Advice on if/when to attempt to breed quads

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have three pairs of unrelated wc quad quads from the December and February shipments. I am lending one of my adult males to another breeder. My plan is to ship him off next week.

The male I will be lending is the one that I think has the hardest time with captivity. I bought him the end of January and he weighed 61g. His latest weight was 78g. He has always been on the lean side, at times thin. Parasites (giardia is the one I'm most worried about) have been a big issue, but he has had five treatments of multiple days in a row. The vet believes getting him parasite free will be a long-term project. My plan was to have him test clean before I sent him but I'm not sure if that is at all possible. The breeder is aware of all this. I want to ship him before the hot summer weather and we have never-ending rain in the forecast. I think he should go now. I'll take in a fecal today and worm him for 5-days in a row even if the fecal comes back clear. I'll ship him next week. That's my plan.

With the surprise breeding of my 51g baby girl (21g at purchase Feb.26) to my 41g, 9 3/4" baby male she was housed with (13g Feb. 26), I decided to try to get a breeding with the male I am shipping.

I introduced my biggest female, now 56g. She was a 12g baby when I bought her Feb. 5. He was not happy to have her in his cage turning black and basically fleeing. She stayed green, sometimes darkening, and showing some red on her sides that I had never seen before.

This is the first time I've introduced a male and female--I'm a complete novice at this game.

I pulled her out of his cage after an hour and reintroduced her later in the afternoon. Same result. She often perched out in the open a little puffed up. Always green.

Yesterday I did the same thing. I put her in his cage for a few hours in the morning and again in the afternoon, giving him a break from the stress of her presence. He took longer to go black and didn't feel the need to flee her. She went to his corner but lower in the bush. They ended up being a few inches apart. He was more inclined to actually watch her rather than panic.

I got the impression she is receptive, but again, I have zero experience. In Thoroughbred breeding, we use a teaser stallion to tease the mare to see how receptive she is. I decided to put her in another adult male's cage just to see, first, if my panicking male's response was normal and, second, if she might be receptive.

She stayed green, he immediately colored up and bobbed and then moved in to breed her in less than a minute. I pulled her out.

Here's my dilemma. Do I breed her to the male that is quite eager to breed?

Do I persist in trying to get a breeding from the male that I am shipping off? (I really don't expect him to come home until the cooler fall weather.) The breeder he is going to has given me lots of tips to get him comfortable in her presence.

My biggest fear is that I'll stress the heck out of him trying to get a breeding, worming him five days in a row, and then shipping him off next week.

Complicating everything is that the eager male has had (and maybe still has) an abscess in his pelvis area so who knows the condition of his sperm. This is the male I've had all the issues with--two abscesses around his pelvis (or maybe one huge one) that have never drained, a skin infection all over his body, abscesses at the tips of his dorsal crest of which one was just lanced and drained in the last week or two, plus the same parasite load of giardia, etc., etc. At one point, he was so sick, he was just limp in the vet's hands. This boy is a survivor! He deserves to pass on his genes, plus he and the female are both very calm and the best eaters. This male, with all his health problems, came to me at 36g in December and now weighs 91g.

I'm torn on what to do. And I'm especially worried about stressing the one shipping.

I would really appreciate experienced breeder's thoughts. Thanks.
 
Top Bottom