Advice Needed!

Yes that’s it and it’s the one my Cham has. I used garden lattice in the sides of mine to have something to anchor my branches to. It works well and when you criss cross the branches it gives you spots to put in small potted plants like pothos and others.

Attachments

• 2FF75C24-E345-4E75-8A90-0AE438B79443.jpeg
    2FF75C24-E345-4E75-8A90-0AE438B79443.jpeg
    283.7 KB · Views: 94
  • BCE78AD9-663A-484D-9F4A-E45100E21248.jpeg
    BCE78AD9-663A-484D-9F4A-E45100E21248.jpeg
    318.4 KB · Views: 98
I can't thank you all enough. In the meantime though, should I make a makeshift kinda of small-ish laying bin for het enclosure now until I can get the larger one? If so, would a box with 9.5inx7.5inx11in be decent enough? I know it's much smaller than the minimum recommendation, but unfortunately it's the best I can do for now given her current enclosure.

Yes that’s it and it’s the one my Cham has. I used garden lattice in the sides of mine to have something to anchor my branches to. It works well and when you criss cross the branches it gives you spots to put in small potted plants like pothos and others.
Your enclosure is so cool! What kind of live plants do you have in it?

Thank you. I have a big ficus benjamina, two umbrella plants, one bigger than the other and three pothos plant, two on the sides and one in the bottom that has long vines that I set up in the branches.

Here's a helpful lay bin chart, along with a great plant list (choose from the veiled-test ones only)!
https://chameleonacademy.com/plants/ (make sure to properly clean the plants beforehand, along with repotting them in organic soil without any chemical fertilizers and putting rocks too big for her to eat over the soil)

Attachments

• 42F4F72A-AE9E-4D6D-AD10-82D1097BF5BE.jpeg
    42F4F72A-AE9E-4D6D-AD10-82D1097BF5BE.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 92
Hello! Right, how silly of me not to include what kind of Cham she is. Her name is Delores and she is a veiled chameleon :)
Sorry for long response; I had to go to work right after I posted this.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled cham, approx. 2 years old(?) According to previous owners, I've had her for four days
Handling - I only handle her when I feed her, plus when i cleaned out her cage, so maybe in avg three times a week
Feeding - I feed her mealworms, 4-5, every other day, and I dust them in calcium supplements, plus I have calc+D3 supplements as well
Supplements - I use rep cal calcium supplements. I use the regular cal supps whenever I've fed her so far, and I've been told to feed her with the d3 supps every other week
Watering - I use a leaf dripper, and I must for about two or three minutes at a time l. I've seen her drink some droplets a couple times
Fecal Description - her fecal matter is consistently brown with some white spots, which I assume the white is urine
History - I have next to no other information about her, sadly.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen, 16x16x30
Lighting - zoo med uvb lights plus zoo med heating lamps
Temperature - 87-72 top to bottom avg during the day, and about 65-70 general temp at night. I use a humidity/temp gage, plus a thermometer hanging on the inside of the enclosure, as well as a handheld thermometer
Humidity - 50-80, I use my humidifier and i mist regularly. I use a humidity gauge
Plants - yes, one live plant. Lucky bamboo plant
Placement - my enclosure is on the floor next to my bed. No air vents directly above, but I do have a ceiling fan in the middle of my ceiling. The top of the enclosure is approx. 32 inches from the floor
Location - Minden, Nevada, USA

Ok so this will be a ton of feedback... See all my info in bold. Looking over the pictures. It does not look like she has actual branches to grip. Think tree for her. The bridge things do not work for them.

Hello! Right, how silly of me not to include what kind of Cham she is. Her name is Delores and she is a veiled chameleon :)

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled cham, approx. 2 years old(?) According to previous owners, I've had her for four days Did they tell you when she last laid eggs? If not you need to find out when and how many times, also how many eggs she laid. Along with if there were any complications.
Handling - I only handle her when I feed her, plus when i cleaned out her cage, so maybe in avg three times a week
Feeding - I feed her mealworms, 4-5, every other day, and I dust them in calcium supplements, plus I have calc+D3 supplements as well... mealworms are a no go. Not enough nutrition for her. You were given the feeder and gutload image above. Now you will want to feed her 3 feeders 3 days a week only. You also want to get another supplement. Your missing a multivitamin. You could buy reptivite without D3. You would rotate this one with the calcium with D3 week to week at one feeding only so that each are given 2 times a month. Then you will use the calcium without D3 at the other feedings.
Supplements - I use rep cal calcium supplements. I use the regular cal supps whenever I've fed her so far, and I've been told to feed her with the d3 supps every other week See info above.
Watering - I use a leaf dripper, and I must for about two or three minutes at a time l. I've seen her drink some droplets a couple times... Leaf dripper? Is this that automated dripper that comes out on the fake leaves? If so pull it. Get a solo plastic cup. Put tiny pin holes in the bottom of it then put ice cubes in it for a slow drip or water for a faster drip. This needs to be positioned on top of the cage dripping on plants below. You should be misting the cage morning and evening 2-4 minutes each time.
Fecal Description - her fecal matter is consistently brown with some white spots, which I assume the white is urine yep

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen, 16x16x30 This is not large enough... Needs to be upgraded to a 2x2x4ft enclosure.
Lighting - zoo med uvb lights plus zoo med heating lamps. I am not seeing the long linear light fixture. Only the double dome fixture. If this is the cage you have to buy a T5ho fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb. The fixture would sit on top and you need 8-9 inches to the branch below it. The compact screw in bulbs cause them to develop MBD. you want to buy this and the bulb needs to be replaced every 6 months. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-...d=1630163084&sprefix=reptisun+,aps,236&sr=8-5
Temperature - 87-72 top to bottom avg during the day, and about 65-70 general temp at night. I use a humidity/temp gage, plus a thermometer hanging on the inside of the enclosure, as well as a handheld thermometer Too hot at basking you want it 78-80 max....
Humidity - 50-80, I use my humidifier and i mist regularly. I use a humidity gauge too high needs to be 30-50% max... Pull the humidifier. These should never be used during the day. They can only be used at night when temps are below 67 or lower. Otherwise their is a high risk for a respiratory infection.
Plants - yes, one live plant. Lucky bamboo plant You will want to pull all fake plants. Veileds eat their plants so it becomes dangerous for them. Choose plants from this link that say veiled tested. then put 1 inch or larger rocks on top of the soil. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Chameleon-Plants-061321.pdf
Placement - my enclosure is on the floor next to my bed. No air vents directly above, but I do have a ceiling fan in the middle of my ceiling. The top of the enclosure is approx. 32 inches from the floor

As said you will need a lay bin as well. temps and food must be spot on to control the amount of eggs she lays.

Ok so this will be a ton of feedback... See all my info in bold. Looking over the pictures. It does not look like she has actual branches to grip. Think tree for her. The bridge things do not work for them.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled cham, approx. 2 years old(?) According to previous owners, I've had her for four days Did they tell you when she last laid eggs? If not you need to find out when and how many times, also how many eggs she laid. Along with if there were any complications.
Feeding - I feed her mealworms, 4-5, every other day, and I dust them in calcium supplements, plus I have calc+D3 supplements as well... mealworms are a no go. Not enough nutrition for her. You were given the feeder and gutload image above. Now you will want to feed her 3 feeders 3 days a week only. You also want to get another supplement. Your missing a multivitamin. You could buy reptivite without D3. You would rotate this one with the calcium with D3 week to week at one feeding only so that each are given 2 times a month. Then you will use the calcium without D3 at the other feedings.
Supplements - I use rep cal calcium supplements. I use the regular cal supps whenever I've fed her so far, and I've been told to feed her with the d3 supps every other week See info above.
Watering - I use a leaf dripper, and I must for about two or three minutes at a time l. I've seen her drink some droplets a couple times... Leaf dripper? Is this that automated dripper that comes out on the fake leaves? If so pull it. Get a solo plastic cup. Put tiny pin holes in the bottom of it then put ice cubes in it for a slow drip or water for a faster drip. This needs to be positioned on top of the cage dripping on plants below. You should be misting the cage morning and evening 2-4 minutes each time.
Fecal Description - her fecal matter is consistently brown with some white spots, which I assume the white is urine yep

Cage Info:
Cage Type - screen, 16x16x30 This is not large enough... Needs to be upgraded to a 2x2x4ft enclosure.
Lighting - zoo med uvb lights plus zoo med heating lamps. I am not seeing the long linear light fixture. Only the double dome fixture. If this is the cage you have to buy a T5ho fixture with a 5.0 UVB bulb. The fixture would sit on top and you need 8-9 inches to the branch below it. The compact screw in bulbs cause them to develop MBD. you want to buy this and the bulb needs to be replaced every 6 months. https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-T5-Ho-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00CX5HXI2/ref=sr_1_5?crid=17MAQSLQREHDT&dchild=1&keywords=reptisun+t5+ho+terrarium+hood&qid=1630163084&sprefix=reptisun+,aps,236&sr=8-5
Temperature - 87-72 top to bottom avg during the day, and about 65-70 general temp at night. I use a humidity/temp gage, plus a thermometer hanging on the inside of the enclosure, as well as a handheld thermometer Too hot at basking you want it 78-80 max....
Humidity - 50-80, I use my humidifier and i mist regularly. I use a humidity gauge too high needs to be 30-50% max... Pull the humidifier. These should never be used during the day. They can only be used at night when temps are below 67 or lower. Otherwise their is a high risk for a respiratory infection.
Plants - yes, one live plant. Lucky bamboo plant You will want to pull all fake plants. Veileds eat their plants so it becomes dangerous for them. Choose plants from this link that say veiled tested. then put 1 inch or larger rocks on top of the soil. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Chameleon-Plants-061321.pdf

As said you will need a lay bin as well. temps and food must be spot on to control the amount of eggs she lays.
Absolutely. All this plus what others have said have already been taken into consideration and I'm already on top of things to get all this stuff for her. Im setting up a temporary lay bin for her small enclosure today after work, as well as getting new feeders and supplements. And I'm going to head over to my local pet stores to see if they have good 2x2x4 enclosures tomorrow, and if they do I'm getting them immediately. But if not, I'll order on online. I've also done a bunch of reading on live plants with the sources people here have given me and I've began planning a layout for a proper enclosure for her that includes more actual branches and trees and whatnots.

Thank you so much for the help, I'm trying very hard to take good care of her and all this information is EXTREMELY helpful. I couldn't be more grateful

Absolutely. All this plus what others have said have already been taken into consideration and I'm already on top of things to get all this stuff for her. Im setting up a temporary lay bin for her small enclosure today after work, as well as getting new feeders and supplements. And I'm going to head over to my local pet stores to see if they have good 2x2x4 enclosures tomorrow, and if they do I'm getting them immediately. But if not, I'll order on online. I've also done a bunch of reading on live plants with the sources people here have given me and I've began planning a layout for a proper enclosure for her that includes more actual branches and trees and whatnots.

Thank you so much for the help, I'm trying very hard to take good care of her and all this information is EXTREMELY helpful. I couldn't be more grateful
Wonderful... Do ask your friend that you got her from about her history with laying eggs. This will be important for you to know moving forward especially if she has had large clutches prior.

Oh right, so, when I asked she said that she laidabout 25 eggs when they had her about two months ago. Keep in mind, they also only had her for two months, as THEY had also inherited her from someone. Except they didn't do any research about chameleon care. Anyways, she had about 25 eggs, and this was the only time she had laid eggs before but the thing that concerns me is that she didn't have a lay bin.

Oh right, so, when I asked she said that she laidabout 25 eggs when they had her about two months ago. Keep in mind, they also only had her for two months, as THEY had also inherited her from someone. Except they didn't do any research about chameleon care. Anyways, she had about 25 eggs, and this was the only time she had laid eggs before but the thing that concerns me is that she didn't have a lay bin.
So that is not bad but your going to hope for smaller clutches with reduced feeding amounts and temps.

Alright, thanks. So, like you said, reducing her feeds and also reducing the temperatures of her enclosure will help with that? Also, when it comes to soil for the laybin, should I be looking for a specific type? Or just any soil with no pesticides or rocks

Alright, thanks. So, like you said, reducing her feeds and also reducing the temperatures of her enclosure will help with that? Also, when it comes to soil for the laybin, should I be looking for a specific type? Or just any soil with no pesticides or rocks
Yes, exactly. Most do washed playsand for their laybins.

Washed playsand. Got it. When I set up her bin I'm going to watch a bunch of videos in how to properly do it as well, but I'm wondering, should I put anything on top of the bin? Like if I wanted to have a decent sized centerpiece in the middle of her enclosure to act as a tree of sorts? Or should I build around the laybin and make sure nothing is sitting on top of it

Washed playsand. Got it. When I set up her bin I'm going to watch a bunch of videos in how to properly do it as well, but I'm wondering, should I put anything on top of the bin? Like if I wanted to have a decent sized centerpiece in the middle of her enclosure to act as a tree of sorts? Or should I build around the laybin and make sure nothing is sitting on top of it
Most build around the lay bin... But make it so they can easily pull it out to get to eggs or if it needs more water added to it. It will dry out, the idea is to keep it so that it holds a tunnel but not sopping wet.

Back
Top Bottom