatoxins in the cases unless fungal cultures had revealed the presences of fungi from the genus Aspergillus in the crickets."

"I still do firmly believed the series of deaths and sickness as observed in your specimens may have all been related to a gradual and slow form of aflatoxicosis. It would have been easy to diagnose this by culturing the crickets directly onto plates and confirming my presumptive diagnosis."

"Aflatoxicosis is directly responsible for the death of many mammals, birds and reptiles around the world. I have seen domestic pigeons falling terminally ill within minutes after consuming highly contaminated feed. There are numerous reports on the toxic effect of aflatoxins in live animals and pathological findings associated with short term and long term exposure. Unfortunately, the pathological finding observed at post-mortem and histopathology examinations are nonspecific. This means that clinicians and pathologist do not fully understand the role aflatoxins may have played in the death of the specimens in question. This is all too common. The best way to diagnose the possible role of aflatoxicosis in the death of animals is to demonstrate the presence of the fungi in the food source. To be completely certain, you should have cultured the crickets (live and moribund) immediately after arrival, There is very little merit to obtain samples from the boxes as a couple of weeks or more have passed and any results will not reflect accurately the status of the crickets when they first arrived.

I would be very strongly recommend to review your feeding protocol including the type of food item, the source and your feeding practices. Variety is always to key to success in feeding any animal in captivity. Dubia is a good choice, but also try to source other insects.

I am glad you have seen an improvement in the affected chameleons after removing the crickets from the cages. This is a clear indication of the etiology of the illness and mortality. Most affected individuals will recover with assisted feeding and time."
-------------------------------------------------------------

"I am delighted to know the chameleons continue improving. This confirms that the cause of sickness and death of the various specimens is not longer a mystery. This is certainly a common problem and difficult to diagnose in the live animal. Only by reviewing the general husbandry and culturing the food items can this be diagnosed. I am somehow surprised the pathologists did not take this into consideration. My suggestions are, continue looking into different insect producing companies and be very selective. Crickets are the worse food item if raised on grains. We used to raise them on vegetables such as potatoes and lettuce with great success and never encountered any fungal issue. I do not have any doubt now that we were dealing with aflatoxicosis. Parasitism was just an incidental finding, but this should also be addressed by instituting am efficient deworming programme."
----------------------------------------------------------------

Back
Top Bottom