Advice needed

alekovenk

I got a veiled chameleon yesterday and I'm worried about him. At least I think its a male. He hasn't eaten anything since I got him and he's been at the top corner of his terrarium since yesterday. He also turned grey ish black, and I'm wondering what to do. I've read that its probably stress related but im not sure. I also have some questions about handling, like what age its okay to start handling and for how long. He is 3-4 months old. I also want to add some more plants to the terrarium for him. Preferably something that I would be able to put at the top.

Attachments

• IMG_1162.JPG
    IMG_1162.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 119
I got a veiled chameleon yesterday and I'm worried about him. At least I think its a male. He hasn't eaten anything since I got him and he's been at the top corner of his terrarium since yesterday. He also turned grey ish black, and I'm wondering what to do. I've read that its probably stress related but im not sure. I also have some questions about handling, like what age its okay to start handling and for how long. He is 3-4 months old. I also want to add some more plants to the terrarium for him. Preferably something that I would be able to put at the top.
Welcome to the forum. Start reading everything in this husbandry program https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Make sure the feeders are small sized at about 1/4 of an inch.

A nice full umbrella plant or ficus can add height and fullness to an enclosure.

It can be stress related and it can be the set up of the enclosure. Reading through that husbandry program will give you the tools to make his/her enclosure perfect.

Let us know what questions you have after you read through that and provide pics of your entire enclosure lights down. :)

Yeah so I haven't finished reading but it already looks like I need a bigger enclosure. What feeders would you recommend? Up to now I've tried feeding him wax worms and mealworms, both of which are much larger than 1/4 of an inch. We're getting crickets but I'm not sure what else to get. I got him to eat a single mealworm, although he may have eaten more while I wasn't looking. If I get a bigger enclosure should it be mesh, or should it be glass? I was thinking of attaching a glass one to the current one so that in one area there is more humidity and the mesh one could be like a basking place.

Attachments

• IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 72
Yeah so I haven't finished reading but it already looks like I need a bigger enclosure. What feeders would you recommend? Up to now I've tried feeding him wax worms and mealworms, both of which are much larger than 1/4 of an inch. We're getting crickets but I'm not sure what else to get. I got him to eat a single mealworm, although he may have eaten more while I wasn't looking. If I get a bigger enclosure should it be mesh, or should it be glass? I was thinking of attaching a glass one to the current one so that in one area there is more humidity and the mesh one could be like a basking place.
So, I’ll let others weigh in your husbandry, but your enclosure would benefit from some added features. If you’re a chameleon, you feel safe up high in the trees, with the ability to move 2” and be hidden by foliage. As t is, your Cham needs to go all the way to the bottom of the cage to hide in foliage.

Hi and welcome! We’d love to help you get everything all set up correctly, but first you need to tell us what you’re doing/planning. This is the help form. Copy & paste with your answers. :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male Veiled chameleon. 3-4 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Barely at all. I've only picked him up to move him into his enclosure. I've had him for slightly less than a week
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am feeding him crickets, mealworms and wax worms. He hasn't been eating much but he seems to like crickets more than anything else. He only just started eating more than a couple bugs a day. Yesterday he ate ten crickets. I've been feeding the crickets apples. I try to keep a schedule where I feed him in the morning and at lunch, but he doesn't eat consistently at those times so I feed him basically all through out the day.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? The crickets I bought were pre-dusted with vitamins. I'm not sure with what. I'm about to start buying undusted ones so I'll dust them with calcium and feed those to him.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist every forty five minutes. I use a spray bottle and I try to make sure that all of the plants are covered.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He hasn't been tested for parasites. The dropping are black and at the edge is completely white.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought from Petco(?)

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Completely mesh other than the bottom. 15 1/2 inches L, 15 1/2 W, 28 inches H
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I'm not sure what model they are. They're both from Zoo Med. I turn on the white light one on in the mornings and I usually keep it on for most of the day. The only time I turn on the other one is if the temperature goes below 70.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The floor of the cage is usually at around 70 and the basking area is at 76 or 77 degrees.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I'm not sure what the humidity levels are. I have several live plants in there and I mist with warm water every 45 minutes.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I am using live plants. I'm using an Areca palm and an autumn fern
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The top og the cage is about 4 feet from my floor. It isn't near any fans, air vents, or traffic.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? 1200 feet above sea level. I'm in a fairly mountainous region.

He isn't eating as much as I would like. The most he has eaten in a day is ten crickets, while he should be eating around 18 (right?) I think its mostly due to the stress of moving in. I also want to know how I should get him to eat on a more consistent schedule. Right now the only way I can get him to eat is if I place a single cricket on the branch that he likes to stay on and get it to move up towards him. I'm also wondering if I should get a bigger glass enclosure for him so that the humidity is higher there. I was also wondering when there colors start to come in. Right now he is green. Sometimes he turns a greyish green color. I read that thats because hes either upset or trying to sun bathe.

Putting feedback in red. Get comfy...I talk a lot. ;)
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male Veiled chameleon. 3-4 months
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Barely at all. I've only picked him up to move him into his enclosure. I've had him for slightly less than a week Perfect! He needs time to adjust.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am feeding him crickets, mealworms and wax worms. He hasn't been eating much but he seems to like crickets more than anything else. Mealworms aren’t good to use and wax worms should just be for an occasional treat. Crickets are ok and you could/should add a few more staple feeders for variety. Attaching feeder sheet. He only just started eating more than a couple bugs a day. Yesterday he ate ten crickets. This is actually a pretty good amount for his age as long as the crickets are appropriately sized. You could offer from 12-15 and see if he accepts that many. I've been feeding the crickets apples. Apples are ok but you should add some greens and veggies to your crickets diet. It’s not really ‘gutloading’, but more feeding your bugs so that they are healthy and provide better nutrition for your cham. I try to keep a schedule where I feed him in the morning and at lunch, but he doesn't eat consistently at those times so I feed him basically all through out the day. Just one feeding in the morning or earlier part of the day is preferred. He needs time to bask and digest properly.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? The crickets I bought were pre-dusted with vitamins. I'm not sure with what. I'm about to start buying undusted ones so I'll dust them with calcium and feed those to him. Pre-dusted crickets? Yea...don’t get those anymore. While there’s so many different supplement regimens, I’m going to give you the easiest to follow. At every feeding lightly dust your buggies (right before feeding) with a phosphorus free calcium without D3. One feeding every two weeks, use Reptivite WITH D3. The Reptivite is a multivitamin and D3 combo.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist every forty five minutes. This is too much. It’s better to mist for at least 2 minutes early in the day, mid day and then later in the evening. Your enclosure needs to dry out in between. I use a spray bottle and I try to make sure that all of the plants are covered.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? He hasn't been tested for parasites. The dropping are black and at the edge is completely white. Getting a fecal test for parasites is always a good idea.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Bought from Petco(?)
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Completely mesh other than the bottom. 15 1/2 inches L, 15 1/2 W, 28 inches H Full screen enclosure is fine and actually is better for new keepers unless you are in a really dry area. However, your little guy is growing fast and will very soon need a much larger enclosure. The recommended minimum size for an adult male is 2x2x4’ or equivalent. Start planning now for the upgrade as he’ll be needing it within about a month or two.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? I'm not sure what model they are. They're both from Zoo Med. I turn on the white light one on in the mornings and I usually keep it on for most of the day. The only time I turn on the other one is if the temperature goes below 70. I can’t see from your pic, but I’ll guess that your uvb is the screw in bulb. Unfortunately, that type of uvb isn’t able to provide any significant uvb levels unless your cham is only a few inches away from it. To provide adequate uvb (which is essential for not just bones but overall health) you’ll need to get a linear T5 fixture with a 5.0 or 6% uvb bulb. It needs to be long enough to span the width of your enclosure.
    Basking light can be a regular old fashioned incandescent bulb (if you can find one) and start at about a 60w. Lights should be on/off on a 12 hour schedule. Basking area should be around 8-9” down from lights.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The floor of the cage is usually at around 70 and the basking area is at 76 or 77 degrees. Basking temp can be increased a bit to 80, but not any higher than 85 max. At night, temps can/should be cooler and chams can handle temps as low as the 50’s 60’s.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? I'm not sure what the humidity levels are. I have several live plants in there and I mist with warm water every 45 minutes. Is super important to know humidity. Hygrometers are relatively inexpensive. Ideal humidity should be between 30-50% during the day and at night when cool can get much higher.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I am using live plants. I'm using an Areca palm and an autumn fern This is a good start, although I’m not sure about the safety of autumn fern. Pothos, philodendron and wandering Jew all grow beautiful long leafed vines that you can draped over branches to provide areas of shade cover and pockets of humidity. Speaking of branches, you really need many more. Attaching a video which may help you figure out how to hang things.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The top og the cage is about 4 feet from my floor. It isn't near any fans, air vents, or traffic. Ok, but if you can get it any higher, that would be great. Chams feel safest when they are above us and looking down at their world.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? 1200 feet above sea level. I'm in a fairly mountainous region.
He isn't eating as much as I would like. The most he has eaten in a day is ten crickets, while he should be eating around 18 (right?) I think its mostly due to the stress of moving in. I also want to know how I should get him to eat on a more consistent schedule. Right now the only way I can get him to eat is if I place a single cricket on the branch that he likes to stay on and get it to move up towards him. I’d suggest using some type of feeder cup. The feeder run here https://tkchameleons.com/products/shooting-gallery?variant=30018608595032 is awesome. Many keepers make similar feeders on their own. Just watch for sharp edges if you do. I'm also wondering if I should get a bigger glass enclosure for him so that the humidity is higher there. I’d say stick with screen. It is much easier to adjust humidity by wrapping 1-3 sides with a shower curtain or other than trying to reduce levels in a glass enclosure. I was also wondering when there colors start to come in. Right now he is green. Sometimes he turns a greyish green color. I read that thats because hes either upset or trying to sun bathe. You have a veiled, so he isn’t going to get colorful like the panther chameleons do. He will start to show his bands of colors ranging from blues, oranges, yellows and some black or whatever his unique coloration is as he gets a bit older. When they are comfortable and relaxed, the males aren’t terribly bright but are a duller green and even a little grey in spots. This is normal. When he gets fired up (angry, unhappy, excited) is when his colors will become brighter. As your temps are on the lower side and I don’t really see that he has a proper basking area, he will be darker trying to absorb more heat and uvb. Once you get all set up better, you should see some improvements to his eating, activity level and coloration. He’ll be a much happier chameleon and will remain healthy. :)

17F3FE65-18FA-4432-8446-1DE959FCD62C.jpeg
06095CA8-9B21-489A-87A5-47CD015F520B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom