Advice Please!

haha yeah i know. i would just hate to think there might be anything wrong with him. he's really dear to me :) thanks for the reassurance.

No problem. any questions, just postem here. or you are welcom to Pm me. I get off an on throughout the day (this is my break from graduate school studying).
i know the feeling of being the overly concerned heli parent. hehe, i did the same thing when I got kink, who is know a sizable, tempermental, 8 month old veiled.

Colours?

hey all. been away a while, but ive been noticing something over the last few days, and was wondering if anyone else can see it, or if im just getting "chameleon vision" ;)

im SURE i can see some colour developing on Pedro, he has a green stripe on his casque that hasnt been there long, and just over the last few days, i can make out some very faint rusty orange vertical stripes on his abdomen and arms. can anyone else see this? is this likley a hint at his adult colouring? like i said its very faint, but im sure it IS there.. just look REAL close :p oh and ignore his wrinkled skin.. he's due to shed again any day now :)

oh, also, he hissed at me today :O he's never done that before and i didnt think he would. my mum came down after not seeing her for ages, and i wanted to take him out to show her. i put my hand in his tank and he flat out hissed! he calmed down when i got him out though. i never realised they could be so scary! absoloutley shit myself! anyway.. on with the pics.

Photo0282.jpg Photo0283.jpg

ok. i KNOW im not seeing things now. he is definatley starting to colour up.. its so exciting! its honestly making me really happy just to see his adult colours come through. looks like he'll be a pretty boy too. i took another pic, which is a lil blurry as i had to take it one handed (macro mode hates movement yo), but its still visible. im thinking i might be seeing it so clearly now as opposed to last night because he actually did start shedding last night, finishing his tail off this morning.

oh, and we finally had some sun here after like a week of solid rain! i went outside myself and the sun felt really warm, so i took pedro out to get some lovley natural sunshine. i know this wont come as a surprise to anyone on here, but he LOVED it, i mean i knew ( or hoped at least ) that he would like it, but i didnt realise how much he'd like it. ive heard the phrase "lit up like a christmas tree" being thrwon around in these situations, and i couldnt agree more, the interesting thing was also the dual colouration ive read about. that is to say, when a cham colours one side (the sunny side) very dark to absorb UVB and heat, and leaves the other side plain. crazy mad skills. didnt get a pic of him outside as i was on my way to work, but im sure you guys can believe how much he loved it. only downside is that he better make the most of it. UK weather sucks so hard...oh well, at least he got some before the year is out :)

Photo0285.jpg

Last edited:
hmm. im a little concerned about something, and wanted to get some advice. over the last 2 days ive noticed pedro coughing/sneezing a few times, eyes are clear, no nasal discharge, and no wheezing while breathing, just a little twitch accompanied by a puff of air. ive only actually SEEN him do it twice, but i guess he must be doing it a fair bit for me to catch it twice in two days. is this serious? as in, should he see a vet? he seems fine otherwise, still eating and stuff. is it possible he could just have a lil bug that he'll get over on his own? just dont want to take any chances, but also dont want to stress him out with a trip to the vet if it isnt needed..

Will my veiled was doing the same thing and he just went through his shed this weekend. I originally thought URI but now I am second guessing myself and starting to think that this might be part of the shedding process??? I can't find a reference material that describe this behavior though so I am not convinced yet. Still going to watch and listen. In the mean time I also started a 10 day regimen of reptaid. To be on the safe side.

PS my guy is popping into his adult colors too. It is so cool. I will post a pic tomorrow when he has finalized his shed. :)

hmm. im a little concerned about something, and wanted to get some advice. over the last 2 days ive noticed pedro coughing/sneezing a few times, eyes are clear, no nasal discharge, and no wheezing while breathing, just a little twitch accompanied by a puff of air. ive only actually SEEN him do it twice, but i guess he must be doing it a fair bit for me to catch it twice in two days. is this serious? as in, should he see a vet? he seems fine otherwise, still eating and stuff. is it possible he could just have a lil bug that he'll get over on his own? just dont want to take any chances, but also dont want to stress him out with a trip to the vet if it isnt needed..

