Advice on keeping a female Panther Chameleon

JamesEB

Hi everyone, I'm adopting a six-month-old sambava female panther, and I wondered if the good people of the Chameleon forum could give me some advice. She has everything she needs setup wise. I'm more concerned with notable differences in care from, say, Jackson's chameleon care. This is my first panther you see. What do I need to watch out for?

PS: I don't have photos just yet.

With female Panther chameleons, you need to be aware that they lay eggs without having been mated and you will want to control the size of the clutch so she doesn't have reproductive issues and other health issues.

As she approaches maturity, you will want to control her diet and the basking temperatures in the cage to keep the clutch size reasonable. You still want to make sure that you dust the insects properly and feed/gutload them well and provide proper UVB.

I haven't tried to stop reproduction in Panther chameleons but I have slowed it down. I was satisfied with that so I didn't go further.

You will want to cut the number of feeders to 4 or 5 crickets or equal value in other insects per feeding and feed 2 or 3 times a week only.
You will want to keep he basking temperatures at 80F for her.

With female Panther chameleons, you need to be aware that they lay eggs without having been mated and you will want to control the size of the clutch so she doesn't have reproductive issues and other health issues.

As she approaches maturity, you will want to control her diet and the basking temperatures in the cage to keep the clutch size reasonable. You still want to make sure that you dust the insects properly and feed/gutload them well and provide proper UVB.

I haven't tried to stop reproduction in Panther chameleons but I have slowed it down. I was satisfied with that so I didn't go further.

You will want to cut the number of feeders to 4 or 5 crickets or equal value in other insects per feeding and feed 2 or 3 times a week only.
You will want to keep he basking temperatures at 80F for her.

Thank you for the advice; I've been told she's six months and pretty big already. At what age should I start doing this? Right away? Also, I have arcadia EarthPro-A (the one without D3), RevitaliseD3 (with D3), and bee pollen for sups along with the proper uvb.

Can you post a photo of her from today please.

She was born in April.

IMG_3537 (1).jpg

She is such a cutie! As @kinyonga mentioned, feeding her every other day is a good start for now, and as she matures, around the 6-7 month range, feeding 3 times a week. Keeping female's feeding schedules is crucial to healthy egg-laying processes, and keeping them a healthy weight.

Back
Top Bottom