Advancements in Lighting. The 2 Basking area Method.

Venutus1

Avid Member
Site Sponsor
I had originally posted this as a reply on another thread, but it probably deserves to be in it's own stand alone thread. :rolleyes:

Something to consider for larger cages:

The 2 basing light method.

It's a variation on the "The Light an Shade Method".

This is simple and cheap and can offer the animal a broader choice of basking Areas with a wider variation in UV levels.

You could use bulbs of slightly different wattage so the temps will vary a bit. And with your temp gun or thermometer...
adjust branches under each dome to offer a bit of variety.
Sort of "fine tuning".

Position one closer to/ right near the (array) of UVB flo. bulb(s)

Position one farther away (say in the back corner) from the UV generating light source.

Now you have some different UV zones (ei: UV gradients) as well as some different basking temp. zones.

This creates an environment that allows the animal the broadest choices.
THINK:
Just like Nature.

Also, you can use a dome with an 80 WATT Merc. Vapor bulb in it along with a second dome with a household bulb in it positioned across the cage.
Along with the Merc vapor--- you would use for general lighting and background UV, a dual bulb HO t5 over the cage with a 6% UVB HO T5 in it and a 6.5k daylight bulb. And you still keep the dome with the household bulb in it off to the side for the "low UVB but plenty of heat" basking area.

This creates an environment that allows the animal the broadest choices.
THINK:
Just like Nature.

One of the benefits with the above is:
They are not "forced" to sit and soak up more UV than they want when trying to get warm just to digest food!
Conversely:
They can bask and get plenty of heat along with UV if they feel the need.

Also:
LIVE PLANTS will do great.

Here is an article from the European magazine talking about creating different zones so the animal can choose what they need.

It is called "The Light an Shade Method"

It is catching on in Europe and will be the gold standard here soon I believe.
Why?
Because it is the best for the animals and does not force them to live (And make CHOICES) in an overly limiting and restrictive environment.

http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/files..._PRK_Mar13.pdf

PS.
PLUS
if anyone has Bearded Dragons, this IS the way to go too...
because they are in cages that do not offer as much vertical variation in UV and heat to choose from as a Chams cage can...
In other words:
They are in a much less 3 dimensional set up--
so the 2 basking area is the way to go for them too so they have more and better choices!

Yes, Friends....
A new day is dawning on reptile care... and I am excited!
:)

Cheers!
Todd

Hi Todd,

Fleetwood here. Hey I do want to purchase lighting from you but I am still confused on what I should by. I have 7 chams now. 2- 24 X24x48 vivs /1- 18x18x36/1- 16x16x24 and 2 16x16. I am using a megaray 100watt UVB in the larger cages and the rest have repti-sun uvb bulbs (all placed at appropriate distance from closest perch point) My question is about the other lighting. I have 75watt halogen on clip lights that I use for the lumens and plants. They are great for both really throw a lot of nice light BUT SO HOT. I have to make a change before summer. ? Do you have LED that can give me the lumens and plant light I need? I have tried a small marineland LED light I got from a pet store but it just doesn't give enough lumens. I only use it on the smallest viv . ? I also would like LED options with a blue night bulb. The marineland has this and that part works well and is nice since it doesn't disturb their sleep cycle. If you need photos just let me know.
Thanks in advance

Hi Todd,

Fleetwood here. Hey I do want to purchase lighting from you but I am still confused on what I should by. I have 7 chams now. 2- 24 X24x48 vivs /1- 18x18x36/1- 16x16x24 and 2 16x16. I am using a megaray 100watt UVB in the larger cages and the rest have repti-sun uvb bulbs (all placed at appropriate distance from closest perch point) My question is about the other lighting. I have 75watt halogen on clip lights that I use for the lumens and plants. They are great for both really throw a lot of nice light BUT SO HOT. I have to make a change before summer. ? Do you have LED that can give me the lumens and plant light I need? I have tried a small marineland LED light I got from a pet store but it just doesn't give enough lumens. I only use it on the smallest viv . ? I also would like LED options with a blue night bulb. The marineland has this and that part works well and is nice since it doesn't disturb their sleep cycle. If you need photos just let me know.
Thanks in advance

Hi Fleetwood
" Do you have LED that can give me the lumens and plant light I need?"

OH YES! Jungle Dawn® LED.
:D

But so we don't get in trouble here conducting business in a thread...
:eek:

Shoot me an e-mail with some pics of your set ups and we will go from there. :)

Thank you!
Todd
e/m
[email protected]

Pics of Jungle dawn® led and Grow and Glow LED growing 7 ft grapefruit tree in house.

Attachments

• gg10.jpg
    gg10.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 168
  • led on grapefruit tree1.jpg
    led on grapefruit tree1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 128
  • grapefruit tree.jpg
    grapefruit tree.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 163
Just letting you know the link to the pdf turns up page not found.

Sounds a lot like I've been doing for years depending on the size and location of the enclosures and lizards within. I'm a big advocate for thermogradients and lots of choices as opposed to hot spots and cool cages...

Just letting you know the link to the pdf turns up page not found.

Sounds a lot like I've been doing for years depending on the size and location of the enclosures and lizards within. I'm a big advocate for thermogradients and lots of choices as opposed to hot spots and cool cages...

"opposed to hot spots and cool cages"

So true Fluxilizard!

We need more folks to tune into this frequency. :D

try this link
http://www.arcadia-reptile.com/files/2013/01/004_PRK_Mar13.pdf

Cheers!

I really like this idea. I have been thinking about this a lot lately and will probably get the ball rolling soon. I have also been wanting to upgrade my UVB to an arcadia 6%. I have a 2x2x4 enclosure with an 8'' heat lamp with a 60w house bulb for basking, a 20w Jungle dawn Grow and glow for my live plants along with a Reptisun 10.0 UVB light. If I were to get a dual Hood with 1 Arcadia 6% HO and 1 6500K day bulb and use it with my Jungle dawn and possibly 2 different basking spots, would that be too much light? I don't want to damage my guys vision but i do want the cage to be a bit brighter than it is ATM. The reptisun just does not put out as much light as I would like.

Back
Top Bottom