Advise on enclosure?

PoseidonTheChameleon

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I'm getting a 2 month old male veiled chameleon,also my first chameleon. I built this cage for him and wanted opinions from other keepers.

Attachments

• 20201011_181649.jpg
    20201011_181649.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 20201011_182802.jpg
    20201011_182802.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20201011_181701.jpg
    20201011_181701.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 77
It looks great! I love how many live plants upu added!
Although this is just my opinion. I think it’s too big for a two month old cham. If I were you I’d add more thinner branches and make sure none of them are unsafe for your cham to climb on as it can stumble and have the cham fall or hit something!
Just a suggestion, I really love it!

It looks great! I love how many live plants upu added!
Although this is just my opinion. I think it’s too big for a two month old cham. If I were you I’d add more thinner branches and make sure none of them are unsafe for your cham to climb on as it can stumble and have the cham fall or hit something!
Just a suggestion, I really love it!
Ok thank u so much, I've worked really hard to make sure he has everything he needs

Ok thank u so much, I've worked really hard to make sure he has everything he needs

I know the feeling! Maybe add small small branches, the width of a finger minimum tho, if your cham is going to be so young, make sure to have sticks/branches for him to move around without having to stretch out so much to step on another branch. I have my cham in a 60 x 30 glass/mesh enclosure until he grows. To tell you more or less how small chams are when they’re two months old, lemme tell you that I have some chopsticks as well as I have branches and a live plant, and he holds perfectly to all them!
When he becomes 5 months old I’m planning on moving him to a self made enclosure that will be 120 cm x 60 cm :)
4F088FF6-BF81-47D6-8248-97C858867ADF.jpeg

This is how tiny they tend to be when they’re two months old.

Attachments

• 3CEEF35E-A283-4F27-A01C-EBF9334C5C69.jpeg
    3CEEF35E-A283-4F27-A01C-EBF9334C5C69.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 15AB16E7-F38E-4C2C-8A3F-01AFAEC8923E.jpeg
    15AB16E7-F38E-4C2C-8A3F-01AFAEC8923E.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 65
I know the feeling! Maybe add small small branches, the width of a finger minimum tho, if your cham is going to be so young, make sure to have sticks/branches for him to move around without having to stretch out so much to step on another branch. I have my cham in a 60 x 30 glass/mesh enclosure until he grows. To tell you more or less how small chams are when they’re two months old, lemme tell you that I have some chopsticks as well as I have branches and a live plant, and he holds perfectly to all them!
When he becomes 5 months old I’m planning on moving him to a self made enclosure that will be 120 cm x 60 cm :)View attachment 279650
This is how tiny they tend to be when they’re two months old.
Omg he's so cute! Thank u for the advise

Fill this out so we can make sure everything is good for him when he comes home!!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Although this is just my opinion. I think it’s too big for a two month old cham
There's never such thing as too big ?
I’d add more thinner branches and make sure none of them are unsafe for your cham to climb on as it can stumble and have the cham fall or hit something!
They have great grip, look at the size of the branch Pablo was sleeping on... vertically!

20260E6B-0543-49C9-BA3D-E42F85C4E21B.jpeg

There's never such thing as too big ?

They have great grip, look at the size of the branch Pablo was sleeping on... vertically!

I think I’m getting overprotective on my cham so I’m waiting a bit to move him to a bigger enclosure hehe :,))
Pablo is adorable, btw! I’m aware of their grip but I’m just bein’ like that typical “just in case” yk?

I think I’m getting overprotective on my cham so I’m waiting a bit to move him to a bigger enclosure hehe :,))
Pablo is adorable, btw! I’m aware of their grip but I’m just bein’ like that typical “just in case” yk?
Yeah I get you.. I did the same. I put a 24x24x24 table in my enclosure to split it in half when Pablo was young ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Yeah I get you.. I did the same. I put a 24x24x24 table in my enclosure to split it in half when Pablo was young ?‍♂️?‍♂️
Awwww!
I’m even doing some designs and taking inspiration to make a cool cage with cool deco and necessary stuff he’ll need.
I wanna add some figures at the bottom, maybe a muyai head ? or a buddha?

Awwww!
I’m even doing some designs and taking inspiration to make a cool cage with cool deco and necessary stuff he’ll need.
I wanna add some figures at the bottom, maybe a muyai head ? or a buddha?
ive seen a few people that have put a buddha in their enclosure. I try to make it a realistic to the cham as possible. The space used for a figure could be spaced used for more sticks and plants IMO. Some enclosures come out really nice looking though with some figures.

ive seen a few people that have put a buddha in their enclosure. I try to make it a realistic to the cham as possible. The space used for a figure could be spaced used for more sticks and plants IMO. Some enclosures come out really nice looking though with some figures.

Yeah! And I doubt the figure can cause any harm if I just place it at the bottom. I’ll still fill my cage with branches and I’m already looking for some big live plants. I wanna do something cool yet comfy for my cham!

Yeah! And I doubt the figure can cause any harm if I just place it at the bottom. I’ll still fill my cage with branches and I’m already looking for some big live plants. I wanna do something cool yet comfy for my cham!
It can definity still be a amazing enclosure. If you do decide to post in on the forums so we can see it.

Fill this out so we can make sure everything is good for him when he comes home!!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 2 month old male veiled, haven't gotten him yet.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Maybe once a week after hes settled in.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I'm going to feed him crickets and black soldier flies until I can feed him bigger bugs as much as he will eat in abt 15 mins in the morning. Gutloading with different veggies safe for chameleons.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium without d3 everyday, calcium with d3 last day of the week and multi vitamin twice a month.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I will be hand misting his cage 2 to 3 times a day for 1 to 2 minutes each.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Dont have him yet to answer.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I will be getting him from FLchams.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? DIY cage 4½ x 2x2 all screen
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun t5 5.0
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking will be abt 85 other parts abt 75 measured with digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? It will be kept at abt 50% using diginal hygrometer
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Monstera deliciosa and pothos
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Its 4ft inside with 2 ft legs so its higher up then me standing there, it's in a bedroom that will be kept quiet under light fan but shouldn't affect it.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Central Florida
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Advise on enclosure

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 2 month old male veiled, haven't gotten him yet.
Where are you getting him from? Usually they go to new homes at 3-4 months old.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Maybe once a week after hes settled in.
First you want to establish trust. He will most likely not just come out. Start with hand feeding and then slowly start luring him onto your arm.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I'm going to feed him crickets and black soldier flies until I can feed him bigger bugs as much as he will eat in abt 15 mins in the morning. Gutloading with different veggies safe for chameleons.
He can have small crickets as well.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Calcium without d3 everyday, calcium with d3 last day of the week and multi vitamin twice a month.
Calcium with D3 and Multivitiam are both twice a month. Alternating week to week.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I will be hand misting his cage 2 to 3 times a day for 1 to 2 minutes each.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Dont have him yet to answer.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I will be getting him from FLchams.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? DIY cage 4½ x 2x2 all screen
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun t5 5.0
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking will be abt 85 other parts abt 75 measured with digital thermometer.
Little to warm for baby. Bring it down to around 82.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? It will be kept at abt 50% using diginal hygrometer
25-50% is ideal.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Monstera deliciosa and pothos
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Its 4ft inside with 2 ft legs so its higher up then me standing there, it's in a bedroom that will be kept quiet under light fan but shouldn't affect it.
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Advise on enclosure

--------------

Please Note:

Where are you getting him from? Usually they go to new homes at 3-4 months old.
First you want to establish trust. He will most likely not just come out. Start with hand feeding and then slowly start luring him onto your arm.
He can have small crickets as well.
Calcium with D3 and Multivitiam are both twice a month. Alternating week to week.
Cage Info:
Little to warm for baby. Bring it down to around 82.
25-50% is ideal.

--------------

Please Note:
Thank u for all the info and I'm getting him from FLchams

Back
Top Bottom