Advice needed - maybe be ill

Karancon

Hi - I have a female veiled - got her at Petco so have no idea of her age. I've had her for about 5 weeks. She is in a Reptibreeze 18x18x36; Mistking (first spray )730 5 minutes, last at 1700 5 minutes, and in between every 2 hours for 4 minutes; live plants and fake, lighting is a reptisun 5.0 and 75 watt basking lamp (12 on 12 off with timers). I am in New England, we have central air with house kept around 69 - but hr highest basking point is over 100 today, and sometimes she perches there, other times a little lower. she usually roames. She has shed twice. A few weeks ago she went off of crickets, but would eat a few super-worms, Dubai, or horn worms if I held them in front of her on a plastic container lid. Won't eat from cup. last 3 days not eating anything. We don't handle her, she tries to bite; Her bowel movements are white and the rest runny, no black or brown part. her color is great, her eyes don't look dehydrated, just not open much and today shes not moving. Still in her sleep spot, just talked to my son and said shes looking around, but not moving. Cage picture is from today - hand picture day we bought here

Attachments

• Vanessa.jpg
    Vanessa.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Chameleons can be picky, and they can go a few days without eating. We have one that would live on super worms and silkworms, he will go days ignoring crickets.
You might try other feeders. You also might want to increase the ambient temperature. If she goes long without moving around you might try to find a reptile vet.

Just added a few more pictures - she has moved -

Attachments

• IMG_2108.JPG
    IMG_2108.JPG
    264.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_2105.JPG
    IMG_2105.JPG
    345.2 KB · Views: 142
Being told by a Forum staff member that she is dehydrated - I'm at work and going crazy - my son just sent this pic. Going to run the mister for a good long time when I get home and add more to the schedule. Not sure what else I can do.
IMG_2112.JPG

How often have you been spraying. She looks wet in the photo, but in my old age my eyes are not that good. If you spray through the screen most of our chameleons lick the water from the screen. If she is dehydrated you might want to increase the humidity, at least temporarily.

I highly suggest you fill ou the "how to ask for help" outline. It will help us find any problems with husbandry right away. and 100 for a female veiled is too hot. most keep it upper 80's

Her basking spot should not be over 100°! You're cooking her. Fill out the how to ask for help form please. Lower her temps to low to mid 80s

I went back and looked at the photo again and you might be right...she might be doing it because she was just drinking...but if shes sleeping a lot there is still a problem.

Is there a vent blowing on her cage?
Karancon ...what supplements do you use and how often for each? What do you feed/gutload the insects with?

Shes not doing good - seeing a vet today - both eyes are closed but shes trying hard to climb. I soaked her last night, didn't really open her mouth - let me hold her - I've increased the misting today, but shes hanging on a side that doesn't get much water.

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
- veiled female - purchased from PetCo so don't know age - she is shedding every 4 weeks

* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
-almost never

* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule?
How are you gut-loading your feeders?
-She was getting 5 crickets a day - all she would eat. Gut loaded with cricket crack and greens - supplemented with Dubais, supers and horned. stopped eating all together a week ago before shed

* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
-rep cal with d3 twice a week -

* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
-MistKing - 7:30 am 5 minutes - %;30 pm 5 minutes - and then 4 minutes every 2 hours in between

* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
started out looking good - last week just white, no brown or black

* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
-Hadher for 6 weeks

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
-screen,18x18x36 reptibreeze

* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
-Reptisun 5.0 and 75 watt basking - 12/12

* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
-90 -100 basking spot, 72 bottom, 63 at night, digital thermometer. Keep it hotter because of the central air in room

* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
-50-60 - MistKing - duel temp/humidity gauge

* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
-Ficus, Dracaena, some plastic

* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
-Family room in the back corner, couple feet from vent, its on a table that is three feet high

* Location - Where are you geographically located?
-Eastern CT

A couple weeks ago she was grey almost black, I had a 60watt blue light that came with the kit I was sold - sapped it out for the 75 and she has been a nice green ever since - except last night she went white green - but this morning looks good again, color wise

I went back and looked at the photo again and you might be right...she might be doing it because she was just drinking...but if shes sleeping a lot there is still a problem.

Is there a vent blowing on her cage?
Karancon ...what supplements do you use and how often for each? What do you feed/gutload the insects with?

After looking at her last night and this morning - I'm not sure she is sleeping - I just think her eyes won't open

Your husbandry isn't bad but could use a few changes. You should be dusting daily w/o d3, 2x per month with d3, 2x per month vitamin. Alternating weeks for those. Basking is a little high take it Down to 90 max. Sadly petco is a terrible place to purchase from, it's a death sentence for many Chams, but with a good vet and husbandry there is hope. Good luck

Not really - but I did mist her for 1/2 and hour last night and another this morning - Could that help open her eyes?

Your husbandry isn't bad but could use a few changes. You should be dusting daily w/o d3, 2x per month with d3, 2x per month vitamin. Alternating weeks for those. Basking is a little high take it Down to 90 max. Sadly petco is a terrible place to purchase from, it's a death sentence for many Chams, but with a good vet and husbandry there is hope. Good luck

They tried to sell us stuff we didn't need - no one ever mentioned w/o D3 or vitamins. I've been learning on my own. The fact that I've done something to make her sick is making me sick. She has a bitchy little attitude - but it suits her. The basking light has driven me crazy - I don't need a blue light, right? So if I replace the 75 with a 60 I should be good? Is it just a coincidence that her color improved when I went with a higher wattage?

Being told by a Forum staff member that she is dehydrated - I'm at work and going crazy - my son just sent this pic. Going to run the mister for a good long time when I get home and add more to the schedule. Not sure what else I can do. View attachment 184662
A shower would help with the dehydration part. place a live plant in the shower. room temp water, place her in the plant, and then lightly aim the water at the wall so it bounces off and hits the cham/plant

Yeah, it has happened to most or all of us at some point @Karancon the best we can do is move forward doing the right things. Now you know to not trust petco. You want a regular halogen bulb or similar. The watt just depends on temperature, 60 should be fine just move it up or down to get the correct temperature you want. You're right, don't use the blue or red lights.

Back
Top Bottom