Advice needed on cage.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - There are two chameleons in this enclosure, split in the middle. Rue 7 months old and ivy 1 year. I have had both in my care for 5 months now.
  • Handling - Ivy is handled once a day and rue is once every other day depending on their moods.
  • Feeding - We feed them crickets, gut-loaded with different fruits, Meal worms and wax worms as a treat every other week or so. Also use calcium powder without d3 everyday and alternate on sundays between calcium with d3 and a multi vitamin supplement.
  • Watering - we mist the enclosure mainly 3 times per day providing humidity and water. In addition we have a dripped on each side. I have seen them drink realitivly consistently.
  • Fecal Description - the irate comes out first and it is white in color and soft. However the main fecal is brown to dark brown and solid. Never been tested for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - it is a combo cage with mesh on the bottom and top and glass on the sides and front, this gives good ventilation with the chimney effect. The decisions for each chameleon is 2ft by2ft by 4 ft.
  • Lighting - there are 3 led 6000k light bulbs for the plants on top in addition to a 24in Arcadia 6.0 uvb bulb. Also a ceramic heat emitter.
  • Temperature - the basking spot is at 90 to 92 degrees and the bottom of the cage stays around 72 degrees ferinheit.
  • Humidity - the humidity ranges from 55 to 70 during the day and reaches 80 at night.
  • Plants - Yes, there are umbrella trees, pathos, and dracena.
  • Placement - The cage is set up in a small living area with little traffic. It is 6 feet off of the ground. There is a fan in the center of the room, roughly 10 feet away.
  • Location - Pennsylvania

Attachments

• ED3FB498-FD1B-4B52-996D-F55F4494E945.jpeg
    ED3FB498-FD1B-4B52-996D-F55F4494E945.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 84
  • FD4B7EE8-B62D-4414-A365-693CD0487B75.jpeg
    FD4B7EE8-B62D-4414-A365-693CD0487B75.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 86
  • AC566E0E-6FC1-4439-87AF-2F89CA5F3975.jpeg
    AC566E0E-6FC1-4439-87AF-2F89CA5F3975.jpeg
    223 KB · Views: 112
  • 24FB1EA8-6A72-4124-9C9C-C0A0E903E9C4.jpeg
    24FB1EA8-6A72-4124-9C9C-C0A0E903E9C4.jpeg
    215.5 KB · Views: 94
  • 28508274-E244-4063-AE78-D3EDBBB68A60.jpeg
    28508274-E244-4063-AE78-D3EDBBB68A60.jpeg
    233.1 KB · Views: 92
  • EE7FEBB4-C72D-459E-88C3-96D4DFFBC1CA.jpeg
    EE7FEBB4-C72D-459E-88C3-96D4DFFBC1CA.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
want to walk us through all those top shenanigans? 4 domes and a linear and a fan???

Also cham and temps and humidity might help.

At least the cham will have ground effects that are 6500k :)

Looks pretty good! How far are the basking branches from the lights? And also looks like you have a female, do you have a laybin in the enclosure? And what nightanole said above lol^^^

I love that you hung the plants but I would use a wood dowel or something on the top for the zip tie to hook through so the weight is not on the screen. If they tear through it is kinda a disaster waiting to happen.

I love that you hung the plants but I would use a wood dowel or something on the top for the zip tie to hook through so the weight is not on the screen. If they tear through it is kinda a disaster waiting to happen.
The screen is metal but good advice ty.

You basking temps are to high for a female. Should be 85 for a female.

Fine for the male though. Just be careful where you measure the temp from. Don’t want him burning his casque.

You basking temps are to high for a female. Should be 85 for a female.

Fine for the male though. Just be careful where you measure the temp from. Don’t want him burning his casque.
In my opinion still a bit too high...I do mine like this.

Female - 78-82, never above 85 if I ever see something above 85 then I turn the heat off.

Male - 80-85 MAX nothing above 85 as well.

It also depends which species I am mainly talking about veiled and panthers...

In my opinion still a bit too high...I do mine like this.

Female - 78-82, never above 85 if I ever see something above 85 then I turn the heat off.

Male - 80-85 MAX nothing above 85 as well.

It also depends which species I am mainly talking about veiled and panthers...

agree. I believe they have veileds as that’s what I could see in one of the pics. That’s why I thought It was fine for a male. But I wouldn’t want to risk a burn.

Ok then... I will take my leave from this thread. You might want to take feedback from others that try to help you. You have multiple things in your husbandry that should be corrected. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
What should be corrected, out of curiosity? This post was made to correct said problems so I would appreciate advice. Just mesh, no offense, is something I can fix at anytime. And something that is not particular as important as other husbandry issues.

Yeah that is why I think lower is better than higher. All high temps do is risk a thermal burn. They can survive lower temps in the wild.
Yes I'm sorry i forgot to mention that they are both veiked chameleons. Thank you for the heating mistakes, I will raise the heaters in order to lower the Temps. Thank you so much.

Putting my feedback in red.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - There are two chameleons in this enclosure, split in the middle. Rue 7 months old and ivy 1 year. I have had both in my care for 5 months now. Are they able to see each other? If so, that is a chronic stress or for them. Chameleons are loners and get stressed when near/able to see other chams.
  • Handling - Ivy is handled once a day and rue is once every other day depending on their moods.
  • Feeding - We feed them crickets, gut-loaded with different fruits, Meal worms and wax worms as a treat every other week or so. Also use calcium powder without d3 everyday and alternate on sundays between calcium with d3 and a multi vitamin supplement. Supplements are okay, feeders need improvement. Attaching feeder and gutload sheets for you.
  • Watering - we mist the enclosure mainly 3 times per day providing humidity and water. In addition we have a dripped on each side. I have seen them drink realitivly consistently. Misting 3 times daily is ok. Should be for 2 minutes each time...early AM, mid day and right before lights out. Dripper should be just for about 15-20 minutes. To keep humidity down, you could eliminate the mid day misting and use the dripper instead.
  • Fecal Description - the irate comes out first and it is white in color and soft. However the main fecal is brown to dark brown and solid. Never been tested for parasites. I’m a firm believer in wellness checks and at minimum a fecal check for parasites.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - it is a combo cage with mesh on the bottom and top and glass on the sides and front, this gives good ventilation with the chimney effect. The decisions for each chameleon is 2ft by2ft by 4 ft.
  • Lighting - there are 3 led 6000k light bulbs for the plants on top in addition to a 24in Arcadia 6.0 uvb bulb. Also a ceramic heat emitter. Most use a basking light instead of heat emitter, but ok.
  • Temperature - the basking spot is at 90 to 92 degrees and the bottom of the cage stays around 72 degrees ferinheit. Way too hot! Ideal temps should be lower 80’s...like 80-82 for both. Male can be a little warmer but not above 85.
  • Humidity - the humidity ranges from 55 to 70 during the day and reaches 80 at night. Too high. Needs to be kept between 30-50% during the day. Night when it’s cooler it can go all the way to 100%.
  • Plants - Yes, there are umbrella trees, pathos, and dracena.
  • Placement - The cage is set up in a small living area with little traffic. It is 6 feet off of the ground. There is a fan in the center of the room, roughly 10 feet away.
  • Location - Pennsylvania
It’s hard to tell, but it looks like you have a soil substrate...is this so? If it is, are your enclosures bioactive? If they are not, it’s best to get rid of the soil and keep just bare floor. Much more hygienic and easier to keep clean.
No idea what type/brand enclosure you have but @Beman is correct that screen can’t bear any significant amounts of weight. Not gonna argue it with you though.

• 03556D26-B93D-41CD-A442-B2C612D560F8.jpeg
    3C281305-9C2F-486C-A6B2-17036B98A527.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom