Advice please :)

daniellamartinez

Hi everyone, this is Paprika. I adopted her from the vet’s about two years ago, and she’s blind in both eyes :( According to the vet, her original owners didn’t know how to take care of her. And while trying to feed her, a bunch of crickets attacked one eye. Originally she only had one bad eye, but the other one shut down about a couple months ago so she’s completely blind. A couple of months after I adopted her, she started getting this growth in between her eyes from the cricket attack. The vet tried to drain it, but it never really went away. The vet gave me some antibiotics to give to her for the bacteria too, but it didn’t help either. I haven’t taken her back to the vet’s in a while because nothing was helping. She’s doing fine right now, but now that she’s completely blind, I have to hand feed her. She doesn’t really know what’s going on. I also have to give her water. Oh and she hasn’t layed eggs at all! Do you guys recommend anything in general? I just feel so bad for her, I’m doing the best I can.

Attachments

• E3F7425A-E51B-4D55-96D3-B3E880A1457A.jpeg
    E3F7425A-E51B-4D55-96D3-B3E880A1457A.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
Hi everyone, this is Paprika. I adopted her from the vet’s about two years ago, and she’s blind in both eyes :( According to the vet, her original owners didn’t know how to take care of her. And while trying to feed her, a bunch of crickets attacked one eye. Originally she only had one bad eye, but the other one shut down about a couple months ago so she’s completely blind. A couple of months after I adopted her, she started getting this growth in between her eyes from the cricket attack. The vet tried to drain it, but it never really went away. The vet gave me some antibiotics to give to her for the bacteria too, but it didn’t help either. I haven’t taken her back to the vet’s in a while because nothing was helping. She’s doing fine right now, but now that she’s completely blind, I have to hand feed her. She doesn’t really know what’s going on. I also have to give her water. Oh and she hasn’t layed eggs at all! Do you guys recommend anything in general? I just feel so bad for her, I’m doing the best I can.

It is fitting that today is Easter.
I have no advice for you but I have to say, you are indeed a very special angel.
Keep the faith you have in your ability to care for and enjoy her.

Wow this is so sad, i couldn’t even imagine what its like for that poor cham. As for recommendations i really dont know what to say, im curious on how you are feeding her is it hard?
I have to open her mouth most of the time, very gently. Sometimes if I tap a worm on the front of her nose she’ll open and eat!

You sure you have a female? Check the rear feet for Spurs on the heel. If they are there, you have a male which explains the lack of eggs. If you have a female, she would've succumbed to egg binding after 2 years.

This is really totally up to u since ur cham has both blind eyes...time consuming is the problem u have at this point...if this was a wild cham..it probably has a very hard time to survive..if you accepting the responsibility by keeping him..I dont see any other way out but continue to nurture him the way like u doing now...other than that not being able to keep itself alive on its own I would euthanize it as humanely as possible.since there are no way around to feed and gives water to the chameleon without you spending ur own valuable time and trying to keep him alive.
The choice will be totally up to you,as long you are agreeing to do it ..follow ur heart n Dont let my suggestion to change ur decision unless u find it suitable with your situation.

This is so sad. Thank God for people like you willing to care for this girl. I always hope that I would do this, but at the same time I dont know if that's what's right for the animal. Poor girl.

Back
Top Bottom