advice please

unbreakable

i recently posted a topic about a chameleon that i was sold with uri, after veterinary treatment and a few days worth of antibiotic drops it appears to be clearing up nicely. Now im having another problem, the chameleon "a panther female" has not eaten for what must be 4 or 5 days! there was faeces in her cage two days ago though. I have offered crickets and hoppers and she shows no interest, she has also gone a very dark colour which i assume is stress related, can anyone offer any advise as to what i should be doing in this scenario? many thanks

Ryan

Check and double the enviroment/cage, temps humidity etc, eliminate anything like that as the source of stress. If its not that, make sure nothing in the room is stressing it, like other pets, people etc.

*Ensure its drinking, especially since its recent uri, You need to actually observe it, never assume. Perhaps a dripper setup, more mistings in the mornings early, this is when wild chams would tend to make use of dew on plants.

Ring thevet that prescribed the antibiotics, explain whats happening and ask about possible effectsof the drug/s, and about recovery care.

Best wishes

p.s please describe the poop? Yes im serious LOl was the white part yellow or orange colored, was the brown part dry? was there undigested insect parts in it?
poop can tell you alot about the condition of a reptiles, digestive and urinary process.

For instance, lack of sufficient hydration can play havoc with a reptiles ability to digest food, can be damaging to kidneys/renal system over time. Insufficient hydration can also lead to impaction/constipation.

pps what are hoppers?

Last edited:
thank you for your very helpful and imformative reply! i have just watched the young lady eat a cricket and drink plenty of water, i am very relieved. I think perhaps the vet trip has been a very traumatic experience as she has been almost black since visiting around 5 days ago, i took the initiative to put her in a large well planted exo terra viv, and i have covered the front, this can be her makeshift home until i am convinced she is better. Again thank you very much for your help.

i was told by my not very reputable dealer that she is a year old, there is a large plant pot in her viv, so any signs of her digging or hanging around near the bottom i will take action, i dont believe her to be gravid but then she is my first female panther.

contact that breeder

let him know what is going on and see what he says. you dont want to get a bum deal and end up with an animal that shouldnt have been sold

the dealer has given up the hobby, think he was struggling, i was also owed this for 6months, not ideal being given this cham by a long shot i know.

Back
Top Bottom