Unfortunately, Pedro could be developing an URI due to the lack of ventilation in his enclosure. I also tried to keep my male veiled in a glass enclosure that had air vents at the bottom and a mesh top that the pet store said would be fine but guess what? It wasn't. He started to cough and I asked people on this forum what it could be and they told me to get him out of there and into a full screen enclosure. I know there are keepers who house chams in glass but obviously this setup doesn't work for every cham. I also live somewhere that gets very cold in winter and I don't have any heating but since I moved my cham into his screen mesh terrarium, he has been thriving. I read that you live in the UK and I know it is cold most of the year but don't you have central heating to warm up your house?

Unfortunately, Pedro could be developing an URI due to the lack of ventilation in his enclosure. I also tried to keep my male veiled in a glass enclosure that had air vents at the bottom and a mesh top that the pet store said would be fine but guess what? It wasn't. He started to cough and I asked people on this forum what it could be and they told me to get him out of there and into a full screen enclosure. I know there are keepers who house chams in glass but obviously this setup doesn't work for every cham. I also live somewhere that gets very cold in winter and I don't have any heating but since I moved my cham into his screen mesh terrarium, he has been thriving. I read that you live in the UK and I know it is cold most of the year but don't you have central heating to warm up your house?
nope.. no central heating, we only have heating on the bottom floor, i live in an old fishermans cottage that was revonvated and extended, they just never bothered putting more radiators in. and also, a URI? you sure? even though ive already said he's not showing ANY other sypmtoms whatsoever? btw the ventilation is not always a factor for a URI, its bacteria, as in, if your enclosure is ALWAYS wet, which CAN be down to bad ventilation, then the water will stagnate and allow bacteria to breed. pedro never has any standing water, when he's mistedit goes from 70% RH back to about 30% in no time, and his dripper (the only other water source) is cleaned and disinfected once a week. i appreciate your input and ill keep my eye out!

Will my veiled was doing the same thing and he just went through his shed this weekend. I originally thought URI but now I am second guessing myself and starting to think that this might be part of the shedding process??? I can't find a reference material that describe this behavior though so I am not convinced yet. Still going to watch and listen. In the mean time I also started a 10 day regimen of reptaid. To be on the safe side.
hmm. interesting.. i hadnt noticed it before he started this shed cycle. think it might be worth getting some reptaid anyway? just in case?

PS my guy is popping into his adult colors too. It is so cool. I will post a pic tomorrow when he has finalized his shed. :)

yay! please do.. i cant believe how exciting it is to watch them pop right in front of you! i have a horrible feeling that im going to get addicted to this -_-

Hi
just thought i would drop in on this thread,
I am also in the UK and have managed very well with a screen cage and have managed to keep the temp in a good range and my UV is a 5.0 and on the outside of the cage as is the heat bulb/dome. Never really come across any problems from friends or experts that i have spoken to about cold being a factor to using a wooden box instead of a screened cage!
Your cam looks good and have loved seeing the difference in pictures throughout your post :)
Just a thought but after reading the last couple of posts regarding sneezing, i believe that bacteria from stagnant water is a cause for RTI but also stagnant air which is a hazard caused by lack of ventilation.
Happy chaming

Hi
just thought i would drop in on this thread,
I am also in the UK and have managed very well with a screen cage and have managed to keep the temp in a good range and my UV is a 5.0 and on the outside of the cage as is the heat bulb/dome. Never really come across any problems from friends or experts that i have spoken to about cold being a factor to using a wooden box instead of a screened cage!
Your cam looks good and have loved seeing the difference in pictures throughout your post :)
Just a thought but after reading the last couple of posts regarding sneezing, i believe that bacteria from stagnant water is a cause for RTI but also stagnant air which is a hazard caused by lack of ventilation.
Happy chaming

hi, and thanks for dropping by, i guess i shoud have clarified a little in the beginning of my thread, the reason he's not in a screen enclosure is because its cold here, and i also have NO CENTRAL HEATING. the average temp in my house is like 18C, i was told veileds like to have it around 40, so theres no way of getting those kind of temps with a screen enclosure for me :( and btw, im not sure if you couldnt think of the right word, but its not a "wooden box", its actually a vivarium that was designed specfically with arboreal reptiles in mind. tbh the ventilations pretty good in there, theres ALOT of vents on the back wall, all the way from top to bottom, so i really hope he hasnt developed a URTI, as that means ill have to change things again. on the other hand, he seems ok today, a bit lazy when i took him outside, but it is a little chilly i guess.

Back
Top Bottom