Adult Panther concerned about Puffy Eye

Multivitamins

Chameleon Enthusiast
Background

Male panther from local, breeder southern California feeds mainly on bsfl and fly, silk worms, occasionally crickets added treats are super worm and the occasional hornworm when LLL sells singles.

I've had my chameleon for 3 years now and seem to have his lighting misting and temperatures fairly regulated I have three different thermometers / hydrometers I think that's the word for what measures humidity at least a various locations in the enclosure to ensure basking and ambient temps are within range.

I have a linear t5 when placed I did verify with solar meter for UVB output.
I currently have two domes for heat and a 70 W sansi LED plant growth on top of my 2x2x4 semi-customize zoo med screen cage.
He does allow handling and we take some time outside in natural light when temps are good.

enclosure
The back wall has an egg crate/great stuff backing with live plants potted in. use a mist King as well as hand mist to provide humidity as well as drinking options and have all live plans or real wood branches none of the fake rubberized ones which had led to eye issues in the past that were resolved through my local exotic veterinarian. They had irrigated his eye at one point in time after using antibiotic ointment as it seemed he had either gotten debris from a fake Vine hence the removal and rebuild of his enclosure or possibly from a cricket biting him which seemed unlikely to me but the vet said was very possible healthy skepticism but i scaled back feeding crickets and no longer leave them loose in the enclosure.

The issue
My my boy over the past week has shed only on his eyes and seems to have a little bit of build up or puffiness I'll include photos for review ...

As for supplements
I use the Arcadia calcium on almost every feeder
I have calcium with D3
multivitamin w/o D3
that is used once monthly
Rapashy multivitamin "supervite" that to my understanding does have some D3 and does have vit A so I use it alternatively to regular calcium w D3 on feedings typicality worms that I know he will eat.

i now fear I'm out of sync or balance on vitamins supplements as his eye seems to be retaining fluids only on one side

he is active eats regularly and has normal bowels last vet appointment he had a clean bill of health minus the eye irrigation and shows no signs of r.i no gape no hissing or wheezing.

TLDR
his eye is puffy on one side I wanna know if it should cut or boost suppliment or change environmental controls.

Attachments

• 20220126_110354.jpg
    20220126_110354.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220126_112443.jpg
    20220126_112443.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20220126_111256.jpg
    20220126_111256.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220126_112450.jpg
    20220126_112450.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 94
Background

Male panther from local, breeder southern California feeds mainly on bsfl and fly, silk worms, occasionally crickets added treats are super worm and the occasional hornworm when LLL sells singles.

I've had my chameleon for 3 years now and seem to have his lighting misting and temperatures fairly regulated I have three different thermometers / hydrometers I think that's the word for what measures humidity at least a various locations in the enclosure to ensure basking and ambient temps are within range.

I have a linear t5 when placed I did verify with solar meter for UVB output.
I currently have two domes for heat and a 70 W sansi LED plant growth on top of my 2x2x4 semi-customize zoo med screen cage.
He does allow handling and we take some time outside in natural light when temps are good.

enclosure
The back wall has an egg crate/great stuff backing with live plants potted in. use a mist King as well as hand mist to provide humidity as well as drinking options and have all live plans or real wood branches none of the fake rubberized ones which had led to eye issues in the past that were resolved through my local exotic veterinarian. They had irrigated his eye at one point in time after using antibiotic ointment as it seemed he had either gotten debris from a fake Vine hence the removal and rebuild of his enclosure or possibly from a cricket biting him which seemed unlikely to me but the vet said was very possible healthy skepticism but i scaled back feeding crickets and no longer leave them loose in the enclosure.

The issue
My my boy over the past week has shed only on his eyes and seems to have a little bit of build up or puffiness I'll include photos for review ...

As for supplements
I use the Arcadia calcium on almost every feeder
I have calcium with D3
multivitamin w/o D3
that is used once monthly
Rapashy multivitamin "supervite" that to my understanding does have some D3 and does have vit A so I use it alternatively to regular calcium w D3 on feedings typicality worms that I know he will eat.

i now fear I'm out of sync or balance on vitamins supplements as his eye seems to be retaining fluids only on one side

he is active eats regularly and has normal bowels last vet appointment he had a clean bill of health minus the eye irrigation and shows no signs of r.i no gape no hissing or wheezing.

TLDR
his eye is puffy on one side I wanna know if it should cut or boost suppliment or change environmental controls.
That arcadia product is not earthpro A. It’s calcium pro MG, and my experience is that it’s very heavy on the magnesium. Use it twice a month max, and mix 50:50 with plain calcium.

I think your supps are way off. The supervite you have is very strong, and the arcadia powder you’re using is meant to be used once or twice a month. Please do this:

Plain calcium (NOT CALCIUM PRO MG) with no d3 every feeding. And repashy calcium plus LoD twice a month.

There are alternative supplement regimes, but this one is super simple and safe. Let’s get him on this and revisit in two week.

That arcadia product is not earthpro A. It’s calcium pro MG, and my experience is that it’s very heavy on the magnesium. Use it twice a month max, and mix 50:50 with plain calcium.
Wow 😳 I overlooked that! Thank you I'll be mindful to mix it and start using a plain calcium.

There’s a proper way to use it, but only twice a month.
Thank you so much ! I have a different brand I can start using / mixing it with.
Lesson learned read twice order once. It goes to show that we all can make mistakes and I'm once again very grateful for the chameleon forums and the knowledge base that the users provide. Thankfully it's only been since I got the new UVB bulb from Arcadia I've been using this but still a little mistake that could have large consequences. "Experienced" keeper or not we can all use a little community support. I'll make the swap immediately and see how the results track. Hopefully it's something this simple.

Thank you so much ! I have a different brand I can start using / mixing it with.
Lesson learned read twice order once. It goes to show that we all can make mistakes and I'm once again very grateful for the chameleon forums and the knowledge base that the users provide. Thankfully it's only been since I got the new UVB bulb from Arcadia I've been using this but still a simple mistake. "Experienced" keeper or not. I'll make the swap immediately and see how the results track. Hopefully it's something this simple.
It’s very easy to grab the wrong bag of stuff at the pet store.

Lesson learned read twice order once. It goes to show that we all can make mistakes and I'm once again very grateful for the chameleon forums and the knowledge base that the users provide. Thankfully it's only been since I got the new UVB bulb from Arcadia I've been using this but still a little mistake that could have large consequences. "Experienced" keeper or not we can all use a little community support. I'll make the swap immediately and see how the results track. Hopefully it's something this simple.
Man, I can’t tell you how many disasters I’ve narrowly dodged.

Back
Top Bottom