Advice needed

blutarsky

Hi Everyone,

Please indulge me for a moment while I give you some key information relative to the advice request. Last September I had neurosurgery to correct damage from a series of traumatic brain injuries I accumulated over my career. Despite a positive surgical outcome and increasing improvement with my symptoms I am really struggling right now to correctly care for my animals. The TBIs have plagued me for several years but really culminated last spring when I started having daily seizures, a marked cognitive drop and unfavorable reactions to medications. My family has stepped up to help me with my husbandry, but my lack of ability to consistently reach my care standards for these animals concerns me. I do not want to lose one more source of enjoyment in my life, however, these animals deserve the best available care and I have to face the fact that may not be in my capability right now.

Background: I am caring for four awesome Parson's chameleons. I have an incredibly beautiful and charming female YG that is a little over 2 y/o and a very cool trio (cbb/1.2) of c.p.p., Garrett's White Lip (Orange Eye) I purchased from another breeder that received them directly from Garrett as tiny babies last nearly a year ago. I was talking with Garrett at the time but couldn't get everything together before another great buyer came along and beat me to the punch. However, it turns out that individual was in close proximity (in a regional sense) to me and underestimated the necessary requirements in addition to his current breading project. I respect that, he kept them in great condition and was lucky to purchase them in March 2019. Over the last seven months they are thriving, are housed in large open air habitats, complete with vines, plants trees, auto misters, light your reptile sets for each w/top of the line Arcadia bulbs. I also have a Spyder robotics controller for multiple controlled ceramic heating and humidity elements. The habitats are set up in my Northerly exposed sunroom that receives both day through evening sunlight although the light sets provides the UVB. I have a thriving Dubia colony and also raise other food items such as red runners, discoids, six different sp of mantids....hopefully you get my point.

Issue: As much as I hate to do this, I believe it is in the best interest of the animals to re-home them if possible. Despite being a forum member for a few years I do not have permission to post for sale. I also have limited ability to reply to the myriad of requests for information and other comments that will invariably come from this endeavor. I do not want to re-home the YG unless I absolutely have to due to my condition deteriorating more rapidly.

Question: I know that several breeders and very experienced keepers participate / monitor the forum. If any of you have interest, please reach out in this thread and I'll contact you as I can. Some days are better than others and verbal communication can be difficult for me due to the location of my injuries. While slow, written comms are somewhat easier for me right now. If you have interest please indicate that in the thread and then I can send you a DM for further discussion. I am in no real hurry and just need to know I am considering the animals needs for the foreseeable future.

Here are a couple of pictures; the first is a photo from August of a closeup of the male (Cool Rick) and the next is a family photo of all three in one tree for a July picture day.
IMG_1959.jpeg

In the second picture below, you can see the larger of the two females has just finished a dubia snack and the other is full and on her way to another tree.

IMG_1892.jpeg

Hi Everyone,

Please indulge me for a moment while I give you some key information relative to the advice request. Last September I had neurosurgery to correct damage from a series of traumatic brain injuries I accumulated over my career. Despite a positive surgical outcome and increasing improvement with my symptoms I am really struggling right now to correctly care for my animals. The TBIs have plagued me for several years but really culminated last spring when I started having daily seizures, a marked cognitive drop and unfavorable reactions to medications. My family has stepped up to help me with my husbandry, but my lack of ability to consistently reach my care standards for these animals concerns me. I do not want to lose one more source of enjoyment in my life, however, these animals deserve the best available care and I have to face the fact that may not be in my capability right now.

Background: I am caring for four awesome Parson's chameleons. I have an incredibly beautiful and charming female YG that is a little over 2 y/o and a very cool trio (cbb/1.2) of c.p.p., Garrett's White Lip (Orange Eye) I purchased from another breeder that received them directly from Garrett as tiny babies last nearly a year ago. I was talking with Garrett at the time but couldn't get everything together before another great buyer came along and beat me to the punch. However, it turns out that individual was in close proximity (in a regional sense) to me and underestimated the necessary requirements in addition to his current breading project. I respect that, he kept them in great condition and was lucky to purchase them in March 2019. Over the last seven months they are thriving, are housed in large open air habitats, complete with vines, plants trees, auto misters, light your reptile sets for each w/top of the line Arcadia bulbs. I also have a Spyder robotics controller for multiple controlled ceramic heating and humidity elements. The habitats are set up in my Northerly exposed sunroom that receives both day through evening sunlight although the light sets provides the UVB. I have a thriving Dubia colony and also raise other food items such as red runners, discoids, six different sp of mantids....hopefully you get my point.

Issue: As much as I hate to do this, I believe it is in the best interest of the animals to re-home them if possible. Despite being a forum member for a few years I do not have permission to post for sale. I also have limited ability to reply to the myriad of requests for information and other comments that will invariably come from this endeavor. I do not want to re-home the YG unless I absolutely have to due to my condition deteriorating more rapidly.

Question: I know that several breeders and very experienced keepers participate / monitor the forum. If any of you have interest, please reach out in this thread and I'll contact you as I can. Some days are better than others and verbal communication can be difficult for me due to the location of my injuries. While slow, written comms are somewhat easier for me right now. If you have interest please indicate that in the thread and then I can send you a DM for further discussion. I am in no real hurry and just need to know I am considering the animals needs for the foreseeable future.

Here are a couple of pictures; the first is a photo from August of a closeup of the male (Cool Rick) and the next is a family photo of all three in one tree for a July picture day.
View attachment 251754

In the second picture below, you can see the larger of the two females has just finished a dubia snack and the other is full and on her way to another tree.

View attachment 251755
Firstly, I am sorry to hear that your TBIs are progressing.

Secondly, as I just told someone who is also rehoming their well loved creature - it takes a certain characteristic to admit that you cannot give your beloved animal the care you had envisioned. Its an often overlooked thing when people "rehome" their pet. So kudos to you being able to do this.

Lastly, I would be very interested. I have been on the look out for parsons lately and I always take in "rescues" [mostly local via word of mouth though].

My son used to have really bad, violent seizures and that's something that no one should have to go through - and very hard for a caregiver as there isn't anything to do but wait till it passes.

Regardless of being a candidate to receive any of these beautiful beasts... thank you for being able to admit your limits. It sets a great example.

I wish you the best!

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

View attachment 251754

View attachment 251755
Really sorry to hear this. It must be an agonising decision to have to make. You've clearly done a great job with these little guys up to now so major credit for that and for having to make such a decision. I hope things improve for you soon.

So sorry to hear of all the difficulties you're having. You must be very strong to be coping with this all. It's admirable that you are willing to part with such beautiful chameleons that you obviously have taken good care of. I'm not looking to buy them but I hope someone on here who will be able to look after them the way they need to be looked after will buy them. All the best to you. It can't be easy going through what you're going through. Take care.

Im in for the Male if your willing to break up the set. 985-722-6221 or PM me here.

Thank you, I will see if I can get the group re-homed together but I will reach out to you and keep you informed as this progresses.

Firstly, I am sorry to hear that your TBIs are progressing.

Secondly, as I just told someone who is also rehoming their well loved creature - it takes a certain characteristic to admit that you cannot give your beloved animal the care you had envisioned. Its an often overlooked thing when people "rehome" their pet. So kudos to you being able to do this.

Lastly, I would be very interested. I have been on the look out for parsons lately and I always take in "rescues" [mostly local via word of mouth though].

My son used to have really bad, violent seizures and that's something that no one should have to go through - and very hard for a caregiver as there isn't anything to do but wait till it passes.

Regardless of being a candidate to receive any of these beautiful beasts... thank you for being able to admit your limits. It sets a great example.

I wish you the best!

Thank you for the note, it sounds like your son's seizures are controlled, I hope so, yes, it is miserable for everyone involved and oddly enough I think it is easier to have them than to watch them in a loved one.
I'll reach out to you in a PM shortly and discuss....

Really sorry to hear this. It must be an agonising decision to have to make. You've clearly done a great job with these little guys up to now so major credit for that and for having to make such a decision. I hope things improve for you soon.

Thank you for the supporting words. Yes, it is upsetting but keeping what's best for these awesome animals as the prime consideration makes it's easier. If there is one thing I have learned is that you never know when it's going to be time to demonstrate flexibility. Also, in these times it is amazing how people naturally come together for support so in a way its a blessing to see that and well.

So sorry to hear of all the difficulties you're having. You must be very strong to be coping with this all. It's admirable that you are willing to part with such beautiful chameleons that you obviously have taken good care of. I'm not looking to buy them but I hope someone on here who will be able to look after them the way they need to be looked after will buy them. All the best to you. It can't be easy going through what you're going through. Take care.
Thank you for the note, I appreciate the kind words and hopefully we'll find the right situation shortly.

Sorry for the delay, I've not gotten back to anyone directly. I apologize for the inconvenience as I'm sure you can imagine it is difficult for me now to stay focused and I'm needing help with communication to ensure that I'm keeping things straight. Please allow me to get through the holiday and then I'll have a better idea how to approach this at that time. I appreciate the good wishes and we are keeping the animals in great shape for the time being. I'll put another post out the beginning of next week.

Back
Top Bottom